Excessive absences

We have an ee in Customer Service (takes orders over the phone) with excessive absences. She is a single mom, and stays home whenever one of her kids is home from school sick, plus calls in "sick" on days when school is obviously closed. She has been with us 8 months. I have lots of compassion, as I am a single mom myself, but as such I have also learned to make other arrangements for my kids because I need to be at work. Her absence affects the entire department, and we are now heading into our busiest time of year. Additionally, she is not a very strong employee. Any advice on how to coach her? Her Manager doesnt address this very much, so it will be up to me to strongly encourage the manager to address it and/or address it myself. To compound the problem, there is another ee in the same dept. who also has a lot of absences, but is a strong worker when she is here. She is an older woman with personal health issues, who has been with us for several years. I do not want to appear to be treating people differently.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you do not have an attendance policy, now is the time to write it. If you do have an attendance policy, it must be enforced.
    As to appearing to be treating people differently, it happens all the time. For example, if I have an employee on intermittent FMLA leave, it may appear that the ee is getting special treatment when the fact is I am following the law. So, if you have an ee with health issues (they may or may not be subject to some law) but I don't know. Maybe that should be determined. As to the ee with kids, you can help make some suggestions for alternative arrangements for caring for the kids, but in the end, there is probably no possibility that her attendance can excused.
  • In the past, we've approached this with progressive discipline - simply telling the employee their absence is affecting productivity, classroom ratios, others' schedules, overtime, etc. We lost a UI case because the final absences were not considered "willful disregard of the employers interests" (important in AZ UI) because it wasn't "her fault" - her boyfriend's car broke down. Her history of chronic attendance problems wasn't her fault either: kids sick, car trouble, etc. 8-|

I learned recently at a UI seminar that if you give her alternative suggestions such as take a cab, catch the bus, walk, local sick child care, (all at her own expense, of course) and she refuses, then let her go for "refusal to follow instruction" vs. terming for attendance, similar to what Whatever suggested.

If she refuses to correct her attendance habits, you'll still be able to let her go, AND your case will stand up with UI.

• The only thing I have to add relates to the supervisor. Don't take over the supervisor's responsibility to deal with their employees. You are enabling them and it will bite you in the aXX sooner if not later. Help the supervisor but don't do their job. If they refuse they are the one that needs the coaching.
  • THEY ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS THE COACHING AND WRITE-UP!!!! and that is loud and clear. Give the sup the letter of instruction and deadline for getting the issue resolved. It is not the ees faults that the supervisor has allowed this violation of company policy to fester. That is if you have a company policy for the sup to follow and if not then write-up the HR or personnel manager and include a deadline for having the policy written and in place for all to read and understand, we are running a businees here and we pay for people to be at work and taking care of business!!!

PORK
  • "THEY ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS THE COACHING"

Pork and I said exactly the same thing at nearly the same time. Had I put it in caps I would swear we are twins seperated at birth. I need a drink. x:D

• >I learned recently at a UI seminar that if you give her alternative suggestions such as take a cab, catch the bus, walk, local sick child care, (all at her own expense, of course) and she refuses, then let her go for "refusal to follow instruction" vs. terming for attendance, similar to what Whatever suggested. <

> If she refuses to correct her attendance habits, you'll still be able to let her go, AND your case will stand up with UI. <

Maybe in Arizona, but it's very doubtful that this strategy would fly in Jersey. The attendance problem would be seen as a performance issue.
  • Of course the "suggestions" would need to be reasonable. If the nearest bus stop to the workplace is five miles away, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect her to walk the extra five miles.

I've already coached my directors to use this approach, and we'll see how it pans out in AZ.
  • I think you need to put the limits on the absences since they are affecting her productivity. I would suggest starting progressive discipline if you have that in place. The strong performer might be covered by the FMLA on intermitten absences. If she is and you document you should not have any issues. Other than the perception since you can't really talk about why she out.
  • >She is a single mom, and stays home whenever one
    >of her kids is home from school sick, plus calls in "sick" on days
    >when school is obviously closed. She has been with us 8 months.

>She is an older woman with personal health issues, who has been with us for several >years. I do not want to appear to be treating people differently.

I'm trying to figure out what is an 'older woman' with 'kids home sick from school'. Maybe she IS being treated differently.

• >I'm trying to figure out what is an 'older woman' with 'kids home sick
    >from school'. Maybe she IS being treated differently.

Don, I had the same thoughts until I re-read the post. There are two
    seperate Ees. One single mom and another older woman. I assume the
    poster meant that the "older woman" had as many absences but because
    she was a good worker they did not want to take disciplinary action.

To the poster, I would tread very carefully with the action that you
    would take with either EE. Be consistent in administering your policy.

• Perhaps you should start requiring a Doctor's note to justify the use of sick time. If you have a no-fault attendance policy, these unplanned absences quickly mount up to appropriate disciplinary action. For the ee with the health problems, FMLA would be an obvious avenue to explore to be certain you were not running afoul of that legislation.
  • 1. Have an attendance policy and enforce it.
    2. Make it a "no fault" policy with progressive discipline(verbal warning, 1st written, 2nd written, 3-days off, employee conference, 5-days pending, and possibly a last chance agreement).
    3. Make it reasonable.
    4. Treat everyone with blinders on when enforcing the policy.

Employees who are disciplined will almost invariably cry "unfair" if they even sense someone has gotten preferential treatment. This will be your biggest stumbling block should you find yourself in arbitration, or worse yet a wrongful dismissal lawsuit. Arbitrators want to know that the employee had a chance to correct his/her behavior and progressive discipline will demonstarte that. The one time you should deviate from the policy is when the action that triggered an employee to lose his/her job is considered minor or trivial. You may have to be creative in your logic but if he/she is a serious offender they will generally slip-up again on their own. If there are transportaion problems, let the employee know that reliable transportation is a job requirement. Be careful with the health issues so as not to violate FMLA rules. This goes for "sick" children as well as the employee's "health issues." Be sure the employees know their rights under the FMLA and how to properly exercise them with your company. Meeting the requirements of FMLA will take those occassions outside of your attendance policy. As for creating a policy that is considered "reasonable" by all concerned...Good Luck!