Diversity / Employee Network Groups, Affinity Groups

I work with a company in Seattle, Washington, that wants to introduce Employee Network Groups / Affinity groups.

Employee network groups are voluntary, employee-driven groups organized around a shared interest or focus such as race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, i.e., gay & lesbian, working women, Hispanic or African American, etc. Affinity groups are becoming a frequent element in diversity programs, particularly in larger corporations.

Have you worked with such groups, or do you know of anyone else who has? I’m interested in finding out what programs are out there now, and about what works and what doesn’t.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Employee network groups are voluntary,
    >employee-driven groups organized around a shared
    >interest or focus such as race, ethnicity,
    >gender or sexual orientation, i.e., gay &
    >lesbian, working women, Hispanic or African
    >American, etc. Affinity groups are becoming a
    >frequent element in diversity programs,
    >particularly in larger corporations.
    >
    Kristina,
    Not to be harsh and maybe these may have their place, but to me the concept reeks with everything we have been trying to avoid for the last several years.

SEGREGATION AND DISCRIMINATION

What's going to happen if you have a "group" of white males whose like interest is motorcycles and a minority female is not allowed to join their group? Or a "group" of females whose interest is in how many shoes they have and some red-blooded all American male can't join them?

This just smells like a whole lot of trouble getting ready to break loose and I would not want to be the one that has to take the complaints and investigate each one.

BTW, what is your role with this company?

• I don't know, Popeye. How would such "affinity groups" differ from groups such as, say, the Black Students' Union many of us saw in high school and college? Or the Young Republicans? Granted, such groups might pose more of a risk when "sponsored" by a private company, but if they're willing to assume the risk, why not?

And just because the group is based upon a shared affinity, it doesn't necessarily need to be exclusive - we had some white students in the BSU when I was in high school.
  • You hit the nail right on the head. The key is private company. If such would be sponsored by or agreed to by a private company it would be viewed in a much different light than by the public sector such as you refered to.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-18-04 AT 04:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Think of it this way. It may be alright for the average farmer or a group of farmers to breed a Hampshire with a Poland China and farrow a litter of piglets. However, it would not be acceptable for you to take the "Golden Juices" of a Duroc and implant in a Chester White or a Berkshire.

Sorry but I had just looked at another post by Pork and thought he had responded to this one so maybe only he or an ole' farm-person might be the only ones to understand this.
  • Lost you just after "Think of it this way..." Popeye. x;-)
  • You are making a good point. I think for most companies, groups are required to articulate and promote a business reason for the group's formation. They are probably interested in avoiding the type of situation you described.

As to my role, I'm the company HR generalist, and senior management is interesting in learning more about this.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-18-04 AT 05:40PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I agree totally with Popeye's initial reaction. Creating groups of 'specialness' only fosters 'exclusivity'. I always resented the 'black student union', the 'gay and lesbian club', the 'black miss America' contest, The 'Black Mayor's Organization', the on and on and on. It smacks of 'The White Knights', another well-known club of exclusivity. Why in the world would someone be about fostering the process of excluding others and secluding themselves into pigeonholed groups in 2004? Would you be up in arms over the 'Blue-Eyed Blondes Club' or 'The European Men's Society'? Human Beings do not have a need to hide and immerse themselves in their particular, exclusive demographics. There just ain't no need. Bad idea. This is indeed an odd one for a 'first post'. Perhaps you have some real life employment related issues to post.

"Affinity groups are becoming a frequent element in diversity programs, particularly in larger corporations."

I disagree with that statement and wonder where you got that notion. Perhaps from some 'special rights' magazine.

• You name it, we have the group. We call them ERGs - Employee Resource Groups. I belong to one and love it, I recently went to a workshop that was specific to women in a corporate environment. We also sponsor several charity events and it is great for networking. Lets face it, we all feel more comfortable around people that are more like us so why not?

Diversity does not mean that we all become homoginized. I think it means we should recognize and celebrate our differences, not pretend they don't exist.
  • True, nobody pretends we don't gather with those who look most like us and think most like us, on occasion; however, the workplace is not the venue to manage these social experiments. And it certainly has no place on the Human Resources plate.
  • I'm not going to debate whether it belongs to HR, I guess thats up to each company, but it works very well for us. They are managed individually, have a board, etc, but they fall under the company's HR department in terms of how HR manages diversity and worklife initiatives. Employees are encouraged to participate on the ERGs and there are large conferences once a year in different parts of the country where each group has an informational booth set up so folks can speak to memebers and join if they want.
  • Thanks for sharing these details. That's very helpful.
  • It's great to hear from someone who has experience with network groups. I'd like to hear how yours work. Can you tell me anything about how these groups work? Who can join, are meetings during work hours, do you have management members?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-18-04 AT 06:39PM (CST)[/font][br][br]First, I'm just a participant here, but since it's your first post, I wish you a warm welcome to the Forum! We are a diverse group of folks with lots of knowledge and even more opinions. x:-)

I have not worked with such groups directly nor do I know of any organizations that have. I did a quick google and found a lot of sites that offer more information on the topic. I do have an opinion though and it closely follows Popeye's. My opinion is: geez, what a mistake for an organization, large or small, to get involved with. On paper or in theory, they sound terrific, but in practice I can only imagine the nightmare they would become. Some pitfalls that come to mind:

If you organize these groups, who will determine what groups can meet? When I was in the military, all faiths had to be represented, except Satanists and a few others - will you too develop a list (and be prepared for challenges to the list)? Also, what happens when Johnny, who's half African American, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Native American wants to join the Native American Affinity Group, but he doesn't 'look' Native American enough to join? Will HR help determine proper ethnicity for entrance into the group if the other members object to his joining? Another question I have is how does creating these groups affect equal employment opportunities for all? It would seem to me that it would erode the strides employers are making in the work place with policies that say it doesn't matter what your religion, race, creed, national origin, etc. is and now replace that by saying "hey, Rodriquez you look (are) Hispanic, we have a special group at the company for you!" What if Rodriquez doesn't want to belong? What if someone's group is not represented - is that discrimination? What if one group is larger, better organized or, on the negative side, more obnoxious than another - how will it affect the folks, as a whole that belong to the group - positively, negatively? A lot of what-ifs it seems to me.

One last thought, there are so many other ways for employers to increase morale and teamwork (better pay, benefits, tuition assistance, timely and effective reviews, profit sharing, more time off for ee's to spend with families or outside interests) why spend valuable time diverting energies and resources to new programs that could be potentially litigious and have unproven track records? I feel bad now - you asked a question and I came across strident - I'm really sorry about that! Honestly, all of the what-if scenarios flooded my brain all at once! Good luck in your search! x:-)

• MWild and others,
    There is some recently litigation surrounding these ERG's or Affinity Groups, but of course right now I can't remember the case details. But it concerns a large employer that offers these kinds of groups and some kind of religious-affiliated group wants to be recognized as an official corporate ERG, but the employer did not want to do so. I believe the initial court ruling sided with the group, stating that to exclude them was against the premise of Title VII and not discriminating against someone based on their belonging to a specific religion.

Again, I don't remember details and I could be way off in how I described it above,x:-8 but I remember wondering as I read about the case whether the employer would just say "to heck with it" and eliminate all ERG's rather than be forced to recognize one they didn't want to recognize.

Please, xpray anyone else remember reading anything about this?

Oh, and for the record (if anyone caresx:-)), I agree with others who have a problem with establishing these groups to celebrate diversity by separating employees out based on their belonging to a specific protected class. Too close to speaking out of both sides of your mouth.:~~
    (sometimes I just go crazy with those emotion icons)
  • I too can only think of negative reasons to have those groups. What came to my mind is the "men's clubs" and the court case that females successfully challenged in court as being discriminitroy in nature just by their existence. A lot of company business was being done at these so called off-duty-purely-social-clubs! These so called interest groups are exclusionary, even if on paper anyone is allowed to join.
  • Right. I'm having seventeen employee group meetings today and tomorrow, into the night. The last topic on the agenda for each meeting is how we treat each other in our workplace with an emphasis on non-discrimination and not openly excluding co-workers or restricting others while on the property. After which I should announce that we will now adjourn to our separate areas of the building where we practice our exclusive rituals of sameness and exclusion. Hey, that'll work!

National Guard, can you imagine going to summer guard camp and setting up large tents, Italians in one, European men in another, Short women in another, those with physical handicaps in another, black women in another....and conducting your training sessions that way? And which tent could the homosexual join, assuming he decided to 'ask and tell'?

• >which tent could the homosexual join, assuming
    >he decided to 'ask and tell'?

If he asked and told, he'd be dismissed from the service, so you wouldn't need to worry about the tent assignment.

• Can you imagine setting up a group of white anglo-saxon Protestant men? Oy Vey!!!!
  • Yes, that would be the 'European Men' in the third tent on the left. There's a separate tent with an overhead sign that reads "Oregonians and All Others Not Otherwise Assigned". x:-) And one labelled "Officers and Other Body Parts".
  • Is there a "Conservative Democrat who believes in Employee Network Groups" tent for me? ;;)
  • There's one for conservative democrats, Rad. It's right over here near the cool "Oregonians Not Otherwise Assigned" tent. The Starbucks is brewing. Bring your Birkenstocks. x;-)
  • Yes, and while were in the "Warrent Officers who are divorced and like to talk about their ex's" tent the un-official agenda will be how we can help Wanda get promoted and how we can schedule training and more training to enhance her career. But not other deserving soldiers!
  • Allright! Love Starbucks, have Birkenstocks (they are fashionably black patent leather). I'll meet ya there Beag.
  • Actually, the signs reading 'Conservative Democrats' and 'Conservative Oregonians' are actually placed there as tricks by the Psych staff to entice those with split personalities and people who are otherwise delusional and can't accurately define themselves. I forgot to mention the sign reading "Short Females With Shoe Fetishes Meet Here At 2:00. No Others Allowed."
  • Is that 2:00 Eastern or Central? x;-)
  • >Actually, the signs reading 'Conservative
    >Democrats' and 'Conservative Oregonians' are
    >actually placed there as tricks by the Psych
    >staff to entice those with split personalities
    >and people who are otherwise delusional and
    >can't accurately define themselves.
    Is this the same group that put up signs for "Liberal Agnostic Republicans" in Mississippi?