Second Job

Need some feedback on how you handle mid-level managers who moonlight...wondering if any issues abound that prohibit sull-time managers from doing secondary paid work on their off hours? i.e. a finance manager who does tax work on the side.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have no policy about this. If the second job impacted the quality of work we would address the performance issue, but basically consider that what employees do on their own time, as long as its legal, is their own business. I once knew a manager who cleaned out a parking garage on weekends to help pay his daughter's college tuition. What would be your company's concern: performance due to overwork, or competition? I think that most police forces have moonlighting regulations but other than that I know of none.

• I agree with you 100%, but my CEO thinks otherwise. Unless we have a specific written policy or contract, I cannot see denying a person a right to earn extra cash. No evidence that the outside work is impacting his performance here either.
  • Our policy states that its ok as long as they are not working for a competitor, vendor or contractor that we use. So, basically, no conflict of interest can present itself with the second job.
  • Our policy is similar to Rad's. If you do not have a policy, how will you justify discipline? Just a thought. So long as you are aware and the full time job is getting done, I don't see any problem with a second job.
  • Police forces do, and there's a reason: We need to worry about our employees exercizing their 'police powers' while they're on their other jobs. As soon as they take action on anything related to police work, they basically put themselves on duty and we bear the brunt of their actions. So, we have to be careful. As far as others, I agree, as long as it doesn't interfere with job performance, I'd leave it be.
  • We prevent most of our employees from moonlighting too (which is sad because on the lower end, our F/T people nearly qualify for food stamps!) Any moonlighting must be reported to HR prior to employment. Generally, work in the retail area is approved, but we have to be careful.. our employees have access to loads of confidential information and we cannot provide a venue for identity theaft. We also have a no-compete clause-so no competitors, or similarly situated work.

• Do you have them sign an agreement not to moonlight while employed with you? If not, how do you monitor what they're doing?
  • Your CEO must have thinking back from the good (?) old days when moonlighting rules were common. Times have changed and there is a lot of room for challenge if someone wants to try and control off duty hours. Maybe the poor souls who need to moonlight can't make it on one salary.
  • You're exactly right. He is thinking about the old days and not taking into account the various reasons why employees might moonlight. He's also not considering the fact that it's ok for entry level employees to do it but not mid-level and higher managers. Sounds lie discrimination at the very least.
  • I think there are some instances where moonlighting should be restricted, but overall, what is the problem with moonlighting? It shows great work ethic and willing to go the extra mile to get things done.

When my wife and I we were first raising our family, we decided that having a stay at home parent helped create the kind of environment that would greatly benefit our children. At the time, I had the greater earning potential. I was a CPA for a "Big 8" firm and did tax work and bookkeeping on the side, making sure that none of this work was anything my firm would be interested in. I made sure none of this affected my performance, I was highest rated in my peer group and never let my other work interfere, which was tough during busy season. Nonetheless, we stuck it out and I think achieved our goals of raising some great kids.

In any event, maybe your moonlighters should approach the CEO and indicate their need for more money and give him the first right of refusal on the extra hours they have available. Maybe that will place it in perspective.