Prescription drugs Connecticut

Our handbook states"All employees who under a physicians care an prescription, use a controlled
substancem, shall carr the substance in the original container, with the prescriber's and pharmacist's id thereon. THE EMPLOYEE ALSO MUST PROVIDE A DOCTORS NOTE ON THE EFFECT OF SUCH MEDICATION REGARDING HIS/HER JOB PERFORMANCE.
Employees using a prescription durg, which may
impair mental or motor function, shall IMMEDIATELY inform the HR Director of such drug.

Someone said they thought this might be illegal in CT. because of HIPPA.

What do you think?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think it's a bit ridiculous requiring them to carry the pills in the original container. Some people use those little pill carriers that help them remember to take their medicine.

That aside, I think if you require notes for EVERY medication you may have some issues. HIPAA does not cover information related to employment. If I'm taking a drug that has nothing to do with my job, I don't think you have the right to know about. If I'm taking drugs that can impair motor function (such as narcotics) that is a different story.

Sounds like you have a control freak writing the policy. Tone it down a bit and I think you are OK.
  • Sheila:

Your current policy does seem WAY over-intrusive to me. My philosophy has always been that EEs' personal health matters are NONE of the ER's busineess, unless, of course, it's something that will directly impact their work (safety or disability issues, etc.).

I would suggest scrapping your current policy, and replacing it with one to the effect that:

1) non-prescription, intoxicating or impairing substances should of course be banned altogether.

2) EE's who are on PRESCRIPTION meds that are or might be intoxicating or impairing should discuss appropriate work restrictions with their Dr, and then, if applicable, discuss their need for restricted work with the HR dirctor or thier supervisor.

3) managers and supervisors should be vigilant as to EEs who may appear to be impaired on the job; and as circumstance make it necessary, inquire of an EE who seems to be working "under the influence" what's going on. If the EE can't provide a satisfactory explanation or Dr's note, then drug testing would be in order.

• We are a healthcare facility, hence, we REALLY care if our EE's are impaired. They are required to report any new medication that may have side-effects or cause them to be impaired. This info is reported to the Associate Health Coordinator with the Associate responsible to report said info to his/her manager.

If this process is not followed and the EE seems impaired then we do a fitness for duty with an MRO deciding the outcome.