State and Local Law Surveys

Does anyone use state & local law survey books to communicate employment laws to out of state units? If not, how do you communicate that information to multi-state facilities?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • MJ, what's a law survey? More information will help to get you an answer.

I see it is your first post, Welcome!
  • Hi - welcome fellow NY'r. I'm not sure what your asking. If you could answer the following questions it will help.

What's a law survey?
    Do you have mulitple locations and if so, what states?
    Do you have an employee handbook?
    How do you normally disseminate information to employees?
    What information are you trying to get out to them?

LFernandes

• Hello there. Actually, what we currently use is a book that is assembled by outside legal counsel. It is a summary of state and local/county employment law, broken out in tabs - Pre-Employment, Employment of Minors, Termination, Drug Screening, etc.

We do have units in other states, in fact quite a few. Some examples are: New York, Florida, Texas, Ohio, Massachusetts, Illinois, California, Missouri, West Virginia, Pennsylvania . . . .

There is an employee handbook that is distributed to our associates, but I am looking for something to distribute to our field unit HR staff or General Managers. Something they could reference.

We're trying to find something we could purchase on an annual basis that would have the most current employment law info.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-05-04 AT 03:34PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thank you.

A law survey is a book that summarizes state and local/county employment laws. There are separate books for each state.

The company for which I work does business in many states and it is becoming expensive to use outside counsel to prepare these books. I am hoping there is another resource out there.
  • I have a recommendation that may work for you. For years, at several companies, I've subscribed to a publication titled "What To Do About Personnel Problems In Mississippi". The material is excellent and reliable and is kept in nice indexed binders. There's a master binder with general employment law, indexed by every subject imaginable, on a national basis. you are issued periodic updates so that your book never is outdated. Then each section is followed by a state specific page or two if that state has regulations pertaining to that subject, regulation or law.

The service is published by BLR, Business & Legal Reports, Inc, 141 Mill Rock Road East, Old Saybrook, CT 06475-4212. Their number is 800-727-5257, [url]www.blr.com[/url].

I am almost certain that you could subscribe to the national information once and then add each state that you need. This puts at your fingertips every labor law existing in each of your states.