Help with Situation Continued.......

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-09-07 AT 02:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]HELP!!!! Supervisor has come back tuck tailed and requested job back. First reaction is to not reinstate him, but open to other suggestions.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How long has he been gone?
    Was performance satisfactory?
    Is he in a protected class?
    How many others have you allowed to come back in the past?
  • I wouldn't.

The guy tried to push you around by playing hardball and he lost.

Move on. He's a hothead. He isn't fit to be a supervisor.
  • Hey Guys, not that easy. What does your boss or his boss want to do? How long did this guy work for you? Ask him what were his issues with the irate emplloyee to make him quit. "What were you thinking?"

Remember, your job is to do what is best for the company. Rescinding the resignation may make points all around.

If he was just a so-so supervisor, follow your gut.
  • I would also consider what type of message are you sending to the rest of the workforce if you bring this guy back. Is this the first time he has thrown down the gauntlet?
  • I agree with Ritaanz's questions & comments. Get more info then consider carefully so you don't create a legal problem with a future term. If you do keep the supv, document & use the situation to help his boss learn what's going on & help teach the supv to act more professional.
  • DO NOT REINSTATE!!!!!

No way no how!
  • "Each employee is allowed one temper tantrum and voluntary walking off the job without notice. Employee will be scolded and a nondisciplinary advisory will be placed in their file. Second offense could result in actual discipline." Unless you have a history of allowing such behavior you should advise the supervisor when he/she could be eligible for rehire consideration.
    Unless of course there is a medical condition which excuses such behavior then you have a whole new set of problems.
  • Keep in mind I am generally a cautionary voice on this board. I think we yell "fire!" too quickly.

But in this case, without knowing all the details, and without hearing a compelling reason to bring the supervisor back, I think its best to move forward.

He quit. Maybe he was bluffing. Either way, you called him on it. Now stick to your guns.

If you bring him back, it will be about 2 weeks before he starts telling other employees how you "begged him to come back".
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-10-07 AT 05:36PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I am usually one of those who accepts resignations and seldom reconsider, however, there have been a couple of occasions where the circumstances warranted me changing my mind. In your case I would need additional information. For instance:
    Is the supervisor doing a good job and had simply reached his limit on how much he could take from what sounds like a high maintenance employee? Was "The he walks or I walk" statement one of total frustation, and this last episode the straw that broke the camels back or a macho way of saying "this employee scares the hell out of me". I would leave personal feelings aside and base my decision on the facts and what is best for the business.
    I guess an employee with anger management issues who puts holes in the wall could be of greater value to the business then a good supervisor. However, I know I wouldn't like to be close by when this employee throws another temper tantrum holding a wrench in his hand. Nor would a "gee I am so sorry" do much for me right after he injured or killed anothr employee.
  • I agree that you should look at all of the facts involved and make a decision that is best for the business. This is not a one answer fits all situation.

Most of the time I am a firm believer that once an employee resigns, I accept the resignation and move on. However, last year, we had a situation where in haste a manager in complete frustration resigned to his manager right on the spot. He contacted me about an hour later, and wanted to talk with myself and the CEO. Long story short, we reviewed both his actions and the actions of his manager. After a lot of discussions with both he and his manager about how things would be handled going forward and some minor restructuring (which made sense for the business), he returned to work, and has been doing well ever since.

Please let us know how things work out......
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-15-07 AT 07:56AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We did not reinstate the supervisor. Thank you for all your help.
  • That's it? Can you provide additional info?