Employee Testing

My employer is considering testing employees to measure job knowledge. They would like to terminate employees who do not pass the tests. I have already raised concerns about the testing process itself (making sure we provide reasonable accommodations, etc.) but am looking for any feedback about the decision to terminate employees who don't pass.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What's your industry? It sounds as though you are implementing this for the first time, so I assume that this rule will apply to new hires as well as current employees. What's the business reason for doing the testing? What is your minority mix?

Sorry - I sound like a little kid, "What's that..." x:-)
  • The testing is for both current employees and new employees. It has to do with a new line of products that employees must become knowledgable about. I am more comfortable with testing new employees if they are advised of the test and the consquences upon being offered the job. However, I don't feel as comfortable with terminating current employees who don't pass the test. The employees are employed on an at-will basis so I believe we can lawfully terminate them, I am just looking for guidance from others who may have used a similar program.
  • I've done testing in our company and it was in regards to job knowledge. We informed everyone involved that you had to receive a 70% score in order to pass. Here's a few of the things we did:

1. We announced the test and performed 1 hour training classes once a week for 5 weeks.
    2. We allowed individuals to take their information home to study.
    3. We had interpreters present during the training classes and the same interpreters came back for the test.
    4. Anyone who did not get a 70% score was allowed to take a retest 2 weeks later.
    5. Anyone who failed the retest, was terminated.

34 of 35 employees passed. Of the employees that passed, about 14 did not pass the first go around. The one that didn't pass, not surprisingly, was also one of the worst performers in the department. The employees that took the test were a mixed bag of English speaking, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean employees.
  • Check some past threads on this topic. There is a wealth of information there which will help you.
  • Thanks. I tried a search but found threads primarily dealing with drug testing.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-03 AT 12:20PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-03 AT 12:18 PM (CST)[/font]

Those threads maybe so old they are gone? Who will develop the test? I would be concerned about the reading level, validity, etc Look down this forum to pre employment testing searching for. .Don and others offer good input. .