Online recruiting

There was a post on this a while back, but I wonder if things have changed since then considering how fast technology changes.

Do many of you have any luck with e-recruiting? What avenues do you use - job boards like monster.com, state DOL job boards, online newspaper classifieds, etc? Do they work any better than print ads in general or perhaps they work better for a certain population of employees? Do you allocate a certain amount of your recruiting budget for online recruiting?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We only use online recruiting like monster.com and industry specific job boards. Our staff is 98% professional and e-recruiting works best and is a lot less expensive than print ads. We are a non-profit and have very low turnover; switching to e-recruiting has allowed us to reduce our recruiting budget significantly.
  • Ditto Judy's response. I do print, e-adverts and online recruiting and by far my best response comes from industry-specific job boards and, interestingly enough, the AJB site run by DOL. However, I have had MISERABLE luck with general boards like Monster, Jobdango, etc. All I've received from them is garbage.
  • I rely heavily on my state DOL, although it is a combination of having it online and having the local workforce development offices knowing what openings I have. The main newspaper I use for advertising runs it in print and online, so I get the dual benefit there, too. I know when I was getting ready to move to this area and get married, I was on the net daily looking for a job. For my current company, monster.com just meant a bunch of lookie-loos who had no idea where we were actually located.
  • Christy,

When we were looking for an associate web editor last year, we had ads in the paper, the paper's website, and our website. The online applicants tended to be lower quality, probably because it's so easy to apply online.

I was so frustrated by all the weak applicants that I was ready to climb a pile of resumes and leap to my death. xx( Then you called us out of the blue and said you wanted to come back to work. There was much merriment and rejoicing. :DD

So I guess our best recruiting technique was doing nothing. x:D

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • We've had great luck hooking up with Universities e-recruiting. I've been able to go on-line & see resumes from recent grads, soon-to-be grads & alums & we've made some great hires!

• I asked the recruiter and he says that on-line works best for admin and professional positions - using the the unemployment, own website and reference to site in other ways. Monster and the other general sites aren't very productive, but most of the hiring (bus drivers) is still newspaper recruiting.
  • We rely mostly on our local Workforce Development office and their online postings. Most of our openings are hourly manufacturing positions, and this seems to work best.

We use print ads for salaried positions, but rarely use the big job boards. My experience has not been good with them--hundreds of resumes, and few legitimate candidates.