Employee Conflict Resolution

Forgive me for the length of this post...

We recently (December) hired an employee - let's call her A - into a department that has had the same staff members for at least the past 5 years. The department is very friendly with each other and work well together. The newer employee is a good worker, and the department has begun to include her in their socializing, etc., though it has taken a while. One of the employees who has been in the department for quite a while - let's call her B - has recently confronted her manager stating that A "irks" her.

Apparently B can't stand A's voice, looks, and the thought of A makes her nauseous, even when she is at home thinking about A. Now I do realize how ridiculous this sounds, but it has become a larger issue because B doesn’t think she can “last another month” if she has to work with A. B has also taken every opportunity to tell all other employees that she “can’t stand” A. The other members of the department are affected because the are VERY aware of the issue with B not liking A.

The problem: A has no idea that B doesn’t care for (as far as I can tell).

I feel that we need to address the issue with B, and am looking for suggestions as to how to approach the subject. Keep in mind that her manager has asked if A said or did anything that caused B to be hurt. B’s response was that she didn’t know why A bothered her so much, and that she A had not done anything to her. B’s manager also addressed the issue of the necessity to work as a team in that department. The manager has also told B that employees don’t have to like each other, but that they have a responsibility to work with each other.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When B quits accept her resignation and look for a sane employee to replace her. Or if B's behaviors at some point create a hostile work environment discipline her ........terminate if appropriate.
    This is amazing, she is on the record saying that A did nothing, she just can't stand her. Makes me appriciate my problem employee's at least they have a reason not to like someone........at least in their mind.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • There are other twists to this situation:

B has been with the company for quite a while, and therefore has intimate knowledge of our clients and systems. The department just lost another employee due to poor performance, and one last august. The department is already working on many more projects than they initially were, and the ramp-up time is significant for a new person.

A will be returning to work next week after having taken 2.5 weeks off due to medical reasons. B is visibly angry that A is returning to work - I am not sure why B thought A wouldn't be coming back. I am concerned that B may walk out, which may cause a chain reaction with the others in the department. They all think they are being overworked as it is, so if another person leaves, I fear that the others will question whether they want to stay here, too.

Also, there is a slight possibility that A will not stay working for very long due to medical reasons, so if we lose both A & B, that leaves 3 people doing what was done by 6 previously. We are currently running an ad to fill one of the gaps, but are having a very difficult time finding an individual who is actually qualified for the position.

UGH!

• B has more issues than just a petty envy/jealousy of A (which let's face it, is generally what this kind of garbage stems from among the female employee population). It sounds like her behavior is fueled by her inability to cope with the stress of her position and her frustrations with her employer and management. I've dealt with this type of employee and situation before and found it most effective to boldly confront her about her attitudes and behaviors and her negative impact on the team. I even assumed she had the above mentioned issues and gave her an opportunity to "vent", which she did not, claiming she felt overworked but knew it was for a short time only. Neither could she give any specifics as to her feelings about her female coworker and was resistant to a mediated meeting with that coworker (which is typcial when there's no substance to the problem), so our employee was told exactly what we expected in regard to a turnaround to her attitude and behavior and what the consequences would be (discipline and termination)if she continued. She pulled her head out of her hiney and eventually the two became friends (if you can imagine!). So all that to say, address the issues directly, tell the employee what's expected, and if she leaves, good riddance. These kinds of employees are cancers and while its painful in the short-term, you're better off in the long-term.
  • Strongly agree with Baloonman. What is B doing obsessing about A even when at home? You've had no other issues with B to this point? If B can't get over this juvenile paranoia with A, and stop the gossip, she needs to be warned it could mean HER job.
  • The supervisor of A and B, let's call her C, should say privately to B, "Look, get over it and quickly. Your options are; Get over it, turn in your resignation or, well, those are your options." And if she appears to have these same negative feelings the middle of next week, give her the name of the man down at the UI office, I'll call him D.
  • You are currently searching, and while difficult find the TWO that you need......... either A is going to go (don't count on it) or B will be shown the door. Look to hire two so when one of the others is gone it will not hurt as much.
    While I feelr for you, I doubt that B leaving is going to cause a much of a ripple as you think. If she is this weird about this, then who knows what others have tolerated .....only because she is their friend. Don't sweat it.......every now and again some fresh faces are good.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I've heard of doin the drill by the numbers, but HR by the ABCs is new to me. But, I like it! I like it! If all esle fails, send them all to L! That should end it.
  • Life goes on and the work gets done, and will whether A or B or both get hit by a truck next week. Don't obsess over this. Nothing else to add - the others have said it.
  • Seems to me B is trying to staff the department. If she wins this battle she will surely try to do it again. Maybe when the new person you are trying to recruit comes in. It's time to get B under control. She needs to be told in clear terms she is not managing the department, nor is her hate for this employee justified. In fact it's down right creepy! As stated in a previous post, employees don't have to like each other but you are expected to work together.
  • Been there, done that! As others have advised, don't let B run the department. Believe me, if you let her win this one, she will come back again, and again. Short range you may be in a "fix" but long range you will be better off.

It is easier when both are involved in the "can't stand each other" game. In that case I called them in and told them to work it out. If they did not, I would select the one that had the most value to the company and terminate the other. It worked!!! They became (eventually) good friends.

Hang in there!!
  • Just went through this with a manager who was struggling with a similar issue. Two pieces of advice that seemed to work well that we passed along:

1) This is not my issue to solve but yours as I don't have a problem with either of you. If you are unable to do so, I can do something to fix it but will not guarantee that you will like my resolution.

To stop it from spreading through your group:

2) Don't go to someone who isn't part of the soluntion - otherwise you're wasting two people's time (at a minimum).
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-29-04 AT 07:15AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Very good advice, Beam! I like that!

(edit) By the way, I've met your brother, Jim.
  • What ever happened with these two? I am curious.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • All that worry - for nothing so far!
    The employee who was out for medical reasons has not yet come back to work. Their manager doesn't think it is appropriate, at this time, to speak to the one who had the problem in the first place.
    It's too bad that we can't take a more proactive approach to these problems...
  • Sounds a bit like conflict avoidance - why doesn't the manager feel it's appropriate? Even if this individual doesn't return to work, you will likely need to replace her thus potentially starting the circle of problems all over again.

May be worth in this quiet time finding out if the true issue is that the person who has been in the department for awhile is comfortable with the status quo and not likely to welcome anyone new into the fold.

People like this are what drive people to Jim Beam (no relation :DD) who would sure come in handy - or at a minimum a beer and brat while wearing a Packer shirt.