Safety Meetings

I have recently been put in charge of organizing and preparing our company safety meetings. I do not know the first thing about safety issues. Could someone give me some help or give me a website where I could get some information. They are telling me we have to have safety meetings once a month and that there are certain things that have to be covered. More and more our safety program is becoming my responsibility and I'm afraid I'm at a loss at what to do.

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Safety from KS, chime in here, we could use your assistance.

First, I would check out OSHA's website [url]www.osha.org[/url] for some basic background information - and what you need to cover because if varies depending on whether you're in general industry or construction, health care, etc. I would also recommend checking out the JJ Keller series of software, which I use to prepare my trainings - they have Safety Plan Customizer, Safety Training Customizer and Safety Audit Customizer. Really good information, but the interface isn't really user friendly, so it takes some time to work around it. Good luck.
  • What type of company is it. I am in Healthcare and we have safety meetings as well as annual safety compliance training. Try [url]www.coastal.com[/url] or [url]www.gneil.com[/url]. Coastal is for the healthcare industry. G. Neil covers different industries.

I hope this helps.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-04-04 AT 11:37AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We are a manufacturing company. We do plastic injection molding.
  • For starters you might want to focus on MSDS and hazard communication training and update your plans.
  • I would recommend that you spend some time on the floor (whether its mfg, service, etc...wherever the work gets done) and actually learn about the environment. The OSHA site will be very helpful. But more importantly, don't be a typical HR weenie who organizes meetings and has no clue of what's happening in your money making processes. Do you know what's involved with your work processes? If you don't, your role in safety will be as a meeting organizer and secretary. Learn the processes and personally engage the people running those processes...i.e. get out of your office. Do the HR community a favor and learn the business and be a leader...not an HR weenie. You stated, "They are telling me..." Who is "They"...the man? people who know what's going on? people who know the processes? You may want to consider joining the "They" group.
  • Hey SteelBoy, you are exactly right. Have you considered drinking decaf, though?

For our safety meetings, we do a monthly safety inspection. We ask for volunteers and get office personnel, maintenance mechanics, engineers, lift truck operators, etc.. Different eyes see different things. We also instruct them that if the issue is important deal with it on the spot. We don't want them to come to the safety meeting and say last week we saw sparks shooting out of a machine and someone should look at it. We talk about the inspection and dole out responsibilies to fix things. Then we review our accidents and determine causes and follow-up actions. Then we let people talk about safety issues. We stress that we don't want to hear complaints without some solutions. They used to throw out problems to mgmt and runaway. Not anymore. The other issue you will have is participation. If you run it like it's a meeting that you have to do and can't wait for it to be over, it will go nowhere. Make it meaningful. Donuts or breakfast biscuits don't hurt either. Good luck.
  • While I don't know what type of organization you are in there are plenty of web sites out there with an overwhelming amount of information for safety topics, meetings, presentations, etc.

Try this link and it will take you to some resources for safety info. I know there are a few items for sale on this site and I want to make it clear I am not selling anything.
    [url]http://www.emeetingplace.com/programs/safety_files/safety_talks.htm[/url]

Safety is a personal choice and in any organization it has to come from the top down. If you don't already have a good safety culture in the workplace you have your work cut out for yourself. I hope your leadership team is behind the process and not just giving a safety program lip service. Remember, if you talk the talk you must walk the walk. Don't violate any safety rules that are in place and if there are no safety rules that can be on your first order of business as a safety team, if you form one.

We are a manufacturing environment and all of our safety rules were developed by first doing a hazard analysis on each position in the mix. Our hourly ee's developed the safety rules and that helps in the ee buy-in of the safety program.

If I may, we have worked for 413 days since our last OSHA recordable event and over 1.7 million manhours since our last loss time accident. Our workforce is proud of this accomplishment and we reward them for their safety efforts every 75 days.

Don't forget to check your state web site, the National Safety Council, American Society for Safety Engineers, OSHA, and, well, you probably get the picture, as stated earlier there are plenty of sites available for safety info. Hope this helps and good luck.

• WOW safety that is great! xclap Lots to be proud of. I haven't had a recordable injury since yesterday. x:-(
  • I was "thrust" into this roll as well, but was able to get some guidence from one of our sister plants. I have an excellent "guidebook" that was sent to me by another HRM covering "How to run a Safety Committee Meeting" Email me privately with contact info and I'll be happy to get it to you. We are a glass fabrication plant.

[email]tcolson@oldcastleglass.com[/email]

Tammy
  • I am the co-chair of our safety committee. We recently organized our committe last fall.

A good site to check out as well is BLR (business and legal reports) they have a lot of pamphlets and brochures that talk about safety and proper techniques around electricity, chemicals, PPE, lifting, CPR, etc.

If you don't know where to begin, you should consider taking an OSHA compliance seminar. Pagent Thomas or Natsem.com offers them all over the country.

My suggestion, form a committee, get ee's involved and delegate research and work so that ee's take a sence of ownership in their safety.
  • I am not sure if this helps.
    I contacted our workers comp group and had them send a safety inspector and did a thorough inspection. The service is free and they sent someone who specialized in our industry. She had a ton of suggestions as to how to go forward with safety meetings. Depending on your company you might meet some resistance to the amount of changes that will have to be done to be compeletly safety compliant. It's very expensive if you already have safety issues and sometimes management doesn't realize that.My former company looked at the report and tucked it into a drawer and promptly ignored it, this was AFTER one of their locations had just had an OSHA inspection.
    xflash
  • OSHA also used to do free inspections and I assume still does.
  • WHO IS YOUR COMPANIES' SAFETY MANAGER? I would meet with this person to discuss, my roll in his/her Safety Program. Many of the above postings have jumped to the conclusion that you are the new RISK & SAFETY MANAGER,I have not thus my bold question. I am the designated Safety Manager for our company and every Department Manager is the Chairman of their working Safety Meetings. Monthly, I give them two recommended Safety Topics for discussion as the minimum item discussed, all employees are required to participate and sign off on the minimum topics. The Chair person can discuss other items like the recent accident, or currently the newly posted OSHA-LOG 300A. They are allowed to have a team member make the monthly Safety Audit of the plant facility and report back to the meeting, what they have found still not fixed and what new needs to be fixed. Minutes are taken of the unit's Safety Meeting and filed in their Safety program folder. All members of the unit are trained to inspect the facility for safety issues and to get them reported for problem resolution.

Good Luck, I hope you have a company leadership which is pro-active Safety, otherwise, in a lot of cases it is a losing situation.

PORK
  • We do not have an actual Safety Manager. Our Plant Manager is in charge of the Safety Program but he doesn't do much. I have tried to sit down with him and discuss issues, but it pretty much goes no where.
    In reponse to a previous question, the "they" I am refering too is the Vice President, the Director of Operations and the Plant Manager.
  • Kennedy,
    Ditto what FHR said. We have a great program here in TX called OSHCON, through the TX W/C commission. It is free and a tremendous resource. There are 3 Gainesvilles in TX so I don't know what major city you are close to. This is the San Antonio contact info and if they aren't the closest office, they can refer you.

John A. (Al) Chadwick
    Texas Workers' Compensation Commission
    9514 Console Dr., Suite 200
    San Antonio, TX 78229-2043
    210-593-0070 x 704
    [email]john.chadwick@twcc.state.tx.us[/email]

Good Luck!
  • Why don't you ask you plant manager if he wants you to hold a useless meeting that wastes everyone's time or does he want the saftey committee to be a useful forum for promoting a safe and healthy workplace. Not only can you lower your insurance premiums, but you can improve productivity. When he chooses the latter tell him that you need his support and without out it the committee will be the former.
  • I chair our safety committee and share safety responsibilities with the Mfg. Services Mgr. There is a good free website, toolboxtopics.com - it is an OSHA site and has actual scripts for safety meetings on a wide variety of topics. I adapt some of these each year to give to our supervisors to use in brief monthly meetings with their people, but you could use them in your main safety committee too. We also do safety walk-throughs weekly with a committee member to find small problems before they get larger.

You could call in OSHA for a voluntary inspection but I would think long and hard before doing so.

The OSHA website will help you but some mandatory training areas for mfg. are Hazard Communication, Lock-Out/Tag Out, Confined Spaces, Emergency Response. Hazcom is the biggie though - every OSHA inspect checks for this.

Good luck - safety can be a two-headed monster but you can tame it.

• Been there, done that.. Started with a manaufacturing co. as HR w/Safety. Second day on the job they told me I had to respond to an OSHA citation they had received the prior month. I learned fast. Contact you workers comp. carrier, they can do in plant inspections and provide your loss reports so you have a starting point as to where most of your injuries are occurring. If your company is of any size, look into the EPA
    regs, noise levels and air quality. Personally,
    I would not invite OSHA in on a voluntary inspection. They are considerably more helpful now than in the past, but they still have a job to do and you are just getting your program in line.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-05-04 AT 11:58AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hi Kennedy -

Welcome to the World of Safety. Here are my assumptions based on your post: The safety program at your company is either new or poorly run (which you'll change) and that currently, there's not a lot of value placed on this program (especiallyif they would hand over the reins without giving you guidance to proceed). Also, I would say your company is small, hence the issues of safety are put in HR's lap as opposed to hiring an actual safety manager. Okay, been there, done that. Now turn them on their ears.

From my standpoint on safety you have to cover three broad categories: Administration, Evaluation & Leadership.

Under Administration, you have to get your paperwork/procedures together (paperwork/procedures is broad - forms for lock-out/tag-out, MSDS, Safety Committe minutes, hearing prevention, etc.). This means starting from scratch or reviewing materials that are already in existence in your company. Fortunately for you, you don't have to worry about additional state laws - OSHA (the federal standard) is king (or queen x;-)). So, I'm including the Texas Worker's Compensation Commission website: [url]http://twcc.state.tx.us/[/url] On this site, you will find helpful links to OSHA as well as a resource link that will help you put together your administrative policies/procedures & forms.

Next, Evaluate. This site also offers training times & free educational videos - what the heck - take the training sessions & watch the videos. FHR had excellent advice & it turns out, the TWCC will come out for free to inspect - have them come out & take notes. Once they come out and your behind the scenes training is over - then go out onto the floor for the purpose of safety (I'm sure you go out more than that, but this is specific to safety). Write up the issues you see, talk with the ee's & find out what their concerns are - evaluate what the issues are and write them down. Which will lead you to the last category, Leadership.

It's up to you to determine what type of Leadership you will display in this area. There's many methods, but for me, I would take the position that safety matters, people matter & safe people = greater profits to the company in the form of higher morale, lower industrial insurance premium costs, lower turnover, less time away from work due to injuries, etc. By addressing safety from this standpoint to the management at your company - you stand a better chance of getting their support - it's dollars and cents. Through this type of Leadership - you will get results which equals compliance. Compliance is very important - ultimately it's the most important thing - but you can't get it without Leadership. And to the last word on Leadership. You have to get management on your side about safety & it needs to be upper management. In this job you will face managers/supervisors that balk at anything new getting introduced & you will need to have upper management in your back pocket to over rule their objections.

Long email - many other issues - I wish you well & hope that you take this job on with vigorous intensity!

• What better way to demonstrate your commitment to safety and gain leverage in leading the safety intiatives than to hit the floor and actually work some of the jobs.

First hand knowledge counts for alot.

HR folk typically hate to do this, but leadership requires action...at many levels.

An HR weenie would never hit the floor and put his / her hands on the process. HR weenies are thrilled to administer.

Your organization will LOVE this. If you do decide to do this, make sure you don't get hurt in the process.

• I would definitely think long and hard before going to OSHA for a free inspection. As was said before they still have a job to do. We ended up negotiating our fines down to $1300.00. When I had the safety inspection they pointed out violations that would have hit us around six figures. Workers Comp does not fine busineses. OSHA does
  • Oo, good point - please amend my response to say go to your worker comp. carrier for the inspection. Thanks FHR!
  • I think it was I who first suggested the OSHA inspection. It has been many years, but I thought I recalled that if you called them in they could not fine you unless it was something like MAJOR (if at all). We were a "sheltered workshop" who employed people both with and without disabilities. We did it every 3 years in preparation for CARF accreditation. I know we never had a fine and CARF loved it. Also, very educational, but by all means, the less expensive risky the better.
  • Through the years I have often heard OSHA talk about their consulting and risk management services and how the consulting side never talks to the enforcement side. Bullpucky! I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, too!

If your workers' comp insurer offers risk management consultation, go there first. As another poster said, they don't issue fines for violations.

• I echo the bullpucky statement from Parabeagle - having gone through it myself with L&I in Washington State - it's no free ride - if there are problems - they'll write you up - even if you invite them - & you'll have to comply. Getting a leg up on the safety issues from the worker comp. carrier is much better.