Politics and hostile work environment?

I was emailed this question this morning:

"I wonder if in this "political season" a reminder about keeping political discussions out of the workplace might be a good idea? Everyone holds their political beliefs dear and not all of us agree on who the best presidential candidate is - so at least to me, it seems like a topic best avoided in the workplace. Derogatory comments about one political party/person or another could create what some would perceive as a hostile working environment. What do you think?"

My first reaction is that discussing such things on breaks and lunch hour are quite acceptable, just get the work done! Now that I am thinking about it, do these discussions create a hostile work environment?

Please weigh in and let me know your take on this.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't "ban" talking politics, any more than anyother subject, but our policy specifically excludes talking to other employees on behalf of any particular candidate or party. Agency property may not be used to distribute any political propaganda.

As for a hostile work environment...I would say that your policy regarding appropriate conduct should cover this as well...expressing an opinion is fine, but if it goes beyond that and a complaint is raised, you'll have to deal with it.

Maybe you could issue a reminder about your entire "acceptable" policy rather than just the political part?
  • I am always cautious about using the term "hostile work environment" and only use it to apply towards an illegal harassing/discrimination situation. What you describe that could happen is perhaps an uncomfortable or charged environment, but probably not illegal because to my knowledge, political party affiliation is not a protected class.

I also shy away from trying to ban activities "in case" something could happen (again, removing outright illegal situations from this comment) because you end up over-policy-sizing (as opposed to over politicalizing!).

If a derogatory comment occurs and is reported, deal with it using your respectful workplace policy/practice. It becomes too difficult to legislate and mandate and policy-ate while keeping your sanity! Treat people as mature adults and hold them to those behavior expectations.
  • If I comment on the physical attributes of a woman, that single comment could be construed as harassment creating a hostile environment. If I say I favor a particular candidate over another and even give some reasons why, that in itself would not create a hostile environment. The reactions that follow could rise to hostility, though.

Stopping political discussions thus eliminating the potential for hostilities is akin to transporting water in a sieve - near impossible.
  • I'm still reluctant to consider HWE as anything other than part of Title VII (sexual harassment), altho I know ADEA is now starting to use HWE language. Unless someone takes politicizing to the extreme,I see this as analogous to proselytizing for religious reasons. I don't see any employer getting involved with reducing the political derogatory comments that might be flying around-------unless it creates such disruption to the workplace.... First amendment issues-------- I have a hard time imagining that an HWE environment can arise from permitting political conversations in the workplace. The political energy that exists right now is no different from the other topics of social interest (e.g. Iraq war, nuclear proliferation, pro-life, religion, evolution, etc.......) How will you address those??? I can appreciate your rhetorical question. I can't commit the same energy to the potential issue as others might, so I'll see how excited the other readers get over this. .
  • Political conversations cannot be stopped. If, however, it degenerates to name calling, then you must deal with the individuals involved as per your company policy.
    As an aside, as I was beginning to write this, I remembered the SNL take off (with Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin) of point/counterpoint and got a case of giggles.
  • Perhaps employees can be instructed to keep polite conversation to safe topics such as the weather, as even discussion of favorite sports teams or NASCAR drivers can incite strong feelings. (Just kidding)
  • It is too bad we have to get some work out of these EEs because I think the ER should not only allow political discourse, I think they should encourage it. If you have followed a number of our threads recently, the political ferver is indeed high. We live in the greatest country and our ability to choose is a part of that foundation. I really get torqued when I see all the apathy surrounding our political system. You may not like the choices, but at least you have them and you have a say in them from start to finish.

That said, I don't want to disrupt our work environment, but I do believe that making an informed choice is the best way to vote. Discussion at work could surely lead to this - just do it during breaks, lunches, and before and after work.
  • AJ and ray are correct. Moreover, if you are a public employer, you could be sued (Civil Rights violation) for taking adverse action against an employee airing views about a candidate. There's no need to establish any kind of policy beyond what you probably already have. If I speak an opinion about a candidate and employee X smacks me in the nose, what do you think should be done? As an employer, I'd probably come down hard on employee X. (This is theory...in reality employee X would be scraped up off the sidewalk, but I digress).
  • Some thing else to worry about. Next its going to be the great chocolate or vanilla debate.

In our line of work, we should be putting our focus on what's happening now, rather than look for mission impossible.
  • Actually, that's easy. When I was growing up my mother would buy the big containers of ice cream that were half chocolate and half vanilla. She tried a container that also included strawberry, but nobody ate the strawberry.
  • Discussions about political views or candidates or parties has no association whatsoever with 'hostile environment'. You can get terribly hostile over my political views, or I can over yours, but 'hostile environment' is a legal term nestled in the context of Title VII and ADEA and it simply cannot be stretched to fit every little workplace discomfort or kneejerk.

The fervor of politically heated discussions may cause the same level of angst in an HR Manager as someone who proselytizes in the workplace; however, the two have no kinship otherwise. One could potentially border closely on religious discrimination, which is illegal. The other is just conversation, maybe even spiced-up and heated conversation.

Enjoy the debate, enter it or leave it, but be civil about it and let each person have and express their opinion, laugh together, wring your hands together and go your own way after or during the discussion. If we see it causing people to not be able to work together for the benefit of the company, maybe we need to talk to just those employees. Otherwise, treat it like Monday morning talk about Friday night's football game.

Oh, And Please Vote For.........never mind.
  • Monday morning talk about Friday night's football game

Guess what, pre-season is just around the bend.
  • To ritaanz: CHOCOLATE! Ooops, don't want to stir the pot or anything...