Promotions within Company

If a salaried employee is offered a promotion/transfer to another division by the corporate office, can the local plant manager and HR manager keep the employee from taking the position.

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-15-05 AT 09:57AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Ok, I'll bite. No.

I'll further qualify my answer by stating that I am making the assumption that someone with decision-making authority at the corporate office outranks both managers at the plant level.

Gene
  • Why would HR manager want to get involved?
  • Unless they outrank the decision-maker at the corporate office, no. However, they can always utilize their chain-of-command and plead their case. Why would the HR manager be involved with blocking a transfer?
  • It depends entirely on the culture of the company or corporation. To "keep the employee from taking the position" can, in some instances, mean "stall or stop the transfer due to perceived needs of the business unit where the employee currently works".
  • an internal transfer here requires that both areas work together to determine a reasonable date for work wrap-up and transfer. Generally, this goes smoothly and the area losing the ee is happy for the success; however, we do have areas that engage in urinary gymnastics and make it difficult.

I don't think it's right or fair...and it hurts both the ee and overall the company...but it can be done.

• Same here. Both the supervisor with the open position and the supervisor with the ee that is interested in the open position must work together and iron out the details of the transfer. The only time HR needs to get involved is if an increase in pay is involved and to ensure that the effective date of the transfer is at the start of a payperiod.'
    Good luck,
    Dutch2
  • Urinary gymnastics . . . that's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while! I might have to write that down in a secret place to refer back to. xclap
  • urinary gymnastics.. I love it. .
  • Sure, but if the employee wants to go and is not allowed, prepare for turnover. Keeping an employee from advancement is a short term solution to business needs with a built in bummer of a situation for the employee.
  • I am interested to hear the full story and what argument(s) can be made to block the transfer.

I agree that there is no reason for HR to get involved in the resolution of this, unless there are issues related to the HR function. You need to trust management to make decisions that are in the best interest of the company. If this is an example of personal opinion being at the root of the desire to block the transfer, you are in for a lot of trouble. If the corporate office wants this ee to have the promotion/transfer, there nust be a legitimate reason (unless they are making it based on a personal reason and then shame on them) and you need to respect that. Stay professional.

I would say that HR has a role to play after this situation is resolved. Obviously there is a breakdown of communication somewhere in this proess. You need to identify it and fix it. Make sure that there is a way for management to discuss these type of issues prior to the decision being made. Develop a process to address issues when they are first known and before information is communicated to other areas. That is the proper time to "air" these concerns, not when the decision is made and the offer is presented.
  • Our policy has features that could have an impact.

First, because of extensive training requirements for some of our positions, a transfer cannot even be initiated unless the EE has been in the current position for one year.

Second, the EE in question must be in good standing.

Third, the EE must be qualified for the position.

Fourth, in the instance where the transferring the EE may not be in the best interests of the business, the Exec Dir can prevent the transfer.

We have never had this happen, but if an EE is a key component of the success of a particular area, then a "deal" can be struck to get additional time to recruit and train a replacement. It is not very practical, for the some of the reasons expressed by other posters, but it is there.
  • Allen Funt is that you? That's not a real HR quesion is it? Come on, are we on some kind of HR version of Candid Camera?

...or,

Whatsamatter -- they owe ya money?

Or how about this. Yes, yes you can -- in fact you should. If I were you, on the chosen day I would lock arms with the plant manager and a few other well-intentioned busy-bodies and stand at the front gate of the plant and block the promoted employee's path when he/she tries to leave. Employees should always get permission from the HR manager before they accept promotions or transfers. In fact, employees should get permission from HR before they do anything -- including getting married or having a children. I thought everyone knew that. Gesh!!!
  • Aluminum boy, is that you?????????????
  • hijack, but how does Geno get away with not coming from any state.
  • Geno must be fictitious. There isn’t even a profile button.
  • Maybe he only paid for a six month subscription and therefore cannot have complete access.
  • To the question, I don't understand why HR would try to stop a promotion unless they don't feel they have the recruiting skills to fill the emptied position.

To transfer, our employees fill out a request in HR, we send it to their management who signs it accepting the fact that they are looking, then we send it to the recruiting manager. If accepted, the request is signed off on and a copy sent to the now previous manager. That manager has a maximum of two payroll periods (max four weeks) to release the employee. We (HR) try to facilitate as quickly as possible by finding candidates for the open position so the employee can go on their merry way.

If Aluminum Boy was previously in Maryland, we may have our guy.
  • Trust me boys, I'm for real, LOL.

Ole Geno doesn't know anything about them profile buttons, but now that you mentioned it, I feel left out. Apparently I do have an email button, does that count?

Ole Geno also don't know anything about the forum's policies on screen names and state designations. Again , maybe I should feel slighted. I'm from Maryland by the way -- beautiful state. Ocean-front property to the east, and picturesque mountains to the west -- and in between a whole lot of in-between.

And finally, sorry, ole Geno don't know anyone by the name of Aluminum boy.

I do know the question just brought out the frustrated stand-up comedian in me. No disrepect intended, just had a Seinfieldian moment. Can't be too serious in this business.

Geno

• Your post reminded me of a short-lived superhero on the forum named Aluminum Boy. He's gone now, God rest his soul.

BTW, I love Ocean City. I used to vacation there as a child. Thrasher's french fries... oh there's nothing better.

Your posts are great, keep 'em coming.
  • So, that's where the aluminum boy reference came from. You know the really amazing thing....I do work for an aluminum company. Maybe it's something in the air!
  • For anyone wondering about Geno, he's as real as any of us. And he subscribes to one of our HR Hero newsletters, which is the only way to be a Forum member.

His profile button and state (MD) don't show up because his Forum account is, technically speaking, messed up. His profile button and state disappeared when we fixed a different problem with his account, but we didn't realize it until now.

Geno: If you want your profile button and state to show up on your posts, e-mail me at [email]WebEditor@HRhero.com[/email] and ask me to nuke your Forum account. That'll probably allow you to re-register and the glitches might go away.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com