Video on what is business casual dress

Does anyone know where we can get a video on what is considered business casual dress? Some employees will not "get it" unless something is shown to them, hopefully.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have not heard of any video thats out, but I do know what you mean about employees not getting it. I just had a meeting with the president of the company about this same thing. Of course he did not want to deal with it, I was going to put out a memo, but he thought that was to harsh and was afraid that the person which it was really intented for for would think that it was directed at her. He would rather me go through the back door with her instead of dealing with it head on. Of course she if obviousley violating the rules of our handbook.
  • This is a bit off the thread - but somewhat instructive in a bizare way. My uncle, a minister, was at his wits end over the incessant gossipping of Mrs Smith, a long time member of the congregation. Not having the gumption to approach her head-on and have it out, he tailored a sermon on the evils of gossip. On the day of delivery, Mrs Smith was in her usual pew, nodding and amaning at all the appropriate places. Uncle Wilson was sure he was getting the message delivered. After the service, as he was greeting the parishioners at the door, Mrs Smith told him what a wonderful, direct and appropriate message he had delivered - "only it's too bad Mrs Jones wasn't here to hear it"! Last time he ever used a sermon to deliver a message intended for a limited audience! Probably good advice for us as well.
  • Have no idea if they do this, but one avenue you might explore is the Men's Wearhouse. They make their living selling dress and business casual attire and maybe their corporate office would have something for you to try. Couldn't hurt. Good luck.
  • I agree. I did work for a company that had a "fashion show" as well as offering our employees substantial discounts. Of course, we spoke with the "show coordinators" about what type of business attire we were aiming at.

It took a while, but employees started coming around. Peer pressure, or the excitment of new clothes, not sure.

St. Cloud Proud
  • Seems to me that I remember hearing about either Levi's or Lee's (the jeans makers) having a sample business casual policy and perhaps also a video. I just tried searching their sites and couldn't easily find anything, but you may want to contact them to find out if they still have that material.
  • Michelle M. O'Neil
    There is a good video and workbook put out by Alfred A. Knopf
    Work Clothes-Casual Dress for Serious Work.
    The authors are Kim Johnson & Jeff Stone. You can order it through [url]www.randomhouse.com[/url].

Good Luck

• One of the most challenging issues for me is that even business casual is different by interpretation. I have read several of Kim Johnson Gross & Jeff Stone's books - they are great. However, my employees don't have the budget to dress the way they demonstrate, nor is their "Corporate" view of business casual necessary in our environment.

I know in our office, and many others I think, what we wear Monday through Thursday, wouldn't even meet the level of business casual for Friday according to the Guru's. In trying to address this issue recently, I have checked about 10 books out of the library and read dozens of articles on the internet. 99% of them address business casual as a very corporate business casual. Do you know what I mean? Women don't have to wear a matching suit, you may wear one color pants with a different color jacket on a casual day. Or your third piece might be a coordinating quality cardigan or vest, but a third piece is still required on casual day! One article says floral prints are never appropriate at work. If my staff thought that applied to them, it might eliminate a third of their clothing.

Many times people in our office are in simple pants/skirt and a shirt/blouse. They are fine for our office but would never cut it when compared to those books or videos.

My problem and I suspect others is the few that aren't technically out of dress code, but they just look too casual...wrinkled, a little dirty, an item that is too worn, too sloppy, too loose, too tight, etc. I don't want to make them feel like they have to spend a lot of money or dress for IBM, just raise it up a notch!

Thanks for letting me vent - I've been mulling over this issue for 2-3 weeks.
    Barbara
  • You can alway make your own video. .it can be fun. .and tailored to your company.
  • My boss gets credit for this idea...

Get volunteers to assist with a fashion show with good and bad examples to make it fun. Take pics and create a powerpoint presentation (or use overheads or slides if you don't have the technology).

It's on my long long long list of "stuff" to get to. I plan on adding this to our orientation presentation.
  • Great idea - I just read in the paper this weekend that the schools are doing the same thing. I particularly like the idea of using "bad examples" along with the good examples.

I suspect in most offices employees usually conform - but there will always be one or two (or more!) who just don't get it and you (HR) will be spending a lot of time trying to make them "get it".

Good Luck

KJS
  • Years ago, before business casual got to be SO casual, we addressed this with one of my former employees. We had "lunch and learn" programs each month. We had someone come in and do a session on "appropriate business attire". But the most important thing is that we had them tailor it to our business and our atmosphere. (don't address what a bank would do in a manufacturing company, etc.) It was lots of fun. Also, since it wasn't HR or someone from the Company telling them what to do, they took it much better. I may be off, but I think it was somone from one of the dept. stores or they told us of someone. They can also gear it to the pocket book of the audience. One thing I remember so clearly from this was that the GM was so excited about it he sat in on it and actively participated. The consultant even talked about men's ties and said that yellow ties (at that time) were on the outs. He sat the GM with his yellow tie that his wife had given him the week before for his birthday!
    Anyway, this session was fun and we had a great turnout. I did see a difference in the office from it. Some people just need some help and guidance, but not orders.
    Have fun with it.
    E Wart
  • I think I have the answer. The City of New Orleans, and in fact, the State of Louisiana, will furnish you with as much tape of Mardi Gras as you would like. As a promotional campaign for tourism, both market videos of this annual event in hopes of getting more people to 'come on down'. The video will be useful to you in your training. Just tell employees, "Whatever you see in this video, don't try it at work. If you do not see it in this video, more than likely you may wear it at work. Some of you will recognize yourselves in this video. We expect you to change accordingly".
  • I just purchased one from Amazon.com. It's called "Looking Great At Work" and covers 'never wears' such as ripped clothing, short shorts, etc. It begins with baseline casual, which for our company would be appropriate for the custodian staff and some of the back office areas. It moves on to casual for those employees who meet the public, business casual which is more appropriate for managers, and executive casual which is real close to executive business formal.

The video also covers basic grooming, like washing hair and brushing teeth. Although we don't often need that, some companies that hire teens might find it useful.