does your company pay for CPR certification?

I am just wondering if any of you pay for CPR certification. We had someone ask if the company would pay for this. It was only $40 but seems like a good thing to have a few folks around who are certified in this just in case it's ever needed (we hope not). But, how far do you take this? Do you pay for it? Do you limit the reimbursement to XX number of employee's per site?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, we do. If you check with your local Red Cross Chapter, they will provide training at a cheaper rate. Their certification is only good for one year though. I would invest in the American Heart Association training as it is good for 2 years and the course is about 4 to 4 1/2 hours long, but is very comprehensive. If you can find someone certified to train CPR from a hospital or EMS group, they will come onsite and provide training for about $20 per participant for larger classes, but rates will be more if only a couple of EE's attend.
  • I'm in manufacturing. We have a 'first responder' team, which totals 15 people, some on each of three shifts. Each of them is trained in first aid, CPR and (soon) defibrilator at our expense.
  • Used to, but our philosophy now is to call 911 and let the experts handle emergencies. Ambulance is < 2 miles away. Corporate has a fear that if we do anything there could be a liability. Not sure I agree, but....
  • According to the Red Cross person who last trained me, anyone performing CPR, Heimlich, emergency breathing, is protected by Good Samaritan laws ...I can see liability if you ONLY had someone perform CPR and didn't call 911, but who the heck would do that?
  • Our Safety / Security manager is a certified trainer and we provide mandatory training for all management and supervisors annually for CPR, First Aid and AED. Our local Red Cross offers a certification class for trainers very reasonably and also provide the "dummys" for us to use for our training.
  • I believe OSHA requires all companies to provide trained "First Responders" on every shift. I don't have the exact section and quote readily available. Perhaps another Forumite could provide?
  • We pay for a someone to come and do onsite training once a year. We, also, pay the participants for the time they are in class.
  • we have four ees who are CPR instructors and we have two eight hour classes a month, we pay for the materials and the employees time to attend the class. We also require current certification for most of our job classes. We do not pay if the ee gets certification elswhere though.
  • We have a volunteer first aid team, 2 people per floor. We have 4 floors. The Red Cross provides annual first aid and CPR training to our group. Company pays for the training and for the employee's time.
  • We pay for our first responder team members 100%, anyone outside the team interested we pay 50% and they have to take the training outside of their schedule. The first responder team is cert in 1st aid and CPR. There are many services out there that offer the training $40 seems a little high you might want to check around.
  • Yes, we pay for CPR certification and we allow all volunteers to take the training course with the stipulation that they must perform CPR if needed. This helps to weed out folks who just want to get paid and not work. kj
  • Haven't read the rest of the replies, but we do pay for certification. Until recently, Washington State required that at least one person per department per shift be first aid/cpr trained - so we trained a lot of people. This rule has since changed, but we continue to train the same amount of people, because we believe in the training & you never know when you might need someone with the knowledge. We might be an anomaly though, I read somewhere that the Seattle area has more first aid/cpr trained individuals than anywhere in the nation. On the flip side :-?, maybe we also have the most heart attacks and accidents too...
  • Wow, thanks to all of you! Your replies have given me some great ideas on how to tailor this issue to our offices. Just as a side note, all of our positions are either clerical or sales (computer/software related.)