Expansion of vacation

We would like to add a level of vacation time for our employees. After 15 yr service they would be eligible for 4 weeks vacation. However, a couple of years ago we acquired another company and as an gesture of goodwill allowed their employees credit on the number of years they were with their company. So if they had say 6 years employment they would be eligible for 3 weeks vacation rather than 2 weeks (our policy for new employees working 1yr)My thought is that our new policy would be the employee needs to have worked with our company for 15 years to be eligible for the 4 weeks.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think the good will gesture was an excellent way to welcome those EEs, now you are thinking of undoing some of that goodwill by telling the EEs from the acquired company that their service is not quite as valuable. Is this a whole bunch of folks being effected?

I would suggest you continue honoring the service with the acquired company unless there is more to this story than you have described.
  • I have to agree...it seems that if you acquired another company and merged some ee's with the transition they became de facto ee's of your company...especially if they continue to perform the same duties...from the ee's perspective only the name on the door changed.

• We have a total of 35 employees and currently 4 would be eligible for the 4 weeks (including myself) Two more would be eligible if I included the other co EE's. In another 3 yr 3 more would be eligible. The real kicker is that we are going to acquire another co. in July and they will have 2 of their 4 EE's would also be eligible. Covering for folks while they are gone that much is a big concern.
  • I would think in order to work cohesively you would offer ALL ee's the same benefits. They are no longer ee's of other co's they are your ee's. Since you offered to keep their senoirity with your company they should be eligible for the new change.

It is understandable you may have coverage problems but if you state that only so many ee's can take vacations at the same time and plan them out well in advance that should alleviate some of those issues.

Just my opinion.
    Lisa
  • Our corporation has over 200 US locations and grows primarily through acquisition. When an acquisition occurs, those being acquired fall under the policies, benefits and priveleges of the division they are joining. But, I've seen it where those joining us brought along with them greater priveleges than the rest of us. Works both ways. But I think at minimum your policies should apply to those being acquired.
  • Consider also that the employees you would be short changing are the oldest, presumably most skillful, knowledgebale, loyal employees. They were all that to their former co's and I assume you want them to show their new company the same dedication. Think of it as adopting children into an existing family and see if you don't reach a different conclusion.
  • This is business - not family. However, I get the point and would agree this is the best way to go. Another option would be to allow the 4 weeks to only officers of the company, since they are exempt and not to other staff.
  • MARK H: As others have said stick with your promises to all who are on board and put it in writing, grandfathering everyone on board today with the benefits awarded.

Think about buying out the benefits of everyone involved and start a new procedure. Or buy out the benefits of new acquisitions with whom you will be bringing on-board.

When I was in the military we received 30 days a year and could store up to 90 days or loose the days in 30 day chunks, if in a war zone we could store up to 120 days or loose them annually in 30 day or more hunks. When I left the service I cashed in 90 days of vacation leave and went to work in retail and had no vacation for the first year and got two weeks in the 2nd year anniversary. I am 19 years out of the military service and 5 companies later I have finally achieved 2 weeks vacation each year or loose all if not used.

When I reached a level of power within my current company, we ran through a program of buying out the leave days and hours to be lost for everyone every year. It worked and everyone is on a level playing field based on the number of years of service with the company regardless of the which company one was in.

Pork
  • bump
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I'm not sure what bump means in next door MO, but I assume you mean to increase the vacation time. My President came by today and says the 4 weeks should be given to all OFFICERS with 15 years tenure (including those from the acquired co and those in the upcoming acquisition). They are the ones making the co work and put in all the extra time and should be rewarded. Regular staff put in their 40 hours and go home. Three week max after 5 yr is adequate.