Pending Immigration Legislation

Just curious. Did anyone listen to today's SHRM webcast on pending immigration legislation? If not and you are a SHRM member, I urge you to listen to the pod-cast as soon as it is available. There is some really scary stuff buried in this mess.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks Joannie. I will definitely listen to it. I support immigration reform but I dont know enough about this legislation to know if this is the correct approach.
  • I listened in on the webcast and it was somewhat interesting. The bottom line is most of our representatives don't understand the true workplace and struggle with reality. I don't think there's a snowball's chance the current drafted bill will be approved. But something needs to be done.
    Is anyone currently using the Basic Pilot? If so do you find it of it value?

• We use the Basic Pilot system. So far all our employee's SSNs have matched the name in the database. It's easy to use and is comforting to know they're legit.
  • ALLSTEAKS: Yes, I have been using the "Basic Pilot Program" and I am 100% pleased with the process, the system, the checks and balances that are required to execute a good data verification of the information supplied by the new employee. There are claims of 15 % to 20% error rates, but my experience as shown 100% accurate for our needs and I have documentation attached to every I-9, which amounts to over 300 inquiries over the last 3 years for inspection or audit by anyone.

Pork also known as Richard
  • In a nutshell, can you tell me what they want to do? Sorry if I sound ignorant - haven't been keeping up as well as I should lately!
  • It would have to be a very large nut! The document is over 300 pages and it includes a guest worker piece, a amnesty that's not really amnesty piece, an expanded verification piece, a substantial increase in penalties piece, increased border security piece, and new implementation timelines, and the list goes on. What it doesn't address is the fraudulent and stolen identity problem many employers have.
    I've found the best summaries and briefs on the SHRM website. Some of them you should be able to access even if you're not a member ([url]www.shrm.org[/url]). Or you could probably google immigration reform and get more material than you could ever want!
    As I said before I don't think it has any chance of passing in its current form but something will be enacted soon to address the problem.

• Yes, the immigration reform package is large and can be daunting. We have added a lot of information about the legislation, and links to our audio conferences on the subject, on our immigration webpage. Check it out at: [url]www.hrhero.com/hl/immigration.shtml[/url]. We are updating the information frequently to keep you informed.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • Please forgive me for recommending the "other" site, and clearly HR Hero has placed some excellent info on this site. Thanks.
    Would you agree that it is premature to make judgments on the proposed legislation other than identifying weaknesses and potential potholes to our profession and industry as a whole? I just can't imagine it getting anywhere without a total rewrite.

• I do think that we'll be in for some heavy debate over this proposal and it may go the way of last year's attempt at reform. It looks like a lot of politicians are coming out of the woodwork with amendments. My guess (and this is just a stab in the dark) is that we'll see Congress push through some sort of reform quickly, or the issue will stagnate due to election politics and we won't see anything until after the election in 2008. If this bill is acted upon, employers can gear up for a quick effective date. We'll keep you posted on developments!

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
  • Like our health care system, some sides benefit from the problem never actually getting fixed.

This issue promises to make for some strange bedfellows as it cuts across political lines.

• RE: Nevada HR, NV

4. "RE: Pending Immigration Legislation"
    We use the Basic Pilot system. So far all our employee's SSNs have matched the name in the database. It's easy to use and is comforting to know they're legit.

10. "RE: Pending Immigration Legislation"
    ALLSTEAKS: Yes, I have been using the "Basic Pilot Program" and I am 100% pleased with the process, the system, the checks and balances that are required to execute a good data verification of the information supplied by the new employee. There are claims of 15 % to 20% error rates, but my experience as shown 100% accurate for our needs and I have documentation attached to every I-9, which amounts to over 300 inquiries over the last 3 years for inspection or audit by anyone.

Pork also known as Richard

THANKS, so based on your successes with Basic Pilot, the next logical step is to implement a previous employment verification piece, and that's what is still missing in the new proposed legislation. As a strong (well hopefully some of us are) HR Group, this should be the message to our legislators, give us a method of further verifying identities!

• I just received a brief article from BLR entitled "HR Organizations Find Faults in Immigration Bill". Known as the "HR Initiative" --Their 3 major concerns with the Basic Pilot is that: 1) it is inaccurate too often; 2)is incapable of detecting identity theft; and 3) the provision requiring employers to re-verify the identity and employment eligibility of all employees would be too burdensome for employers.

The HR Initiative includes SHRM, International Public Management Assoc for Human Resources, HR Policy Association, College and University Prof. Assoc for Human Resources and American Council on Internationl Personnel. Their website is [url]http://www.legal-workforce.org/[/url].

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-23-07 AT 01:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]PATTIE: 1)I have over 300 verifications accomplished and there has not been 1 inaccurate response.

2) If one speaks of inaccurate data, one must be able to understand a % of inaccurate information on which this statement is based! My experience is over 300 inquiries and not one inaccurate responses.
    3.)I have had several non-confirmed and several referals to government agencies for correction of an identified data. In each of these cases the US Citizen has gone to the SSA or DHS and have had the record corrected or the SSA came back with my typing error. For the US Citizen who came back with corrective information we paid them for their wasted time. Most of those were spelling of one's name as shown on the SSC or gender infomation corrected or a SSN misplaced number.

The foreign nationals simply have not returned with any corrected information and at the end of their waiting period, the case was closed and I-9 verification form has been attached to the I-9 form, the referral letter with specific information which was mis-matched, and a case closing document and a self termination inquiry.

Even these two are not in error, they are in fact 100% correct and the purpose of the program is improved, as a result of the exercise.

IRS/SSA/DHS and the employer is happy for we know that we are dealing with employee information that is confirmed and cross checked for good information. The employee is happy for now he/she knows that personal data pertaining to employment is correctly inplanted into the government and employer data systems.

PORK
  • Sorry for my ignorance but what is Basic Pilot and what do I need to do???

Thanks
  • Here is a summary of the Basic Pilot program (note that it has been re-named the Employment Eligibility Verification Program):

The Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau (USCIS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) are jointly conducting the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (EEV), formerly known as the Basic Pilot Program. EEV involves verification checks of the SSA and DHS databases, using an automated system to verify the employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
    There are four types of access methods for EEV. The EEV/Basic Pilot access method is a web-based program that provides a company with a way to electronically verify the employment authorization of all newly hired employees, regardless of citizenship.

You can find information about the Employment Verification Pilot programs (formerly Basic Pilot) on the Department of Human Services website at: [url]https://www.vis-dhs.com/EmployerRegistration/StartPage.aspx?JS=YES[/url].

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
  • ANNE:Thanks for your up-date on terminology; I have been so successful at using the program for its assigned purpose, that I have not been catching up on the news data. I spend all total about 5 minutes on the system and I strickly hit the buttons to get to the verification process and disregard all of the opportunities for current information.

To me, this program if 100% of the employers were on-board a very large number of illegal immigrants would be headed back to their country of orgin. If the employer was allowed to do a one time I-9 verification audit of the current work force for the purpose of cleaning up the data bases from which we operate, we could also identify illegal immigrants( is it 6 million,12 or 20 million?)! I am ready to redo all 215 employees and could get it done in a week!

Pork/Richard
  • I agree! Many employers, especially in labor intensive manufacturing environments, would be very surprised/shocked at how many "good hires" became ex-employees.

• If only it could also check for stolen identities. I see this as a big hole. If illegal works discover this is the only way to get a job, then that is what they will do. Who knows how much trouble and expense it might cause in the long run?

Of course, if we find someone who can come up with a program that will weed out those with fake documents and also stop them from using stolen identities, we might also ask them to come up with programs that solve world poverty and end all wars.

Here's hoping.

Nae
  • >
    >THANKS, so based on your successes with Basic
    >Pilot, the next logical step is to implement a
    >previous employment verification piece, and
    >that's what is still missing in the new proposed
    >legislation. As a strong (well hopefully some
    >of us are) HR Group, this should be the message
    >to our legislators, give us a method of further
    >verifying identities!

Amen!!