Training the new trainer

I could use some help. I work for a small private software company and we recently had a trainer position become available due to internal promotion. Anyway, an employee from our support department has applied and been turned down for this position twice, but has again expressed his interest in the position.

Since he has been so persistent and obviously has a sincere interest, we decided to let him move to the training department on an interim basis to determine if he would be successful. After 3-6 months of observation, he would be offered the training position if he does well.

Sorry for the long post, but we haven't done anything like this before and I want to make sure we set clear expectations, goals, objectives, how we're going to develop him, etc. Any advice? I don't want to set him up for failure nor do I want this to be a half baked program.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have this happen on occasion as well with people re-applying for the same position. What's worked well for us is to have a brief interview with them to see what they've done to prepare themselves for the role since their last interview. If nothing has changed, we advise them again what our expectations are and it becomes their responsibility to do something about it.

Curious as to why he's been given the opportunity, there's something to say for persistence but also think it's a fine line before feeling like you're badgered into it.

Is he a good coach? Anything in his background that makes you believe he'll do well in this role besides his interest? Don't want to downplay interest as passion for the position is key.

There are several train the trainer type of courses available and will check with our Training team as know they found one in particular to be very helpful. May want to have him join ASTD (Association for people in the Training profession)

As far as tracking progress, would use the same criteria and expectations that you set in place when you posted the position.

Determining success in this area will depend on what type of training he's doing - is it customer's (can use survey's before & after training followed up by another survey after they're back on the job), if it's internal team members would look at increasing efficiencies - how much more productive or knowledgeable are they after going through training.
  • I like MBeams answer.

The only thing I would add has to do with analyzing why this person was turned down TWICE before. I would examine the reasons to determine if there is specific development related to the earlier denials.

If those reasons are no longer valid, then as MBeam suggest, I would lay out the job description expectations with a time line to achieve the desired level of performance.

If the reasons are still valid, then you have another kettle of fish to fry. Add on whatever additional concerns to the probationary period and go from there. For example, if the person has difficulty speaking in a group setting, perhaps a Toastmasters assignment is called for. But really, if the reasons for being turned down earlier have to do with job qualifications, then I would have serious reservations about setting this EE up for failure rather than success.

Hiring an accountant to be a nurse would just not work for example.

• Well, the one thing I wouldn't do is wait until the end of the 3 or 6 months (you might want to decided the length of time) to give the employee feedback. Thats a recipe for disaster but I suspect you know that already.

My advice is to set some targets that are fairly objective, i.e. proficiency in a certain area with a timeline. Have enough of them spread out between now and the end of the trial period so that it will become extremely clear whether this employee has what it takes to succeed in this position.

Make sure he understands WHO will be determining whether he is succeeding or not. He may ask his coworkers if they think he is doing well and of course they will say "Sure! You are great." That can be a problem.

You might even see him "campaign" among the other employees to keep him in this new job. So make it all very objective and clear. If he isn't cutting the mustard, dont mislead him.

And kudos for you to allow this employee the opportunity to try to move forward. You are taking a risk but I think we should always be trying to challenge our employees.
  • What does this employee do in the support department? Can any of his experience there help?
  • Good point, Ritannz. If this ee is training other support people, his previous experience in the trenches would be helpful.

As an HR person, my 4 years as a supervisor has been invaluable.
  • Thanks for your help everyone!