Online Applications

Our application is available for download from our website but I have wanted an "online application" that could be filled out and submitted electronically for some time.

I have some questions for any of you who have been down this road.

First off, any tips or advice? Is anyone outsourcing this?

Secondly, is your online application similar to your paper application or is it different? Shorter?

What are you doing for signatures?

Are you seeing any differences between your online applicants and traditional applicants?

Any other comments on the benefits or disadvantages of having online applications?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Paul,
    We did away with applications entirely. Don't use them anymore. We use the resume and an employee information sheet. When I put a job out on the internet via Job Service or Career Builder I ask for a resume. I go through the resume's pick out the applicants to interview. I have an interview sheet which I ask the same questions of each applicant being interviewed (specific for each job).

When we hire one of the applicants being interviewed they fill out an employee information sheet for our records.

Shirley
  • Paul:

I have only one caveat about having your application up on your website so that applicants can complete and submit it online-- that is the issue of who you must count as an "applicant" under OFCCP regs.

If that's not a concern to you, then it's a non-issue.

But my preference is to retain greater control over who is counted as an "applicant" in our system. For that reason, we do not have our application form up on our website. Only applicants who appear in our ofcs for a face interview fill out the Application for Employment Form.

• Do you accept resumes via email? Or do you only select from and interview those that show up at your facility?
  • We have in the past accepted resumes by e-mail. However, we require all applicants to fill out our application even if they submit a resume.
  • Paul, we have our application available in both forms on our website. HOWEVER, there is a glitch in the submit online one - it has never worked since we put it up about a month ago. (I have been pleading with our webmaster to get it off so I don't have to tell people that we're dolts and to please submit another way.)

Our online app is exactly the same except for some small formatting changes. Our quality standards require standartized forms with revision levels and dates.

We have a note on the site that if an applicant is called in for an interview, they will be required to sign their application at the interview.

I believe I have had only three people try to apply online since we started, and I have received perhaps five that were printed and sent in. The above comment about an AAP is right on, however, I do not get an overwhelming number of applicants ANYWAY, so it isn't a problem for me - I count them all. But that's just me.

One area of recruiting we are trying to leverage (to a degree) is people who grew up in this area, have left, and now wish to move back and raise their families, etc. Between our state DOL that has a GREAT joblink web site and having the apply online (or at least fill out and print) feature, we're trying to make it as easy for them as possible.
  • I, too, have been researching online employment applications as an option (in addition to paper applications). Since we are a financial institution we do credit checks as well as criminal background, references, insurance bonds, etc and, therefore, require a signed application which also contains the approvals for us to do the background checks. We do the credit background check first prior to contacting applicants since it narrows the pool by at least 60%. It was my intention to have an application form on our website that applicants could complete online, including checking boxes giving us approval to do the background checks and all the other legal acknowledgments. My problem is determining the legality of this? Do we have to go as far as using an electronic digital signature like VeriSign?

I really don't want to outsource. I'm interested in what direction you end up taking and if you find more information.

Good luck!

• I'm trying to get online applications as well, and crossing my fingers that my IT dept can come up with some solutions. If they do, I'll let you know!
  • As an update, we did add an online application to our website. So far, I have mixed feelings about it. A handwritten application offers a greater degree of information about an applicant than a computer printout. You can see handwriting, attention to detail, neatness, etc.

The online applications seemed more "sterile". It seemed harder to get a "sense" of the applicant.

To solve this problem, I have revised the online application and limit its use to just part-time and seasonal staff.

Full-time, year round staff must complete the original application.

This seems to be a good solution as it allows our younger part-time and seasonal workforce the convenience of an online application while still allowing me to have the full benefit of the handwritten application for longer term employees with higher responsibility levels.

There have been a few technical glitches so a few dry runs is a good idea before you go live.

Overall, the online app has been a very popular option. I would say that almost 40 percent of our part-time and seasonal applicants are using the online application now.

We also use a written reference form but I have chosen not to put that online as it would be impossible to verify who was completing the reference form.
  • Thank you for your response. I'm curious what you did about a signature? Does your application ask the applicant to acknowledgment or approve anything?
  • We have simply had them "type" their name as a signature.

I don't know whether it would be legally binding. We might change it if it was ever challenged or if it became an issue.

This has been a kind of "experiment" for us. One worry I had was getting a lot of foreign applications from Nigeria or Eastern Europe. That hasn't happened yet. If it becomes a problem, I might pull the plug.

Paul