Performance Appraisals

For those of you that perform appraisals as part of your Performance Management Program, do you give the employee an advanced copy of the completed appraisal before the actual meeting? I'm curious to know the pros and cons of doing so.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You will probably find a lot of different approaches in the answers to this question.

We discuss the process thoroughly beforehand in a staff meeting.

I give a blank evaluation and a copy of the job description to the ee and have them self-evaluate. I prepare my own evaluation of their performance and we sit down and compare. We discuss each area as thoroughly as necessary and delve deeply into areas of major differences.

This is an extremely important tool in your HR toolkit. If it is not done honestly and completely, it can do more harm than good. It must honestly portray an ees performance. How often do you see ees in a disciplinary process for issues that have been around a long time and the evaluations say nothing of the problems.
  • we have the employee enter their data first..accomplishments, strengths, weaknesses and career aspirations. They then get it to their supervisor. The supervisor plugs in his/her impressions of the ee as well as strengths, etc....the employee sees it, reviews it and then the two get together for the one on one review. This process helps everyone get on the same page and seems to help.
  • We do the same thing. At first, it was weird for me but I soon learned to not hold back and to be honest about my accomplishments, strengths and areas of improvement.
  • The job descriptions that I use are inclusive of performance evals and so ee gets job description and eval form all-in-one upon hire so that they know full well what's expected and how they will be evaluated. JCAHO loved the forms.
  • We don't give the employee a completed form in advance of the meeting, but it's an interesting idea.

Giving the employee the completed eval prior to meeting would definitely help the employee feel more prepared for the meeting, instead of stressing about how it will go. Even the best employees tend to be a little apprehensive before their evaulation. This would require a bit more organization on the supervisor's part - give the completed form, scheduled a sit-down time, and conduct the face-to-face evaluation. Currently, I believe the supervisors just say "hey - time for your review! Let's go!". 8-|

We DO give the employee a blank eval form for them to complete as a self-eval prior to the meeting, but not the job description. Another interesting idea.