Annual Physicals

Does anyone out there require all employees to undergo annual physicals, including bloodwork & ua's? We are considering incorporating this requirement into a Wellness program. At company expense, of course. All feedback appreciated.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not require annual physicals. However, we offer an on site health clinic one day per week. The clinic is staffed by a nurse practitioner and to receive a 10% discount on the health insurance premium, the employees must see the nurse to have bloodwork, weight & BMI done. The nurse follows-up with any employees that have chronic health problems like diabetes or high blood pressure, which makes for a healthier workforce and lower insurance rates.
  • I think you should be careful with a "requirement" of a physical unless there is a need for this qualification for the job. Some of our employees are required to have an annual physical and we pay for that, but others are not under the same requirements for their jobs and we do not provide for a physical for them. Other things, such as TB testing, HEP B vaccinations, flu shots are provided for those who want them, but unless required by their job we do not mandate that they get them.
  • I agree with Sassy. I think it would be a great benefit that your company offers annual physicals to all ee's; but I would not make it a requirement unless it is necessary to prove their actual ability to perform the job duties.
    Sounds like you are really overhauling your benefit program. Good luck...
  • We just had insurance renewal. Because of our census, (median age is 52 & average age is 51) and claims history, we got hit with a pretty good increase. We would like to be able to continue paying 80% of the premiums for ee's and their families so we are considering taking a proactive approach. 70% of our ee's are DOT Class drivers and are already required to pass either a bi-annual physical or annual physical, so we would just be looking at adding the bloodwork for those. 15% are mechanics, for whom I think, by the nature of their jobs, annual physicals could easily be required and written in to the job description. My biggest concern is the remaining 15 % who are either clerical or managers. Company President is very adamant that all management personnel take an annual physical. I'm just trying to keep us out of hot water and thought perhaps requiring everyone to take an annual physical might be the route to go.

Thanks for your input.