Releasing Payroll Information

Can you release payroll info, hours worked salary, etc. at an employees verbal request, to a mortgage company or do you need a signed release? I did not think this was confidential information, per se.

Thank You!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I never release this type of information without the ee's written approval.
  • We require signed consent from the employee.
  • I don't require a signed request, but I will not release anything unless I am advised that I will be contacted. If in a case that I have been contacted and not advised that I might be, I release info after I have spoken to the ee.
  • I've never known a mortgage company to request or accept this information verbally. It always comes in the form of a form that is to become part of the loan package paperwork. And, no, I wouldn't release anything in HR over the phone, to anybody.

Betsi: Why do you feel this sort of information is not confidential? Do you not think your own salary should be confidential?
  • Yes, it should be....I guess I am thinking more in terms of health info/status, disability, etc........thanks for the help!
  • I use a sheet for employee references that I fax to person requesting info on former ees that I only release position held, to and from dates worked. They first fill out portion stating who they are and reason for request.Fax it back to me. I then fill out the above responses and fax back to them. Alot of back and forth but I have their info and it covers me. I guess if other info was requested I could use this form and have the ee sign off on it but would never give info verbally where you could not verify who the person requesting info was. This way I have their phone and fax numbers.
  • I release information when there is a written approval from the employee. I think that it would be safer for the employer to have some type of release in writing from the employee than a verbal release.
  • BETZI: We consider the information to be private and confidential and treated as such. We do not release any of this information without the specific signature of the individual authorizing the document. Our state Child Support Division has previously, written in the signature block as "signature on file". Sorry, but that does not cut the authorization test for me. They now make sure when dealing with our employee issues that they have the signature of the employee on the form before the information is provided. Like wise, we do not give the information to the employee on the form and let them carry it back to the agency. We mail it or hand carry the information to their office. This is fone to prevent tampering with our information provided.

Hope this helps!

PORK
  • Thank you sll for your direction and guidance. As always, people on this forum replied with cutting edge knowledge in such a timely fashion. What a resource!
  • I was surprised at all these answers, and maybe I'm going to have to re-think our policy. We confirm this information in response to inquiries all the time: bank calls - "Can you verify employment of John Smith, and tell me when he started?" Yes, he's employed full time; started on 1/1/90. "Can you verify salary - He says he makes about $50K?" Yes, that's about right, or No, that's a little high.

Maybe it's because we're public sector, and most of our information is public. Heck, we even have ex-spouses call annually and confirm salaries just to make sure the employee is paying enough support. : )
  • I'm with Hunter. I do them over the phone all the time, but not salary info. Dates and position only. It is much quicker for me and I don't see any harm in releasing that info.
  • BLW / HUNTER:
    Can you 100% of the time be certain that the person calling is who they say they are? In this day and age, with privacy issues - even with just dates hired and positions held , it pays to CYA by getting employee written authorizations first. You can continue to give this info over the phone to complete strangers if you want - but remember, it is your behind that will be in the sling if something goes wrong.

Chari
    [email]calter@iopener.net[/email]
  • I don't know about BLW, but in my case, it is public record, and our state law specifically says that the person requesting the information DOES NOT have to even give me their name or a reason for requesting the information. I just have to comply.

There certainly are pieces of information that we wouldn't share - SS#, address, phone, etc. We are allowed to keep some things confidential. I am not concerned about having my behind in a sling.
  • I think that was my original thinking....that it was a matter of public record.....working in mental health in my full time job (I do consulting for a small private company on the side and that is where this issue arose) we are extremely mindful of HIPAA and confidentiality of medical info & personnel file info that is confidential but I guess I thought an hourly wage rate and hours worked would be info I could share without a release or authorization..........by the way, I did have the employee sign one anyway.....from a risk management perspective, I figured better safe than sorry!