New ER wants copy of their application from us?

I've never had this one before and am not quite sure how to handle it. I had a request from another employer for a copy of an applicant's application form they filled out when they applied for work here. They were not hired by us. The other employer sent us a release for any and all information signed by the applicant. However, it is our practice that applications are confidential and I am leary about sending it to the requester who is with a Public Defender's office. Any thoughts?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • your applications are company property. I would not send it.
  • I agree with dchr9203 - I would not send it. How would they even know she applied with your company? Seems strange to me...
  • Apparently in their interview w/her they asked her what companies she had applied for previously and she told them. They say they want to compare her statement on our application with what she placed on theirs to see if there are any conflicts. I've never heard tell of doing this. He has now called twice to see if we are sending it.
  • If the applicant requested a copy of the application in question, would you provide it to him/her?

Just curious. It may well be that the applicant comes back to you and requests a copy if the prospective employer tells him/her that he/she won't be considered further without it.

• How do you know that the caller is who he says he is? I wouldn't give it out unless they give you a court order.
  • they sent me her authorization to release info along w/their request on their letterhead. And no i'm not releasing it.
  • Indeed an odd scenario. I would not send it. Nor would I provide it to the applicant, or to any applicant. Company property. If the Public Defender's Office persists, tell them to jump in the lake.
  • It is an unusual request. Perhaps I am missing something, but as long as you have the release signed by the applicant, I don't see the harm.
  • Marc Well for one thing, the application contains information about other people - like their phone numbers and work location etc. for the people that were given as references, etc. And it also gives names of supervisors at other places of employment. I'm with the others on this one that it is company property.
  • njjel:

The employment application is company property and therefore, confidential information. The Employment Application should never be disseminated beyond the borders of those who need it to conduct interviews and maintain confidential employee/applicant files.
  • I agree with the others. It is company property. If it is needed for legal proceedings, it can be subpoenaed. Went through a similar situation when a Board Member was wanting to look through our applications to try and find somone to work for him in his own business. I was able to convince the powers that be that the application is confidential and the applicant has a right to expect us to treat it as such.
    Dutch2
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-23-04 AT 06:33AM (CST)[/font][br][br]This is the same as an applicant agreeing that you could release your notes of the interview or that you could release the background information you obtained on him or that you could release the list of answers he sent you in response to your emailed followup inquiries before you set up the interview. The point is that all of that is material the company collects for its use and much of it is provided in response to specific company questions and inquiries and none of it is the business of any third party, unless subpoenaed. And even then there should be a motion to quash.

A larger issue is that the public defender's office needs to be snatched up short on this behavior, lest they assume they can proceed in this fashion every time they want information.