Interoffice Romance Deverted?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-16-03 AT 10:52AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanx to everyone for their input. My course of action was confirmed, appreciate your advise. I believe the inner child of both parties has gone to play in a different sandbox.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why don't you clarify what your role is in this situation - HR manager, supervisor, co-worker, etc., and I am sure there are some savvy forumites out there who can give you some good advice as to what you should do.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • I would but I've been put on probation.
  • Don, I'm sure you have something appropriate to share.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • Your company is in a bit of a tight spot!! Although it's not an unusual one. Whenever you have people working together closely, the potential for it to become awkward is close at hand.

In this case, would it be possible to adjust some job duties so that the two have little interaction with one another? It seems as though each is a valued employee and the quality of work is being reduced due to "perceived" problems.

Neither seems to have broken any company policies (yet) and as such no disciple can be handed out. You will have to appeal to the adults hiding within both of them to come to some middle ground and keep the company and all of the employees focused on the business at hand.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks for the positive comments. One would hope these two can move forward in a mature, professional manner, but I just want to be prepared in case the manager comes to me again and expresses his discomfort.

• I am still not clear what you role is? Are you responsible for resolving this situation? It just might help regarding how I would respond.

Elizabeth
  • I am responsible for monitoring this to prevent it from becoming a problem. The manager came to me to express his discomfort. My response was that he make it very clear the relationship was only professional from that point forward and to act accordingly. He appears to have done that at first, however at times seems to have slipped back into much to casual dealings with her. I guess my worry is that neither of them lead the other on and not to give mixed signals.
  • Not being on probation I can answer. We have had to deal with a few office romances, even some that have gone sour. First, if the guy is uncomfortable, you can't dictate that he interact with her other than what is necessary to get the job done. What he does at the gym should be none of your concern, it is outside of work. You can counsel him to be respectful and professional in his interaction with her at work. For example, cursing at her because he was mad over a problem is not going to help his cause if there are any accusations down the road and that behavior could lead to further action on her part. And if the CEO is unaware of what happened, maybe this guy should inform the CEO as you suggest so there will be no surprises. Then tell both parties to act like grown-ups.
  • I would take a practical approach. You mentioned they were working closely to bring a new department together. Has that been accomplished? If they still need to work closely together and the situation has gotten uncomfortable and now one is no longer working well with the other, then I think you have some problems. I don't know if it is retaliation or not, but if it is effecting the ability of the one EE to do her job, she may have some sort of adverse effect going on.

Ray made some good suggestions, and I would get this thing nipped in the bud. Get the relationship of solid professional footing. Perhaps they need to add a third person to the team as a buffer and an aid to keep things focused on a professional level?
  • RVetter,

Sounds like an "almost" office romance (unless someone is lying) gone sour. I gather you got your information from the male supervisor, and the female does not want to let it go. If no violations have occurred, it's a good time for preventive measures, like education and counseling.

Can you meet separately with both employees? Caution them about nonverbal, physical inuendos that may be construed as sexual harassment; like "accidental collisions," leaning over someones desk, gestures, and looks that may be unwanted by the other person. Give them the lecture about professionalism and caution them about their jobs. Neither one is totally innocent.

"Nip it in the bud."
  • Don, are you off probation yet? Want to hear what you advise. (BTW, I think I would stay out of it at this point).
  • So who is Don's PO? (Probation Officer) Does he have to wear one of those radio devices around his ankle to monitor where he goes and stuff? He already has gainful employment, so what else does he have to do to get off probation? Community service maybe?