Executive onboarding

I am trying to develop an internal executive onboarding program and was hoping I could get some help from my fellow Forum members (instead of the 1 week consultation I have been quoted several times over at $10k).
I would greatly appreciate any type of agenda or overview you have developed for the onboarding of your executives for 30, 60 or 90 days. My e-mail is: [email]feliciam@autogrp.com[/email]
Thanks.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I guess I'm getting ready to either show my age or my ignorance, but exactly what is "onboarding"?
    I'm taking it to mean how soon an exec can get benefits or pay raises or.......

Been there and done that several times but if you would be so kind as to clarify what you are asking, you will probably get a whole lot more response.

BTW - Welcome to the Forum.
  • Executive onboarding specifically refers to the process of assimilating new executives into company culture, setting expectations, etc. There are dozens of companies that offer their own branded version of the process, but from what I have researched, I have encapsulated it into the following elements in some manner or another:
    -Individual assessment is carried out to assure full knowledge of personal, managerial and communication style. Technical skills can also be assessed.
    -Managers and key peers are interviewed about expectations, success factors, "derailers" and corporate culture. This critical information is communicated to the new executive.
    -Coaching for the first 90 days. This coaching is calibrated to the company's competencies and cultural issues, and focuses on rapid assimilation, the building of successful relationships and clear identification of role expectations and critical performance objectives.
    -A final 360° assessment is conducted with relevant peers and subordinates to determine the progress and success of the new leader's assimilation.

My issue now is trying to develop how to do it...Without hiring a consultant!
    Thanks.
  • Welcome to the Forum! I am not trying to be smart, however, many of the things you mentioned in your post sound to me like expectations that should come from the executive's superior or whomever he/she gets their guidance from.

Gene

• Our CEO did this (at great expense) for himself, and it has not been pretty for those of us who have to deal with the fallout. As far as "onboarding" new execs (why don't they just say orientation?) I don't think you have to spend huge amounts just to keep up with the latest HR Consultant plan to separate you from your money. A little research and some planning, and you can do it yourself without the dog and pony show. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Linda
  • >Executive onboarding specifically refers to the process of assimilating new executives into
    >company culture, setting expectations, etc.
    >>-Individual assessment - expectations, success factors, "derailers" and >corporate culture. -

Coaching for the first 90 days.

>-A final 360° assessment is conducted
    >>
    >My issue now is trying to develop how to do
    >it...Without hiring a consultant!
    Also, not to sound smart, and maybe things are accomplished differently on the left coast, but when someone comes on board with us, that means they got hired.

In your explanation of onboarding, the "skills and management essentials" should have been assessed during the interview process. The culture and expectations should also have been explained and reinforced during an orientation period. Then training / coaching given and a follow-up evaluation and assessment given after a probationary period.

I really think you are probably already doing all of this but coming up with a fancy name is your problem.

Ok, you can send the $10 K to.......

• I know "onboarding" is the new HR technique for new employee orientation. But all this fou-fou (lasting up to 90 days, no less)is not going to get you any steam. You hired this person because you have a job you want them to do. Let 'em at it!

My AGENDA lasts one week, 2 to 4 hours a day staggered, with the intention of meeting the other members of the company in their departments. This way the new kid gets some technical background as well as team building.

The rest of the time they are starting to do the "stuff" they were hired for in the first place.

The values and culture of the company are brought up during the interview process. How do I know this person will fit in if this is not introduced early in the hiring process??

• My expectations for executives are different than for the rest of the EEs.

First of all, I do expect a level of technical compentence and professional education or equivalent experience. I think you hire these people for skills that are already developed, for the most part.

That leads me to believe the orientation is more about specific organizational functionality within your company, and about the nuts and bolts of the way certain things work. Who does what to whom and how to get the paperwork done.

There may indeed by areas where the newly hired exec needs development, but that comes out of your evaluation tools - and I would not do anything different for this EE than any other. So if you already do 360's, then by all means continue to do so, but if you are just doing these for a short time for the newly hired exec, I think that is overkill.

It is important that this new hire do well with your company, but I think that is up to the skill level he/she brings with them and how well they integrate with the corporate culture and how well they accomplish the tasks within the job description.

Maybe I am oversimplifying?
  • FMASON: Welcome to the forum; I was once with a very large retail company who attempted to accomplish this great social endeavor for all managers, as well as, senior executives. Myers-Briggs and assessments of jobs with the proper alignment of the individual into positions in which their being was even attempted. The large retail company is $350,000 spent and defunct. We apparantly, forgot about the company culture and its social history and attempted to make a MACY's out of a dollar store chain.

If you are "IBM" and that size corporate body you could be "right on" for the corporate psychology is important and "onboarding" might be a must. "World Com" was at one time LDDS and booming, it moved so fast that the culture could either "not keep up" or the "ego's took over". Onbording of the executives was mis-oriented and might be a great place to research for what to do right and what not to do at all. There were a lot of fine Executives and Senior managers, Mississippians all hurt badly in that company. Good Luck with your efforts.

I wish that I had a success story to relay, but I have none other than the military way: Here is your position, here are the resources, now go do what you have been trained and groomed to do for you previous years of service. If you are not successful in 90 days we will remove you and get someone else to handle the job. Some times it works and sometimes it fails for the individual but it always works for the organization, for it will move forward inspite of one's problems.

PORK
  • Well, you could do like we do and after they spend 2 hours with HR (me) getting an orientation they are left to flounder the best they can! Can you believe it??? Wish I could change it but that doesn't appear to be an option here unfortunately, mostly due to not having enough time, money and people to do it properly. But hey good luck with your program. It seems you are going in the right direction.
  • I agree with an assortment of the previous responses. I support a week of spending time in each department - rolling up your sleeves, getting dirty, understanding and respecting EVERY job in the company. Building mutual respect among all employees is vital, in my mind, and learning something about every position is a good way to do it. I also agree that the ee should have many of the qualities you are hoping to instill BEFORE you hire him/her. Digging into the job is the best way to learn the ropes as well as become familiar with the company culture. Save your $10,000 and just make sure his manager (even if it's the owner of the company) is an experienced coach and is there for positive support and guidance.