Absenteeism...EE claims to have a medical appt (doubtful)

Our Production Supervisor has a few "problem children" who like to claim they have medical appts in order to get a day off. They use the medical claim because we would not deny time off for that. We do not offer sick days. The SV has some serious doubts about a few of these EEs. Can she request that they return to work with an appt card from their clinic or doctor as proof that they actually had an appt (no details of the appts would be asked for). I imagine we would have to make it a Co. wide policy and apply it to everyone then? Sheesh--not another policy to cover the bad apples, about 5% of the workforce. Thoughts?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• I imagine we would have to make it a Co. wide policy and apply it to everyone then? >
    >
    Unfortunately you answered your own question with your question.

• You can require drs. notes, but do it consistently.
  • Since you say production supervisor, I assume yours is a manufacturing environment with shifts. You can also require that your employees make their appointments either before or after their shift. You can also require that they give evidence of an appointment prior to the date of the appointment. And, yes, you can require that they present proof of having had the appointment. You may also want to rewrite your policy, like ours, so that even a medical appointment, not FMLA, counts as a point in the attendance policy. If they are going to abuse your system, you can at least make them jump through a few hoops. Perhaps they'll trip.
  • Agree with the others. This is something that you can add to your existing Attendance Policy, you don't have to create a separate policy. Also, like the others have said, you can require that they schedule their appts. outside of their normal work hours and if they fail to do that, you can deny the request.

One thing that I saw in your post was that it appears that employees are given an entire day off for a medical appt. It is rarely the case that a medical appt. takes all day. You also have the option of excusing the employee to go to the doctor/dentist/whatever and require that they return to work after, or come to work prior. All depends on how strict you want to get.

One thing we are able to do at my facility is "flextime". Our employees are allowed to flex their schedule for medical and/or dental appointments as long as they get their requisite 8 hours in on that day. We also have them bring proof of their appt. This way employees can make these appts., do not receive "points" in accordance with our attendance policy, and we still get the work out of them.
  • Without a doubt, I would require a doctor's statement. If anything, it can be used as a deterent to this type of abuse.
  • Thanks to all who responded. Sometimes the solutions to other's dilemma's seem obvious when I read them here, but throw it on MY desk and I'm uncertain!