HR signing documentation

Do you sign the documentation for employee disciplinary action statements and/or employee counseling forms/agreements?

If so, do you review and sign the document prior to the manager meeting with the employee or after the fact?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • TPACE: I will "when asked be the witness", otherwise, I provide counsel to the management "chain of authority" pre and post the execution of the event. Only when I am the appointed investigating officer will I become directly involved with the termination of an employee. I try and keep the review chain for appeals as clear as possible an as low as possible.

Bottom line for HR, my mental health, I try not to become the personnel police; I much prefer to be the good guy in the company with whom the employees trust and will come to when they have problems and issues.

PORK
  • I'm with Pork. I will review final writtens (prior to) or if asked by the manager, however, I do not sign. Mgt knows I have to give the OK to fire someone so they have learned to review with me up front. Makes my life a lot easier.

• Do not sign, but review prior.
  • tpace,

It depends on what action is being taken as to who signs disciplinary/counseling documents. For a simple warning or counseling letter, the div. director and the EE would sign.

If an EE is being placed on probation, the div. director, dept. VP, and the EE must sign, since the VP would be the authority for placing the EE on probation.

For termination, the div. director and the EE would sign the termination letter; and it would be accompanied by a Personnel Action signed by the CEO effecting termination of employment, since the CEO has sole authority to terminate an EE here.

While I sit in with the EE and the div. director in disciplinary/termination meetings, I'm happy to say that I have no authority to terminate an EE, and I do not sign disciplinary letters. The CEO has sole authority to terminate, and he is very good/consistent about sending the div. directors to work with me on determining appropriate action and drafting the necessary documents. But, Like Pork, I try to play the role of "good guy" and staff advocate around here, and I steadfastly refuse to be cast in the role of policeman/enforcer.

• As Pork, only as witness when participating and I sign after the EE....with my title following my signature in my handwriting....just in case.

Jane in Lex
  • A good deal depends on how your company is set up. For years, I did all the discipline because the managers did not want to do so and the CEO would not or could not confront his managers on the issue. Although I would love to be the "good guy", the black hat seems permanently fixed on my head now.

Anyway, if you are involved, you should document the issue. If not, coach the supervisors to properly document.

• 'bout the same here too... I am actually involved only when the Supervisor is concerned the counseling session may go down hill and then I do my best to act as a witness only. I do assist in writing most all of the counseling forms, especailly with our newer supervisors.