Diversity in the workplace

We are a non-profit organization who receives funding from Federal grants and private donations. We also have a faith base program. We want to be consciences of the diversity of our employees. Some of our employees do not celebrate certain religious holidays and we may use that holiday to promote a service.

How would we address our employees if we wanted to have a prayer before eating or celebrate Christmas by having a party? What would be good language to use in order to not offend the diversity of the group?

Comments

• 46 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are a for profit, faith-based organization. While we appreciate diversity as you do, I tell candidates in the interview process that we often say a pray before luncheons, etc. and if they are not comfortable with that, then this probably isn't the place for them. No one has to work here if they don't want to.
  • Well, an applicant would really feel welcomed with that kind of greeting! As HR professionals, we can lead the way in maintaining a diverse workforce. Although we are a small not-for-profit organization, we have other religions represented within our workforce. By respecting the beliefs and feelings of those who differ from the majority Christian employees, we manage to say a blessing (giving thanks) when we have company gatherings without making anyone feel either left out or ostracized.
  • It's the truth and better that they know upfront. Honestly, most people appreciate the fact we're a faith-based company and welcome the ability to pray at work
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-15-07 AT 08:42AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font color="6600cc"]
    >While we appreciate diversity as you do, I tell
    >candidates in the interview process that we
    >often say a pray before luncheons, etc. and if
    >they are not comfortable with that, then this
    >probably isn't the place for them. No one has
    >to work here if they don't want to.
    [/font]

Hey, and while you're at it, why not, "While we appreciate diversity as you do, I tell candidates in the interview process that we often share sexually explicit emails with each other, post pin-up calendars in the break room, etc. and if they are not comfortable with that, then this probably isn't the place for them. No one has to work here if they don't want to."

Maybe this should be the new standard response anytime someone complains of discrimination. "Hey, you don't have to work here if you don't want to."

Good luck with that!

• Ummm..there's a BIG difference between praying in the workplace and sexual harassment. You can't compare the 2.
  • Ummm...people can file claims of hostile work environment based on religion as well as sexual harassment. It's completely possible and reasonable to compare the two.

I personally am a very religious person, but I can see how it might make a non-religious person (or a person not of the majority religion in the workplace, or even just someone who likes to pray privately) uncomfortable if everyone was expected to participate in group prayer, and that person didn't want to participate. Or if that person constantly had to be exposed to others' group prayer. Like another person here mentioned, such people can feel ostracized, pressured, etc. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see how that could turn into a claim of hostile work environment based on religious affiliation. The activity doesn't have to be malicious in order to constitute a hostile work environment.
  • I'm calling a truce - we can debate this until Christmas and you will never get everyone to agree. Let's move on to another topic:)
  • I'm starting to get the sense that this isn't really a big debating forum...

• if
    >they are not comfortable with that, then this
    >probably isn't the place for them. No one has
    >to work here if they don't want to.

I think this is part of what inspired the "debate." Comes across as pretty put-offish, and my guess is you don't actually present it this way to applicants, rather you were paraphrasing. Giving you the benefit of the doubt...

We are not a faith-based organization, but one of our preschools is situated inside a church, and our curriculum at that one location has a small Christian component. (meaning same lesson plan and materials as all the other schools, but we also include religious themed books, Christian dolls, etc.)

In the job interview, we describe the curriculum and advise the applicant that reading bible stories, etc, is a requirement of the job. We ask them if they are comfortable with the Christian portion of the curriculum. If they are not, we stop the interview, and advise them that they are welcome to apply at one of our other locations if they wish.

If prayer is a logical part of your environment (you are faith based) then it makes sense to present the info at the interview and give the applicant a choice of leaving or continuing with the interview process. Just make sure that however you present it, you do it with every applicant.

• Oh I do. I've only been here a few months and wasn't used to this myself since I came from a typical corporate environment. My now boss told me about the discussion of faith in the organization and I was actually relieved. I figured any company who sells to churches couldn't be too cut throat. I was right - as it turns out, this is definitely not a hard place to work.
  • "What would be good language to use in order to not offend the diversity of the group?"

I have seen "a moment of silence for personeal reflection" used in place of prayer. And, of course, the old stand by "Holiday" party instead of Christmas. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with employees who can't work certain days for religous reasons?

• Unless it creates an undue hardhip on the employer, you give them those days off.

Religion and religious convictions already have protected status in the workplace. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII) and numerous state laws prohibit religious discrimination. Denying or limiting opportunities to qualified individuals without making reasonable efforts to accommodate religious beliefs or practices is currently a violation of Title VII. Title VII requires that an employer must “reasonably accommodate” an employee’s or prospective employee’s religious observances, practices, and beliefs unless such accommodation will impose an “undue hardship on the conduct of the employer’s business.”

(Name of Company/Organization) respects the religious beliefs and practices of all employees and will make, upon request, an accommodation for such observances when a reasonable accommodation is available that does not create an undue hardship on the company’s business.
  • Dutch2,
    Therein lies my problem. We are a small trucking company (70 trucks). Our policy requires drivers to be available for dispatch 7 days a week, but we have a rotating schedule that allows 1 weekend off per month. Drivers are dispatched according to the DOT 70 hours in 8 days then 34 hour break rule which does not always give the driver the same days off each week. I have started receiving applications from drivers who specify, for religous reasons, they can not work from sundown Friday through sundown Saturday. What kind of slippery slope will I be on if I do not hire an otherwise qualified driver based on the fact he/she would not be available for 7 day dispatch? I don't feel allowing a specific day off every week would be a reasonable accomodation in this instance as I would stand a very good chance of losing the majority of my drivers by guaranteeing a few every Saturday or Sunday off. Is that reason enough to claim undue hardship? Opinions, please.
  • I am not familiar with federal funding but I wonder if there are some stipulations that come with that which could dictate to you how you need to approach "diversity" within the workplace.

Aside from the legal answer, one thought would be to gather a small but diverse group of employees and pose this question to them. You might be suprised at what they come up with.
  • "I tell candidates in the interview process that we often share sexually explicit emails with each other, post pin-up calendars in the break room, etc."

So do we, but this isn't really a discussion about benefits.
  • Whats so offensive about praying before a meal?

About 30 times a day in this country, some news person on CNN or FOX will say "We will be keeping the victims of (insert tragedy) in our thoughts and prayers."

Prayers are often spoken before events. Its part of our social fabric. Its more of a custom than anything.

If its part of the culture of your organization and its done in a way that does not isolate or offend employees, what is the big deal?

I am a Christian but if I went to work for a Jewish employer and she told me up front that occassionally she would offer a prayer in Hebrew, I wouldnt care. I think its interesting to learn more about the faith observances of other people. Its not offensive.

If she demands I convert to Judiasm, that would be different.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-16-07 AT 09:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font color="0066CC"]>Whats so offensive about praying before a meal? [/font]

To me? Generally, nothing, depending on the type of prayer, I suppose.

[font color="0066CC"]>About 30 times a day in this country, some news
    >person on CNN or FOX will say "We will be
    >keeping the victims of (insert tragedy) in our
    >thoughts and prayers." [/font]

That's not a prayer, though. That's just a statement that we will pray. It's also not part of the workplace. There are lots of things acceptable on tv or in public that are not acceptable in the workplace.

[font color="0066CC"]>Prayers are often spoken before events. Its
    >part of our social fabric. Its more of a custom
    >than anything. [/font]

Again, this has nothing to do with whether it's appropriate in the workplace. I could just as easily say, "Ethnic jokes are often used in conversation. It's part of our social fabric. It's more of a custom than anything."

[font color="0066CC"]>If its part of the culture of your organization
    >and its done in a way that does not isolate or
    >offend employees, what is the big deal? [/font]

Then that wouldn't be a big deal. But you're assuming that all workplace prayer falls into this category. And who's to say whether an employee will/should feel isolated or offended? Also, my main issue was the "Nobody has to work here if they don't want to" attitude. That's totally not appropriate when it comes to concerns of religious discrimination, even if you think the concerns are overblown.

[font color="0066CC"]>I am a Christian but if I went to work for a
    >Jewish employer and she told me up front that
    >occassionally she would offer a prayer in
    >Hebrew, I wouldnt care. I think its interesting
    >to learn more about the faith observances of
    >other people. Its not offensive. [/font]

What about if they were offering Muslim prayers? Quoting your favorite passages from the Qur'an?
    Does your blanket "It's not offensive" statement still apply?

• I'd like to make a couple comments on this:

1) Bravo for wanting to be conscientious of diversity in the workplace.
    2) A friend of mine recently got a new job. Throughout the hiring process, not one mention of religion was made. Once he was hired, he found out that they pray in the morning and before meals, and whenever someone in the office has an issue they'd like prayed about. Religious banners and pictures line the hallways, and e-mails are punctuated with religious sayings. My friend, who is a religious individual, says he wishes they would have told him up front. He is not comfortable with the group prayer, and is made to feel left out and ostracized when he does not participate in prayer. Had the employer been up front with him, he would not have taken the job due to the environment.

I think it is permissible to tell applicants about your environment, but in a non-threatening way. For example, "At ABC Corp, we welcome diversity, and the majority of our employees regularly participate in group prayer before meals and meetings. New hires are not obligated to participate in these activites, and no adverse action will occur should you not participate. We also encourage new hires to submit suggestions as to how we can accomodate employees of all faiths, in an effort to celebrate our diversity."

That statement is non-threatening and allows you to steer clear of the whole religious discrimination angle. I think employers should be careful about these issues - you don't want to scare off a well qualified applicant because they have different religious beliefs and/or practices than your own...
  • "We are a for profit, faith-based organization. While we appreciate diversity as you do, I tell candidates in the interview process that we often say a pray before luncheons, etc. and if they are not comfortable with that, then this probably isn't the place for them. No one has to work here if they don't want to. "

I think this is a problem. So if you were interviewing someone who identified themself as an athiest, or an agnostic, or a Rastifani, would you not hire them?

Since you receive Fed funds, don't you have to agree to EEOC?

• I dont think the poster is saying that they wouldnt hire an atheist. What they have said is that their organizational culture often includes a prayer said before luncheons and applicants ought to understand that.

I still fail to see what is the big deal with that.

Would you object to a hiring manager who said "we like to cuss around here so you @R$%@# understand that ahead of time"??

Whats the difference?
  • Here's the deal - our product is sold to CHURCHES. Usually, churches participate in prayer and our company was even founded by a former minister who was looking to offer a product needed by churches. Our culture fits the customers we serve. I think we would be hypocrits if we didn't pray. I don't care what religion an applicant is or isn't. I'll hire the person if they are the best fit for the job and our culture. Isn't that how most companies make decisions?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-16-07 AT 09:14AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font color="0066CC"]>I still fail to see what is the big deal with
    >that. [/font]

The big deal (at least to me) was the "Nobody has to work here if they don't want to."

Also, I didn't see what the big deal was when a colleague brushed past me a couple years back and said "I JUST FELT YOUR BOOB!" but that doesn't mean I can't understand why it might be offensive to someone else.

[font color="0066CC"]>Would you object to a hiring manager who said
    >"we like to cuss around here so you @R$%@#
    >understand that ahead of time"??
    >
    >Whats the difference? [/font]

The difference is that there are laws prohibiting religious harassment in the workplace and there are not laws prohibiting cussing in the workplace. Hope that helps.

While I understand your contention that a mere prayer before meals is not religious harassment, there is really little way for an applicant to assess whether whatever religious activity he's informed of at the time of application will be conducted in a way he finds "harassing" or not, so I don't think it's as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.

• We are a private company and don't receive any federal funding. Like I said, I don't care what an applicant believes or doesn't believe as long as they are the best fit for the position and will support the company's mission and goals. Would you hire someone who didn't support your corporate culture? Honestly, I've never had anyone complain about our culture
  • There are definitely laws prohibiting cussing if the words used relate to race, gender, national origin, etc..

I think its fair to say that cussing often has a personal aspect that would include one of these protected areas.

Regardless, I just believe its OK to say "we have a culture that can include observances of certain religious days and prayer prior to meals and events".

Nothing in that to me rises to the level of harassment or is anti-diversity.

The boob comment is a good example. Playful joking is not by itself harassment but it could certainly get there if it became pervasive, unwelcome, etc..

I guess I see ancillary religious expression in the same light.
  • I still think that rather than saying, "we pray here and if you don't this probably isn't the place for you," you should rephrase to something like, "we pray here, and you're not obligated to join in but we welcome any suggestions you have to make this an activity that employees of all religions can participate in and not feel like the focus is on ONE religion."

By the way - when you say that "If you don't do "A", then maybe this isn't the place for you," you are walking a fine line towards making activity "A" a BFOQ. Just a thought.
  • This is my last post on this, but here is the exact statement I make to applicants: given the fact that we serve churches and were founded on ministry, we consider ourselves a faith-based organization and often have short prayer before luches and meetings. I also tell them that many employees discuss their faith in the workplace.

I doesn't matter what faith you are or aren't, but this is our culture and if you don't think you would be comfortable with that, you might not be happy in this environment. Does that satisfy everyone's PC requirements:)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-16-07 AT 01:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br]hr92175, I think you have a point. Because of your business, my opinion is that you have a right to faith-based culture.

During an interview you can describe your workplace and its culture, but I would leave out the "take it or leave it" comments. Do it like you are "selling" your company to the applicant and be damned the PC requirements. Rather than PC I like to think of it as PCC (polically correct cowardice).

And what do you mean, you're done posting on this topic? It's just getting started. Stick with it. I got your back.

• Well if you've got my back I guess I could keep debating:)