HR Insight-article

In HR Insight there is a "Crack the Corporate Code" article that talks about what a statement in an ad means. For example:
"Competitive Pay"--We remain competitive by paying less than our competitors.

The one that stuck out to me is:
Apply in person: If you're old, fat or ugly, you'll be told the position has been filled.

In my opinion, that is completely ridiculous--isn't it?? I would hope that as HR professionals we would not turn a qualified applicant away because s/he was old, fat, or ugly. If it is not ridiculous then the people who do this get the type of candidates they deserve. (again, in my humble opinion)

Any thoughts on this??

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have not read the article you are referring to nor have I seen one like it about HR but I assume it was just a tongue in cheek item, possibly written by a satirist that doesn’t even work in HR. It sounds similar to one’s you see about real-estate/house ads and are for humor only. Please try to take it as such because it doesn’t apply in my shop and “in my humble opinion” would not be tolerated by the HR professionals I have come to know in this forum and the HR community as a whole. We do have a sense of humor but also work very hard for our respective organizations and the employees in them.
  • I agree Toto and it was not meant as a criticism to anyone on here. I just know that HR professionals get critized for things that are actually untrue or not the norm at times. I also wanted to point it out to see what reaction you all had to it. I have to say I was a bit offended by it as a professional.
  • Since that was your first post to the forum and wasn't a question or reply, I thought you might not be an HR person and took the article at face value. Anyway, welcome to the forum. Is the HR Insight you are referring to the one published by M. Lee Smith? They had one called that but the last issue I've seen was June 2005. Perhaps they could provide "insight" into the reason for the article.
  • I didn't read the article either but from your description I took it as "tongue-in-cheek" humor. I believe that was how it was meant to be taken. Welcome to the Forum.
  • I agree with the others in that the article was probably meant to be satirical. I have not seen that article but I have seen similar ones that include examples like:

fast paced environment - translation: we are always in crisis mode

self-starter needed - translation: there will be no one to help or train you

Whether or not there is a code or not is hard to say. I always start my employment ads: "Live and Work at the Beach!" and that has been pretty successful. No code needed.
  • Good afternoon,
    This is Celeste Blackburn, managing editor of HR Insight. I wanted to chime in here and let you know that the article in question was meant to be funny.
    Recently, executive editor Ralph Gaillard and I have been working on improving the newsletter. One of the changes we've made is to remove the "HR Lite" and "What Bugs You" features. We both felt those "fluff" pieces were were taking valuable space that could be used to inform and educate our readers. August was the last issue to contain either.
    Personally, I feel much more comfortable finding articles that concentrate on tips, strategies, and policies that HR professionals can use than I do deciding what is funny and what isn't.
    Thank you for helping to confirm that our decision to move away from attempts at humor was the correct one. I welcome any other thoughts or insights you may have about the publication. Please feel free to post them here or to write me directly at [email]cblackburn@mleesmith.com[/email].
    Celeste Blackburn
  • Regardless of whether we are lawyers, doctors, sailors, HR professionals, etc., sometimes we all need to laugh at ourselves. It was a piece of "fluff" that made me curious and venture into this forum many moons ago.
  • I saw these quips in an email some time ago. I was not offended as I recognized it as someone's attempt at humor (though I didn't laugh). I am sorry to hear that you were offended. I guess we can't please everyone all the time. Personally, I like a little humor with the serious stuff. It lightens the monotony. Of course, you have to be able to identify it as such. x;-)

Good luck!

Nae
  • THUMB ON THE SCALE

Out of a silly article can come a grain of truth. When we interview, I often remind the staff that we may need to put our thumb on the hiring scale to balance the equation in some cases. By this, I mean that the natural human response to an attractive person is positive and likewise, negative to a homely or otherwise unattractive person. We need to factor this into our decisions by looking beyond appearance to talent skill and ability as predictors of success in the work place.
  • Excellent point WT.
    In regards to the other posts--I didn't get the humor part and I guess that was my downfall. I agree we need Humor in HR--sometimes it is way too serious (because it needs to be). That was my first post with this name, but I have been on this site for a long time. I had to change my name due to the fact that I couldn't get into my other name (HCCADC).