"Guiding a supervisor"

Several of our supervisors have a tendancy to judge an employees work by how much they like them, not the job performance. I have emotional reactions that are destructive, and not handed out equaly across the organization, that continue to be an almost weekly issue. I am looking for some productive way to "guide" these supervisors into giving each employee some support and assistance, not smashing and bashing based on "the flavor of the month". By the way, this is a healthcare facilty, where we are facing a critical shortage. I strongly support our clinical staff, they are true assets here, supervisors need to stick with true disciplinary actions, not fluff that just aggravates the staff. Any suggestion, or concrete guidelines that could be offered that would assist in leveling the playing field for the staff?
thanks

by the way, as a non nurse, i can be considered one step above a receptionist by some of the managers, i need to play REALLY nice here:)

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• I'm not going to be much help because we have the same problem with pharmacists. There is a severe shortage of them and they can pretty much write their own ticket. Some of our store have only one pharmacist and if he/she gets upset and walks, we would probably have to close the store. So, it is always an exercise in diplomacy to iron out problems the techs, ancillaries have with the pharmacists. Though there are some behaviors that can't be tolerated such as the call I just received regarding a pharmacy manager using profanity. I'll be interested in what others have to suggest.

Elizabeth
  • What is your position within the company (HR Manager, HR Director, etc.) and who do you report to (CFO, CEO, etc.)? The managers may consider you one step above, but the executives may not.
  • I am the "HR Assistant", who I assist, I'll never know, as I am a department of one. My direct report is to the facility administrator, with a dotted line to the COO. My direct administrator is a nurse, and is one of the problems, she certainly is quite supportive of me, however, one of the most emotionally reactive. I also have a great resource in the COO, a former hospital director of HR, but I need to watch my step as far as following the chain of command. He certainly would not be open to criticism of the administrator coming from me, which is why I am looking for some steps I might be able to implement that would be construed as more "performance actions" guidelines for management as a whole.
    thanks
  • My suggestion - make sure your appraisal system is completely behavior based. Most behaviors are not open to interpretation, either the employee performed this task or they didn't. If a supervisor says something like "that so and so is so hard to deal with" , gently ask them what behavior was demonstrated to make the supervisor say that. Based upon their response, make suggestions to the supervisor as to what kind of guidance can be given to reinforce a "positive" behavior.

If your place is anything like mine, and it sounds like it is, its not going to be easy; I'm in a cliquey work environment where what you describe happens alot and it is frustrating to watch and is often the result of a long engrained culture. Take baby steps as not to alienate everyone and maybe one person will listen and start to change (am I being too hopeful?).
  • This is kind of an unsolicited plug here for M. Lee Smith. I had the same problem here (local government setting)and took a look at the Ten Danger Zones - you've probably seen the literature. Our administrator recognized the need for training managers and was supportive. We ordered the Ten Danger Zones and supplemented it with our own materials and articles. It's made a world of difference in management's perception of HR. They didn't know that they had to know so much.

I came from a long term health care environment (43,000 employees) with an average of 135 employees in each facility. Managers are poorly trained. They may be very clinically good, but can't manage people worth a Cr@&.

It's going to depend on you convincing someone that they need to take a look at management training.

"Sam"
  • I can totally relate to this situation. I manage a small facility that is in the health care/social servic area. I get a lot of people covering up for each other because "I like them. I don't want them to get in trouble." Never mind that the person may be 1) Not doing their job 2) Causing conflict by gossiping or bad mouthing their co-workers 3) Any number of other undesirable behaviors. Having to then tip toe around the issues so as not to "upset" anyone, because if they walk, we're screwed.

And, to be honest, I can be one of those emotionally reactive supervisors, although I tend to repress that until I can vent to my supervisor. Still, I have found myself scrutinizing EE's that I don't particularly like, and have to keep myself in check so as to keep my opinions seperate.

I would love to be properly trained to supervise people, to the degree at which I feel comfortable with what I am doing. Just being able to manage the EE's without having Maalox for breakfast every morning would be an improvement.
    So what is this Ten Danger Zones you were talking about?
  • S Moll, thanks for the unsolicited plug. Bounce, here's how to find out more about 10 Danger Zones: In the blue bar running down the left side of this screen, under "Ways We Can Help," click on "Training Videos." The tapes cover a lot of important information in interesting, bite-sized chunks, easily understood by your supervisors and employees. John Phillips, the employment law attorney who leads the discussions in the videos, is an outstanding human being in addition to being an excellent talker and disseminator of information. Plus, the handouts and other background info that are provided to you, the HR person, will make you look like you really know what you're talking about! (I'm sure that's the case anyway, but it never hurts to have the support materials.) Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other info. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • There is a book called Discipline Without Punishment. Although it gives some radical ideas about "punishment" that some would not agree with, it does a great job of how to deal with behaviors that are not accepted. You deal with the behaviors based on fact, not emotion.