Social club uproar

My employees are in an uproar right now. Let me explain..
Our company has a social club with 8 members on the board. Two of the eight are managers of the company. Right now they are in a dispute over tickets to the Colts game. The club bought out a block for 50 employees at $35.00 a ticket. Only members who pay dues are allowed 1 free ticket and if they want to bring a guest or two it would be the employees responsibility to pay for them. The vice president (1 of the managers in the club) found out other employees who had no intention of going to the game, signed up and was giving their ticket to someone else so they would not have to pay extra. He then made the social club members go around and ask each employee who signed up if they were truly going or giving their tickets away to someone else. This infuriated the employees and the other manager. They felt it was their ticket and they could do whatever they wanted to with it because they pay their weekly dues into this. Others thought it was unfair to the honest ones paying for their guest. Would just like your thoughts on this...

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I cannot believe this an "official" company club. It sound like a bunch of ees got together to do something outside of work. All of its activities should be kept outside of work, just as disputes resolution, rules, membership problems, etc. are all OUTSIE OF WORK.

You should have nothing to do with it. Do not sanction it. Speak to the management members about keeping it outside of work, and talk to their boss if that is ineffective. This is not your company's problem.
  • This sounds like a bunch of high-schoolers bickering amongst themselves and that's where it should be resolved--amongst themselves.
  • Sounds more like law firm partners to me. They're worse than high-schoolers.

• Somehow, to me, it violates the spirit of the club. Certain "perks" or privileges are conferred on those who join and those "perks" or privileges should be used by the members, not given away to non-members. It just seems the ethical thing to do.

Kind of similar - our General Office used to have an annual picnic at Marine World, an animal/amusement park. We got free entry for ourselves and two extra tickets for family/friends, plus free lunch in a reserved area of the park. This was a very expensive venture. I didn't attend one year and some employees wanted my tickets to bring additional friends to the event. I said "no" because I felt it went against the intent of the president/CEO who footed the bill. I know in the above situation, the employees pay dues, but still feel wasn't the intent that they give away their perks.

Elizabeth
  • NANCYP in IN: Please tell us more! A social club within a company operation, wow; and with the CEO and the President footing the bill, WOW! Sounds like a mighty nice set-up for the senior leadership to be funding tax right-offs as company benefits/perks with no tax back arrangements for those reaping the benefits, and I bet there are hidden events paid for by the social club and nothing gets charged back to the ee regardless of rank. Tell us more we might all like to set this sweet deal up for our ees.

DO YOU SERVE PORK AT YOUR EVENTS, I KNOW WHERE WE CAN PICK UP A FEW ON HOOF READY FOR THE SPIT AND AT NO COST TO ANY MEMBER! OH HOW SWEET IS IS TO BE IN A SIMPLE OPERATING COMPANY THAT PAYS WELL AND EARNS BONUS MONEY OFTEN.

PORK
  • Hi Pork,

Count your blessings, and from reading your posts, I think you do.

Yes, we serve pork as one of our dishes for our company Thanksgiving feast. It is not free though.
  • Do I have this right? Some members who don't want to go to the game are giving their one free ticket to other members so they can take a guest without paying for the second ticket. Or are they giving them away to non-members? Or are they perhaps making a buck on the one free ticket?

Either way, it's nothing HR can or should be controlling. If the "social club" doesn't like it, then next time they should put some rules on the give away.

It's not quite the same thing, but each year we buy a block of tickets to two Diamondback games. Employees enter a raffle - if drawn they get two tickets for themselves and a guest. If they can't or don't want to go we ask them to give them back so we can draw another employee. But it doesn't always happen...I go to the game and don't recognize faces. Ask someone else if they do and I get, "Oh that's Robert's parents because he couldn't come."
  • >Do I have this right? Some members who don't want to go to the game
    >are giving their one free ticket to other members so they can take a
    >guest without paying for the second ticket. Or are they giving them
    >away to non-members? Or are they perhaps making a buck on the one
    >free ticket?
    >
    >Either way, it's nothing HR can or should be controlling. If the
    >"social club" doesn't like it, then next time they should put some
    >rules on the give away.
    >
    >It's not quite the same thing, but each year we buy a block of tickets
    >to two Diamondback games. Employees enter a raffle - if drawn they
    >get two tickets for themselves and a guest. If they can't or don't
    >want to go we ask them to give them back so we can draw another
    >employee. But it doesn't always happen...I go to the game and don't
    >recognize faces. Ask someone else if they do and I get, "Oh that's
    >Robert's parents because he couldn't come."

• Yes Leslie, all of the above. This has really caused quite a stink. It's really wearing me out. It seems like every event the same thing happens even with rules. Now I have two managers that are making everyone on the social club very uneasy because they are expecting members to take sides. Oh my..I really have better things to do. Thanks for listening!
  • As others have pointed out, this is their problem to sort out. You may want to mention that the next time they do this that you would be happy to share your input based on experience as to what has and hasn't worked before it gets to this point.

For those bickering, please ask them about how much more time (beyond that already wasted) will be spent on this? We all hope they have bigger fish to fry than this especially if they're in a senior level position.
  • I wouldn't get mad at Robert for giving tickets to his parents. Seems like a nice thing to do, and perhaps he gained more satisfaction from doing that than he would have gained from attending himself. If so, how can you hold it against him? If you have rules in place that are ignored and unenforceable and get people upset, get rid of the rules or figure out a way to enforce them. Like Leslie said, if you can't control it, let it go.
  • Get rid of the social club - if several want to have a social club not related to the company good for them. I would back the company as far away as possible - this might be a good reason.
  • Nancyp, if your company setup is the same as my former employer, then the dues you mentioned each employee pays are probably being automatically deducted from their paychecks, there is some supplemental income being provided, perhaps from vending machine profits, and you have a system in place for election of board members, and probably some written guidelines. Therefore, this is a company sponsored program and historically HR is the overseer, and you bear the burden of instituting controls and resolving disputes. Now, if the club doesn't have company involvement, then I agree with the others who say stay out of it.

If this is your burden, then at least you now can help the club members decide on how they want this situation to be handled in the future. One thing we learned was to never pay 100% of any giveaway, picnic, dance, tickets, etc. At least when employees had to share in some of the cost, it slowed down the result your employees experienced. But it didn't eliminate it. Everyone eventually accepted the idea that tickets would be swapped around, and nobody could offer a solution.

P.S. I love Peyton Manning of the Colts, but the TENNESSEE TITANS RULE.
  • Good idea Crawfod! No more free tickets to anything and the employees will pay half or whatever. I think this just might work. Thanks