HR Salary

Happy Monay!!!! I need to vent (yes,again). I have been at my current position for a little over 1 year and I'm becoming so aggreviated. When I was offered the position and it's salary I informed my boss that the position requires a lot of work from ground zero and I threw another number out there. He told me that after 90 days he would increase my salary. No, there isn't anything in writing, my boss is an exec., they didn't have anyone to do the offer letter.

Anyway, I have gotten several increases in the past year and I know he appreciates me, but I am still under paid by 6%. There are other ee that have received generous increases due to promotions, change in responsibilities, etc. But I don't care, I have supported everyone's wages by researching the industry (comp surveys), and everyone's salary is comprable to the market except mine. My boss has this information but still hasn't increased my salary even to its base. I'm not sure how and if I should approach him, we have a very good working relationship but he is going through a lot and I just don't think he is thinking about my compensation surveys/research. Also, I don't want to seem ungrateful for the other increases, it just isn't enough for what I do. I feel as if my 4 years in college were a waste.

Sorry for the long post. I just am not sure if I should even talk to him about it or how. Thanks.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I just will offer the suggestion that 6% is not much at all to be under the median salary for a job. If you're somewhere in the range, be grateful. If you're just 6% under the lowest end of the range and not brought into the range at your next due raise, I'd mention it. Be careful though about using the notion that you view everybody else's salary and you've worked on supporting all the others. That could bite you.
  • Don D: I would never bring up the fact that I work with other's salaries. I am 6% under the lowest end of the range.

I don't think I will be receving several raises this year, at this point, I think he will grant me one raise per year like everyone else. So now I have yet another year to look forward to of being uder paid.
  • I didn't mean to imply that you would, on purpose. But, it's rather easy for an HR Manager to have access to certain information, and if we base our appeal to our boss, in part, on the fact that we are the only one paid under-grade, the boss is going to object to that approach. I've seen it happen and just wanted to offer that as constructive criticism of a hasty request. I fully agree that you should type out exactly the HR job's comparison information you have and ask him to consider bringing you within the range. In fact I'd start the request at the top of the first quartile of the range, at minimum and let it work from there. I have seen this get results more than once because it's based entirely on facts.
  • Thanks for your great advice. I hope I will have an opportunity to do this with him, he is rarely in the office and when he is, it is difficult to speak to him about things of this nature b/c it is time consuming.

I'm hoping w/in a month or so. I will keep you posted. Once again, thank you.
  • Wow! A year on the job, several salary increases, 'I know he appreciates me', 'he is going through a lot', 'very good working relationship'.

What do you want from a boss, and what makes you think that he won't come through again? Sounds like you have a good position working for an appreciative supervisor. Can you be certain of that in a new position? There's more to life than money. Make your case, but don't damage the relationship over 6%. I know attorneys who are working for $30K!
  • Hunter: He has given me several increases b/c he knows that I am under paid, that still doesn't make me feel better. I make the salary of what one of our ee without a degree and does basic adm. tasks. He may not come through again b/c he doesn't want to, most of his decisions are impulsive and not always the best decisions. There are some people who are over paid b/c of his decisions and then there is me, the exact opposite. I do my job and I do it well but after a year of having to administer his bad decisions, including my pay, it becomes a little tiring. Our business relationship should not change since what I am asking for is more than fair.

Actually, I try not to look at what my base should be so I don't get upset, but the it is about 8% not 6%. That is a lot to get under paid by.

I agree there is more to life than money but I do have a living to make.
  • While I understand your frustration, bottom line is you accepted the position at the rate offered, period. If he's making an attempt to get you up there, and has worked with you on it, I'd go back again and say, "I really appreciate what you've done for me this past year, and was wondering when we could talk about the next step to bring my salary in line". I agree with Don, 6% under is not bad.

Good luck!

• I just have to that now, bring it up. Actually, it is under 8% of its lowest level.

I guess I'm just looking for different angles of approach the subject. Thanks.
  • One more suggestion. Since it's difficult to have time with the man, do it by memorandum. I suggest you lay it all out in a concise memo to him with a short one paragraph opener suggesting he consider bringing your salary in line with that of prevailing rate ranges in your labor market area. Then state your facts in bullet or chart form, as simple as possible.

In closing, assure him that you are happy in your current job and are not seeking other opportunities, only wanting him to consider the fact that your current salary is below the range for your area and thanking him for his consideration. Lay it on his desk in a prominent location and leave the rest to the forces of nature.

I have also known it to work when the ee mentions that "Although I am not seeking other opportunities, and have not initiated any contacts with other employers, I have received several contacts from headhunters checking my availability for HR management opportunities in the area", (of course if that is true).
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-28-04 AT 05:31AM (CST)[/font][br][br]"it just isn't enough for what I do. I feel as if my 4 years in college were a waste".

I have a co-worker who states this every single time something does not go her way. I have to say, it gets old- Your college degree is not a "magic pill". If a raise is what you are aiming for, stick to what you have accomplished, not how many diploma's hang on your wall.
    scorpio

• Until two weeks I was the lowest paid admin person except for the receptionist. We do not do evaluations, darn it! so I had to prepare my own proposal for an increase and take it to management myself. I wrote up my job description, submitted a year-long time record (not required, I'm salary) to show my punctuality, willingness to work OT, etc. I gave this to my supervisor and told him I deserved an increase, briefly reminding him of my loyalty to and time with the company. I am still paid less than all but the receptionist, but they listened, were reminded of all I do, and I now know exactly how to approach them next time!
    Elle, I understand your frustration! Still, we have to consider the whole picture. What benefits do you have? Do you have job security? Is there room for advancement and opportunities for training and education? Are you treated with respect? These things are priceless! Follow the advice above - a concise memorandum, the omission of your knowledge of others' pay rates compared to yours, and good luck.
    Linda Emser
  • Thanks LindaE for your advice. That is awesome that you got your increase!
  • Maybe I'm having a bad day, but a college degree (in what?) and one year in HR does not qualify an individual to have to be paid what your market research has discovered.

What was your background before HR? There are times when employees have to take an unbiased look at themselves and honestly evaluate the situation. There is more to measuring the value of a position than the title, i.e. Human Resources Manager.
  • I agree with your assessment that you're having a bad day. x:-)
  • My degree is in Management and my background is in HR, I have prior to this 3 years experience in HR and 1 year in my current position.

It is just difficult for me to see others w/o experience or degrees get promoted and receive a higher wage.

I do look at my compensation as a package deal, I'm HR. But, I guess I am realizing now that other things may be priority to me at this stage in my career versus an average pension plan.
  • "He told me that after 90 days he would increase my salary. No, there isn't anything in writing, my boss is an exec., they didn't have anyone to do the offer letter."

After reading through your responses to what the others have recommended, one constant that I keep seeing is your mention of you being in "HR", and the first rule of HR is to "Document! Document! Document!" and get everything in writing. I doubt your "exec" would have accepted an offer without having it in writing.

I understand that it is frustrating working very hard and thinking that you are not compensated fairly. Since this exec. is always busy, you need to pick the right moment to approach the subject - before the start of the day can work. Keep it short and to the point. Mention that you have an issue you would like to discuss and you need his help.

Your focus should be on what value you have brought to the company in the past year. Go in with examples of what you have done to justify the increase. Mention that for what you have accomplished, you would like your salary to reflect such. The more ammo you bring in with you(i.e. how you saved money, what processes you have set up, etc...) the more likely he will be to give you that increase. And of course let him know that you do appreciate what he has done for you so far, and knowing that he is fair, you would appreciate his reevaluating the situation.

Have a number in mind, and when he decides to give you that increase, GET IT IN WRITING!!!

Best of luck to you!