Conflict Resolution

I feel like I'm a principal in a high school......
There are issues surrounding a group of employees who are just not getting along even though they have to work together. According to their supervisor, some have been very upset about rumors or statements made to them and have even left the work place in tears. I was just recently made aware of these issues and the supervisor is asking for help in resolving. Anyway, I need to contact the individuals involved.
I am asking you wonderful HR beings to share some proven techniques on how to deal with these types of situations.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you have an EAP program? They are usually very helpful in these types of situations.

We even took a short seminar on conflict and confrontation.

Basically to sum it up, you will need to get this group to discuss what is really causing the underlying tension and how they feel it should be resolved. Maybe you can interview each team member seperately and get his/her opinions on what the problems are and how they should be fixed. Analyze the information. Look for reoccuring statements/problems.

I would then have a group discussion and review what is concerning the team and ways they have suggested it should be fixed. Some people may disagree with that b/c it does cause conflict, but if you are comfortable and confident at managing conflict, this will probably be your quickest way to a resolution.

Or, if you have an EAP, have the ee's in the group contact them for workplace counseling.

How do you think it should be handled?
  • It would be helpful to know who the perpetrators are. Not specifical who they are, but is this peer to peer, supervisor to subordinate, one department against the other, male to female? Your answer might mean the difference in recommending a staff meeting or an EAP presentation or reassignment or demotion of a supervisor, or sexual harassment. Tears?
  • Conflict resolution skills are helpful, but sometimes it is just a bunch of petty squabbling. Some people don't like each other and that is just a fact. You do not have to require that they like each other, but you can require that they work together well. If you find one or more that are deliberately polluting the work environment, it is effecting the company and you can give those people the message that this will not be tolerated. Discipline, up to an including termination may be the result. Their supervisor(s) should let them know in no uncertain terms, to knock it off!

Any incidents of unprofessional behavior will be handled expeditiosly. Tell them to pretend they are mature adults while they are in your place of business, but of course, do not be condescending about it, but do be clear about your expectations.
  • I have this same situation happening here right now. I started the progressive discipline process with one of them and she promply went out on FMLA with a stress/depression case. Depression is an ADA classification so I am concerned about that when she returns. She is scheduled to return in the near future.

I have scheduled a fasilitaor to be here on her first day back to work with the group. I also plan to tell all of them what MARC just said

"this will not be tolerated. Discipline, up to an including termination may be the result. Their supervisor(s) should let them know in no uncertain terms, to knock it off!

Any incidents of unprofessional behavior will be handled expeditiosly"

They are adults in a professional workplace setting and expected to work together appropriately. Acting otherwise is NOT an acceptable here.
  • As above, if you have an EAP by all means bring them in for "group." They will help pinpoint just who your "leaders" are (they're usually the ones NOT crying). Then you can proceed with Marc's suggestion. These are adults - they really are - and HR is not a babysitting service. Why can't we all just get along?
  • Unfortunately,we don't have an EAP plan.
    And since the dept. supervisor doesn't feel comfortable handling it, it falls on HR (of course........).
    My plan is to call in each employee involved (they are all peers of eachother) and speak to them individually - I don't even know what the specific problem is - I guess I'll find out.
    If they agree, I can call them in together and attempt to mediate.
    I didn't realize I had to have a degree in Psychology for this job?????
    Thanks for all of the advice.
  • Just a by the way, the supervisor should not be allowed to skate on this one. They either take all the responsibility for a supervisors job or need to be developed to do so. If you don't want to update the handbook, do you get to push it off on another department? Hold their feet to the fire, it is their lack of addressing the issues to start with that allowed it to get out of hand. Now if there are additional problems, it will be your fault, and you will own this until it is solved.
  • I suggest shake therapy or STOP IT therapy. Both were developed by my sister.

Instructions for shake therapy:
    1. grasp the employee firmly by the shoulders.
    2. shake.
    3. repeat.

Instructions for STOP IT therapy:
    1. invite employee in to explain the problematic situation in their own words in under 60 seconds (time them).
    2. when the 60 seconds are up, yell "STOP IT!"
    3. if the employee speaks after you have yelled "STOP IT!", repeat step 2.

x}> Cinderella
  • That little devil icon pretty well sums this one up. Very funny, but I think I may need to use this one.
  • We have a variation of Shake Therapy called Slap Therapy. The idea's the same, but it might provide more satisfaction for the therapist.
  • Conflict resolution - I know a lot about this topic - in fact I just ended a conversation with a fellow manager in which he had conflicts with me & vice versa. Here's what works best for me. Don't have individual meetings - they go on for hours & you'll have to do the next step anyway. Pull the group together and let them know that you've been called in because it's been brought to your attention that there are morale/conflict issues within the group. Let them know that you are there to mediate, but this meeting is about clearing the air and looking for a workable solution. You can open it up to input, let each person have their say & don't let others interupt others. Let them know they'll have an opportunity to voice a concern/issue. Once the air gets clearer - introduce to them the idea of a work agreement. A work agreement doesn't supercede policy, vision or statement of purpose - it's merely an agreement between the conflicting folks on how they will talk and interact with each other. They will be held accountable to the agreement - so all should agree. The agreement should take the form of:

We agree to put history to rest - a clean slate.
    We agree to raise and resolve issues with each other quickly.
    We agree to seek to understand the other person's position first.
    We agree to concentrate on our work area's first, before offering opinions on others.
    We agree that constructive criticism is better than unwarranted opinions.
    We agree to be positive & approachable.
    We agree to acknowledge results.

You get the picture - tailor this agreement to their issues - as the mediator, make sure the things you hear also get included in the statement. With one group recently I heard a lot of talk about things that happened waaayy back in history & it was brought up as if it happened yesterday - hence the We agree to raise and resolve issues quickly. Last step - hold them accountable for the results - each time there's a complaint - ask, what does the work agreement say - continually train them to look to the work agreement. Final word - work agreements change - as a team, we've had one in place for two years - we needed to delete some items & will add others. Good luck!
  • Mwild, nice touch.

I have shamelessly copied this to use. It sounds like it came straight from a consultant lady we used when our management team was flying apart like an out of balance centrifuge machine.

Thanks for sharing.
  • No problem - the older I get, the more I realize that there's very little original thinking around - myself included. For a more in depth conflict resolution session - especially in a management scenario - we always start with everyone writing on a piece of paper (three columns) what my team does to help me succeed in my job, what my team does that hinders my abilities to do my job & what I need from my team to do a better job. Mediator captures information that's said & then a working agreement is set up.

Thanks for the kind words Marc.
  • Would echo Marc's praise. I'm going to use this at our site also.

We've also found that there are some people who flat out do not want to let go of the past and give someone a fresh start. In those scenario's we refer back to the issue at hand and ask them to insert a good friend of theirs name and would they react the same.

Also, by rating them on their adaptability, flexibility and positive behaviors it gives the opportunity to bring this up during meetings or reviews if they aren't able to understand that bringing up events that happened years ago is not going to fly and we won't listen to old history.