:-SConflict between 2 employees

I have 2 secretaries who absolutely can't stand each other but they share a closely confined workspace. One is a legal secretary in training and the other has much experience. Because of the heavy tension, other employees avoid their area at all costs. I've had a meeting with the two of them to air their differences after which they both agreed to call a truce. We are having a follow-up meeting tomorrow. From all indications, things are not any better. Both attorneys involved want to keep their secretary but something has to give. Logistically, it does not make sense to switch either of them with another secretary. If anyone has dealt with this type of situation before and has any good advice, please help me out.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maybe you need to let them both know you are considering letting them both go. They are both showing a failure to get along, and a lack of being part of the team. Bet that would shock them into shaping up.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Actually, I told them in the first meeting that they could figure out a way to get along or they would both be in jeopardy of losing their jobs. I don't think they believe us because there is such a shortage of good legal secretaries in this area.
  • If that is the case, and you don't think they believed you I might change the approach.
    Send them home from the meeting with two assignments. One each to develop a plan as to how they are going to work together without causing office tension. Second, as you are debating wether to retain them an outline of the status of everything they are currently working on so if transition is needed that it will go smoothly.
    If they are hourly I would offer to pay for 1 hour of time for the assignment.
    That will shock them and get them thinking. I would even make part of the first assignment answering the question: Why should the company keep both of you when you have been told to correct a situation and have failed to show any real progress in that assignment?
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • That's an idea definitely worth more than .02 cents. Thanks so much!!
  • Do others avoid the area because these two glare at each other or can be heard arguing or insulting each other? Or can other ee's just "feel the tension"? If the former is closer to correct than the latter, I would make it a part of a "performance plan" that they both engage in professional behavior or face disciplinary action.
  • It's just that people can sense the tension. Also, one of them loves to talk about it to anyone will listen.
  • The discussions with other EEs should immediately cease. This EE should be told to not throw fertilizer on the problem. You want it to diminish, not to grow.

I like Balloonman's advice. That assumes it is not possible to change your configuration, such as moving the attorneys and the secretaries around to minimize contact. Think of all the trouble that entails and then see if these two secretaries are that valuable to the organization. People do not have to like each other, but they have a duty to work together, and you can require that they not make others uncomfortable with their behavior.
  • Are the attorneys they each report to onboard with any corrective action? If not, you could tell one of them the next step is to move the office around so the two secretaries do not have to occupy the same space. Attorneys are weird with their sectrearies. It's like they're married to them.
  • First of all, the secretaries have to be told that are expected to behave as professionals. They don't have to like each other, they just have to do their job in a professional manner.
    In NY city, there is a free service that provides conflict resolution. I have twice referred ees to it and it has worked wonders. Maybe there is a similar service where you are.
  • I did have to deal with a similar situation when I was a law firm administrator several years ago. You say you don't feel that things are any better. Can you quantify just exactly how they're not better? Because if they're engaging in the same behaviors that they were prior to your clear the air meeting, they are not complying with the commitments they made to you. You will undoubtedly have to get the attorneys to back you, but my suggestion would be to tell them during the follow up meeting that unless they can come to some sort of accommodation with each other, that they may be facing disciplinary action up to and including termination.

In my case, one of the two secretaries involved was a senior partner's longtime secretary and therefore an "untouchable." I ended up moving them physically to different floors when we did an extensive remodel of our space.

Good luck!