Human Resources---Core Competenticies

Last week during a conversation with an HR professional, I was asked in rather condesending tone, " You do know what the core competenticies are don't you". I replied, Of course I do. Afterward, I wasn't sure if we were on the same page. What exactly is your understanding of CORE COMPETENTICIES FOR HR PROFESSIONALS?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • GLENDA: I have been in this arena since, forever! I have attend many HR national conferences and training sessions, local personnel associations, I teach a course on Leadership to all supervisors and managers. I have never heard these terms in any forum with HRs! I would bet someone in your arena has "coined a term" and is writing a book on the subject. Now, if I was to guess: I would come up with HONESTY, KNOWLEDGE OF HR LAW, COMMUNICATIONS, AND GUTs!!

SEE, if you can get the person to tell you what his thoughts are on the subject by telling the person, that you experience has laid out the 4 characteristics above and let him/her jump on board with the answer.

Good Luck!

PORK
  • Verrrry good, Pork.

I was about to pick: "Knowledge of employment law, excellent communications skills, firing people and drinking coffee." Of course the second half is slight sarcasm, but what I'm known for. However, I actually do more than fire people and drink coffee.

• Funny, since a colleague and I were just having this discussion the other day. I think we came up with the following:

*Legal and regulatory compliance
    *Staffing, training, and organizational development
    *Benefits and compensation
    *Strategic partnering

On a lighter note, I would add additional duties as being:

*Babysitter
    *Judge, Juror and Executioner
    *Psychic

Gene

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-11-03 AT 12:37PM (CST)[/font][p]GENE: Now that is inciteful!!! The latter takes up most of our time and PROFESSIONAL FORTITUDE!

PORK
  • I believe the following qualifications were left out:
    Patience
    The Ability to keep a straight face
    Knowledge of certain words that cannot be printed on this thread.
    And, most important of all, great intelligence.
  • I want to add a few to the list, in addition to the better-known and obvious core competencies:

1 - High tolerance for pain
    2 - Ability to bite tongue without inflicting self-injury
    3 - Ability to assume roles of father confessor, coach, diplomat, pain-in-the-a**, harda**, enforcer, arbiter and soothsayer
  • Oh yes, and working during holidays.
  • According to SHRM and current HR textbooks, there are six or seven core competencies. These are the general areas tested for on the PHR exam. They are:

HR Planning and Analysis
    Equal Employment Opportunity
    Staffing
    HR Development
    Compensation and Benefits
    Health, Safety and Security
    Employee and Labor Management Relations

• Glenda: All of the answers you got are good. What the snob was looking for was what is tested on the SHRM certification exams and given on their website. I found one that defined these as: Strategic Contribution, Personal Credibility, HR delivery, Business Knowledge, and HR Technology. Stick with the forum definitions - they're better.

• Some of you "seasoned" HR people are a hoot. Thank you for the uplifting answers. Thank you to those who answered the question with "core" answers. Ya'll just make my day. xclap