Four Ten Hour Days

Those of you who allow employees to work 4 ten hour days. When they take a PTO day, do you charge them 8 hours or 10 hours of PTO.

Thanks!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • 10, but they only get 8 hours for a holiday.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-06 AT 09:54AM (CST)[/font][br][br]ditto, 10, to bring them up to 40 per week.

What about holidays? We always have the argument that they should only get 8 hrs, like everyone else.

ok, jmcaa beat me to the post and answered my question!
  • Our production staff is working 9-10s right now (if schedule allows, they have every other Friday off). They still get vacation based on a 40 hour week (2 weeks = 80 hours) and holidays are paid at 8 hours. We allow them to choose if they prefer to use 10 or 8 hours of vacation (or sick - we still have them separate).

Please note that this applies only to non-exempt staff. For exempts (we have 3 supervisors working the same schedule), we only require them to use 8 hours of time.
  • Everyone gets a fixed number of PTO hours per year, based on longevity. Let's say certain individuals get 40 hours of PTO this year. Those employees can take 1, 8, 10 or all 40 hours as he/she sees fit. At the end of the year they all get the same, fair share of PTO benefits as determined by how long they've been with the company.

Holiday pay is a more complex issue. It's always a subject of discussion when we're running both 5X8 and 4X10 hour shifts at the same time. I initially thought all employees should get the same 8 hour holiday benefits. But then those that work a 10 hour shift, wind up with only a 38 hour week, thus losing 2 hours of pay. We now pay holiday pay based on the regular time you would have worked that day. Some employees get 8 hours of holiday pay, while others get 10 or in rare cases 12 if we're working 12 hour shifts.
  • 10 but 8 hours holiday pay
  • Usually 10. We "recalulate their time to 4 x 10, even for holiday. We look at days they work and don't work and end up with their floating holiday my be more or less than 10 hours depending upon their schedule. (ie. If they work Monday - Thurs. and you take the friday after Thanksgiving as holiday, they wouldn't be paid for it. However they would be paid for 10 hours on Memorial day and Labor day. You have to see how the holidays run each year and calculate for them what their time would be.

E Wart
  • 10 hours for vacation and sick time, 8 hours for holiday or bereavement.
  • ok, I'm reviving this thread due to recent discussions within my company. I have an employee who is normally scheduled off on Mondays, and works 4 10hr shifts T-Fr.
    Since she did not work Labor Day, they set aside a "floating holiday" for her to use. She thinks she should get 10hrs holiday pay when she uses that day. I say she only gets 8.
    My first thought was we should have just paid out the 8hrs holiday on Labor Day. (We do not figure holiday into weekly OT.)

We are supposed to pay only 8hrs holiday pay, but I have found out this department has been paying 10hrs for this group of employees. Some of you pay 8 and others 10.

What do you do if the holiday falls on a day they normally don't work anyway?

• They get 8 hours of something we call "holiday comp tine" -- kind of like a floating holiday that they can use later. Doesn't matter whether they work four tens, five eights, or whatever. But we do prorate the amount for parttimers.
  • When we used 10 hour days and a holiday fell on a scheduled day off, we let the ee take off the day before or day after the holiday. So, if the holiday fell on Monday and that was their scheduled day of rest, we gave them Tuesday off. But again, paid only 8 hours so that they did not get more paid time off than those who work a normal 8 hour shift.
  • This makes sense to me but I'm having a hard time picturing the timesheet. Let's assume the employee is non-exempt. If you report hours on a daily basis, in the above example you have a 10-hour day where only 8 hours holiday pay is applied. What happens to the other 2 hours? Is this charged to the department? Is the employee expected to come in for two hours, or make up the other two hours on other days?
  • We use the same approach, and they must take vacation for the extra two hours.