Department of Workforce Development protest

I discovered yesterday via the Monthly Statement of Benefit Charges that our friends at the Indiana Department of Workforce Development went and awarded benefits to a former employee without ever sending the Seperating/Base Period Employer Notice. Naturally they cannot imagine this happening. I don't know the folks over there very well, but surely someone over there is familiar with human error and will check into my concern. Any ideas who I may address this problem to? I was thinking of using one of the Judges, but hope there is someone actually in charge of things like this. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

B. Stephan

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• I don't know the organizational structure in your state. In my state, it would be the Director of the Department of Benefits or his/her designee. Don't expect to be privy to any conversation about a particular claimant's file, though. About all you might find out is whether or not you were/are a base period employer. Contacting one of the 'judges' will be a whistle in the wind. The question I have, though, is that if you already know you are a base period employer, as your post seems to indicate, would it have made a difference had you gotten the notice? If they tell you that you were the last employer of record, however, and your HR department never got any notification of a claim being filed, then you have a beef. But, again, a whistle in the wind.
  • Don,
    Thanks for your advice. I discovered a web site (LMI-net) that gives the director of all workforce development programs in the US. Charles Mazza is my contact for Indiana.
    Thanks again for your help

Bill Stephan

• I would think you would be able to protest any charges that you believe to be incorrect for whatever reason. At least this is true in the states where we do business. It is then researched and sometimes the charge is removed and sometimes not. But we also have appeal rights after that and can be heard before a judge. Also, in some our states, we do receive base claims and can protest them just as an initial claim and that appears true in your state. Usually almost anything and everything is "protestable", I think.

Elizabeth
  • Elizabeth,
    I agree. I have discovered the name of the Director for Indiana. I'll give him a try. Too bad this can't be done with a simple call, but that's the way it goes. Thanks for you advice.

Bill Stephan