Help - need answer asap

The President of our company has been interviewing candidates for a high level position. After interviewing two outside candidates and one internal candidate, she has decided to hire the internal candidate, even though the internal candidate has less experience, education than the two outsiders. The internal candidate has been "acting interim" for 3 months and is very well liked by all of her staff. She will do an excellent job, but will need coaching.

Issue: The Pres. wants to call the two outside candidates but is unsure of what to tell them and how to break it to them. I told her to say we hired from within. She's afraid of reprisals.

Any suggestions on how she can frame her conversation so as to not offend the other candidates?

she needs to call them back today.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The truth is always a good place to start. I think you've given her good advice. I'd suggest saying that we've decided to promote from within rather than say 'hire', and if it's true, she could elaborate a little by saying that the internal candidate has had a chance to prove their ability during the interim period and now seems to be the best fit. The decision should always be the best fit for the position, and that's all she really has to say: "We've decided on someone else who we felt was the best fit for the position."
  • I would merely tell the other two candidates that the position has been filled and thank them for their time. I don't think they need any further explanation. The fact that it has been filled should suffice.
  • Your company's employment decisions are your own and do not have to be explained or justified to your candidates. I would just let them know a hiring decision had been made and thank them for their time.
  • I'm probably too late with a response to be of help, but I always send "reject" letters letting people know they are not a good fit for our company at this time.

1) It's not on the phone, doesn't give them a chance to ask questions.

2) It is general, doesn't really give a reason. The more you say, the better your chances are of saying the wrong thing.

Sometimes I will instead send a letter saying the position has been filled and let it go at that. (Sometimes we decide to not hire, so the first route is truthful)

I agree - never fib. I also don't tell applicants why they didn't get the job except that we felt the one we hired was better qualified.
  • How did someone get to be the president of a company if she is perplexed over the issue of how to deliver such a simple message? She should be able to handle this as easily as she decides between two vendors wanting to contract with her company. Surely she has no problem doing that. There is absolutely no difference. All the players in both scenarios are selling a product and the company is making a business decision.
  • Unless you have some form of illegal discrimination involved with rejecting the unseccessful candidates, I don't see what sort of reprisal to fear. Every job has more rejections that hires, and it is quite common to hire from within in the manner you described.

Whether or not you share the fact that an internal candidate was successful does not matter - you filled the position, move on.
  • Lukkieseven~

I happened to come across your message today and can see that you already received good advice. I was actually looking to see if there had been any recent discussion on hiring within. We are just now going through this process. My question is whether or not your internal employee is required to submit anything for consideration of the position. In other words, did you require an application or resume ? Would appreciate any info you could share. Thanks so much.

lkg4nfo
    Oregon

• We post position openings in each department concurrent with advertising locally. Employees who are interested in a posted position complete an internal application. The internal ap has an area for the employee to complete following "I feel that the following education, training, and/or experience qualifies me for consideration for the above position:" Then the employee has the opportunity to 'sell themselves' as minimumly qualified. I think asking an employee to complete a new application is an overkill. We already know most of that stuff.

• lkg4nfo: We have all internal candidates apply with a cover letter and resume, just as we ask outside candidates. The only item an internal candidates does not have to complete is an application form since they completed it when hired for their current position. (Sorry for the late response - been out for surgery)
  • Thank you for the feedback and hope you are recovering nicely from your surgery :o)
  • Like Sam, we also have current employees complete an internal application. This consists of three parts: Explain why you are qualified to perform the job applied for, List any courses/training you have completed or any previous job experience which is related to this position and, Explain why you are applying for this job. The last part elicits some interesting responses.

Anne in Ohio
  • "Explain why you are applying for this job". I can't imagine having that question posed to me in writing if I put my name up for an internal opportunity. It would be reasonable in an interview to have my goals explored and how I think I could contribute in the position sought, but such a question seems pointless unless one just wants to see what kind of creative writing skills and line of BS the applicant has. If that question remains on your form, it should be followed by the parenthetical (tell me what you think I want to hear).