Completing performance evaluations

Good Morning/Afternoon to all: I would like to know how fellow HR people get their managers to complete EE evaluations on time. I am fairly new to this postion and am finding it difficult for managers to complete their EE evals in a timley manner. As it is, we give them 30 days after the EE's anniversary date to perform the eval. It is like pulling teeth! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Gismo, this is a universal problem, but I've had some success dealing with it. Having a good working relationship with, and having the respect of the supervisors goes a long way. I require the performance reviews to be done by the employee's anniversary date. I have the reviews in the supervisors' hands two weeks before the start of the month in which they are due with the due date clearly written on the front of the review. As an employee's anniversary date approaches let the supervisor(s) know that it's getting close and, boy, it would be nice not to have to calculate backpay if it's late. (I like to keep the tone goodnatured. It works for me.)

A tip to the wise here is this: Gain the reputation of one who responds quickly, if not immediately, to supervisors' needs. To me they are the most important people in a company, and I treat them as such. I make it known to them that I am here to support them and make their jobs easier and I try and do just that. I very seldom have late reviews come across my desk. On rare occassion it happens, but it is accommpanied with a very heartfelt apology and a promise that, "It won't happen again."

Good luck!!
  • Our evaluations are on a calendar-year basis, which makes it easier because they all must be completed at the same time. While they grumble a bit, they do like setting aside a block of time and completing them all at once rather than throughout the year.

But, ultimately, what makes them get it in on time is that my boss, the Prez, would NOT tolerate late reviews. x:D That attitude and expectation is reinforced down through the organization through the rest of the management team. I don't have to do anythingx:7

In my opinion, that's the only way to "force" managers to promptly complete performance reviews - being held accountable for prompt and timely reviews by their manager.
  • I concur with what Larry said that is what I do as well and I ALWAYS remember to tell them how much I appreciate it..I do send mine out 30 days in advance then when it is one week away I send a reminder...Other then that I do the same as Larry...
  • Gismo - At my last job, we had a policy with teeth that was not being enforced - evals were due within two weeks after the anniversary, if they were not in, the supervisor was given a five-day notice, if still not in, the supervisor was suspended.

When I came on board, nearly everybody was behind; one was REALLY behind. In conjunction with the executive director, we set a reasonable timeline to have the evaluations completed (to which said supervisor agreed) and we got it cleaned up.

Thus, my suggestions are:
    1) Draft a policy that states when evaluations are due (in their full, complete, and discussed state! Not filled out by supervisor and waiting on whatever) and what consequences will be handed out if they are not completed.

If you are benovelent, you could add an escape clause - i.e. next higher supervisor is on vacation and unavailable for consultation . . . however, supervisors need to plan ahead for such situations!

2) Have your upper management approve it and agree to get on board. Communicate the policy to supervisors and staff. Make sure they know you are serious and that they understand what is expected.

3) Be serious about it. If someone doesn't get it done, follow through with the consequences. It usually doesn't take more than once - if someone slips up, let them know it isn't the end of the world but it is policy. If it happens repeatedly, you have bigger fish to fry.
  • I don't agree with the notion that supervisors should have their reviews in to 'ME' on time because they like 'ME' and I respect them and they are doing it for 'ME' and if not, they should apologize to 'ME'. If that's the situation then the process has become the objective. The objective should not be sending a form across my desk. It should be a mindset of continually evaluating and reviewing employees for the purpose of improving performance and having a genuine exchange between supervisor and employee, which by the way includes completing a form and shooting it to personnel. I have said for 30 years, and believe it strongly today, that the only way you are going to have this process work well is to attach it to the compensation of the supervisor. A written objective of our supervisors is 'administers employee performance review process in a timely manner'. It's a stated goal and one that is rated as meets, exceeds, working toward objective or unsatisfactory. And it can and will affect the supervisor's review and, by extension, his pay increase. Liking me and me respecting them has nothing to do with it.
  • I agree with Don. Must be a stated objective in the supervisor's performance review and then if performance reviews aren't completed, that's an objective the supervisor didn't meet when discussing the supervisor's performance. And, it will affect the supervisor's pay increase.
  • We do the same, tie it in with the Supervisors own annual review. We do add on other step to include that they give honest and timely reviews. I personally talk with the Supervisor and their Superivsor if it appears that they are just going through the motions and not really working at the evaluation porcess. Granted this may be a judgement call to some extent but after working with the same bunch for a few years one can usually pick up on this fairly quick.
    Good luck,
    Dutch2
  • Bullseye, Don! It's a super's job to give feedback, and studies show that employees WANT more feedback. If they're not doing evaluations, I bet they're not giving other feedback, either.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Here, the reviews are distributed one month prior to the anniversary date. The department managers know that NO increases will be retroactive. If they are not done on time, the employee is the one that loses.

In the five years that I have been here, just one review was late. The HR Manager x:-8 wrote in the wrong date.
  • We have also made completing performance reviews in a timely manner part of the supervisor's job requirements. Additionally, none of our managers are reviewed or given an increase until their entire department has been reviewed.
  • No salary increase for the reviewed employee until the final signed review is submitted to HR(we are on calendar year review cycles.) The process must be 100% adhered to with no short-cuts. Believe me, the employees know exactly where the bottleneck is in this process, and sufficient pressure is generated to ensure about 90% completion on time (always a few slackers in the bunch.)

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Thank you all for responding and your advise. I'm got some good ideas to work with.