Not Eligible for Rehire

I just interviewed an applicant whom we all liked, but when I called a past employer for verification,I asked if they would rehire her. The lady on the phone said it was marked "not eligible for rehire". She worked there for 4 years. I asked the applicant why she left the company and she said because of Budget cuts and her position had been eliminated...Should I be concerned??? I can't decide whether to call her back or not. Thank you for your help...

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, you should be concerned. Since many companies will not give you further information on the status, you could ask, "Is it beacuse of budget issues?" See what the answer is. I have met many great interviewees only to find they were let go for insubordination, etc. Proceed with caution, because if you don't, she could now be your headache!
  • Here's a few things:

1. You can try asking the applicant why they would say that she isn't eligible for rehire.

2. Another I do when I get that response from a former employer is ask, "Are they not eligible for rehire for their previous position, or are they not eligible for rehire with the company period?" There is a subtle difference. We had a HR person that was really a great person, but she did a terrible job in HR. Hence, she was not eligible for rehire as a HR person, but if a different position came up in the company, we would consider her.

3. Have the applicant sign a reference check form. Some previous employers will add more information to the reference check once they know that their former employee has given them the 'green light'.

Finally, ask yourself what you liked about this applicant during the interview - was it that she was approachable, funny, smart, etc. and then compare that to her responses on what you think were the most important questions you asked during the interview. If you asked questions like, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", or "Why should we hire you?", or my personal favorite, "Why do you want this job?" then you may not have asked the 'right' questions. Anything that you fear - attendance, attitude issues, poor performance, etc. you can ask (provided their properly formatted) & it should help you get the answers your seeking.

Bottom line, be as objective as possible. Create some selection criteria and then stick with it.
  • Are you saying that I CAN tell the applicant I was told she was "Not Eligible for Rehire???? That doesn't pose a confidentiality problem anywhere? After thinking about it, I guess she could have called and received the same answer as I did, but am I allowed to tell her why we do not want to hire her? Still learning...Thank you all..
  • Yes I am telling you that you can say that to an applicant - especially if after learning this information from the previous employer it affects your determination to either offer a job or not. The applicant can either provide an explanation or they can go to their previous employer to find out why they are ineligible.
  • Thank you!!! That helps and makes sense...I'm always so afraid of doing or saying the wrong thing.
  • Generally, I have found there are two major reasons for "no hire" on former employees.

One is a company-wide policy that the company will not rehire any former employees and two is: there is a good reason this person would not be eligible for rehire. You can almost tell from the tone of the conversation you are having with the former employer that this was a problem person..i.e., dead silence when you mention the former employee's name, skirting the issue when you ask questions about performance, etc.

• I have found that there are MORE occasions when 'no rehire' is 'bogus' than 'real'.

(1) Many companies have policies precluding rehire, period. Companies will either not respo0nd further or the clerk you're talking to hasn't a clue.
    (2) Many companies have clerical support staff fielding these questions or 'the lady in payroll' and I have known quite a few of these types to speak from the hip using their own personal opinion and interjecting their own brand of wisdom.
    (3) Often, very very often, somebody checks that box because they are in a bad mood or were ticked off because somebody resigned, or they are the company tyrant themselves anyway who nobody likes working for.
    (4)Often a department head will not rehire because they felt threatened by the capacity or expertise of the subordinate who is leaving and for personal reasons, don't want them back.

(As an aside, in my last job, the wife of the owner was the company tyrant and ran off every single soul who ever worked in sales or marketing or customer service, most vice presidents, department managers and a few other positions. She caused tons of real good people to seek other opportunities. And on every single one of them she would check "not eligible for rehire". All these people left the company, not because of her style, but because "they were sorry employees".)

Sure, it's always a first-alarm red flag, but on further analysis and exploration and discussion with the applicant and the interview team, it can be brushed aside just as easily as it can be a reason for not hiring the applicant. In the overall background investigation process, everything ought to be weighed against every possibility. If the totality of the interview process, more often than not, everything else will typically outweigh one no-rehire.
  • Hmmmm I use the "not eligible for rehire" as a way to warn off others about an employee. I have a network of others that do the same thing. But I can see your point, many people mark former employees this way out of spite or anger and not for the right reasons.
    I am always to rehire good employees who left right. Gave notice, left for better opportunity, etc. I will say that I have hired some back, and there have been others who were good employees, that we did not hire back. They were never satisfied with what they were making, and when the looked to come back we felt that would not change and they would not be here for the long haul. So we passed even though they were eligible for rehire.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • One of my former bosses always said: "In most cases the reasons the employee left in the first place are still here." He was not in favor of rehiring unless the person left to relocate or something beyond their control. In many cases, employees found the grass was "not greener" on the other side and "surprise!" - other companies have issues also.
  • We mark not eligible for rehire if the employee did not give reasonable notice (ask for two - are okay, in most positions, with one).

If it's a specific department the person cannot go back to, we mark eligible for rehire. After those two boxes there is a line for "Exception." The ineligible department's name is listed.

• I would call the former employer back and just ask if they could verify the reason for leaving. They might not tell you EXACTLy why she left but they may be able to verify whether it was purely a budgetary issue.

Most employers don't like hearing ex-employees lie about why they were terminated. Even those with strict "no info" reference policies will sometimes be unable to refuse "setting the record straight".

Other than that, I'd say that flag is definitely reddish orange at least.

Paul
  • Are you saying that I CAN tell the applicant I was told she was "Not Eligible for Rehire???? That doesn't pose a confidentiality problem anywhere? After thinking about it, I guess she could have called and received the same answer as I did, but am I allowed to tell her why we do not want to hire her? Still learning...Thank you all..
  • It seems the only reference calls I receive are for former employees that are not eligible for rehire. It seems they can't hold a job for very long. Our policy is to verify dates of employment, position, and whether or not they are eligible for rehire. You have to be fired to receive the ineligible rating, or in the case of a former HR assistant that FINALLY gave her notice, just not worth the trouble.
  • I had an applicant who interviewed well and had the qualification we were looking for. Her former employer said not eligible for rehire. After calling other references and getting good information, I called the former employer back and asked why she wouldn't be eligible for rehire. They said because her position had been eliminated. We hired her and have been very satisified with her.
  • Nevada: Although you CAN tell an applicant why they were not hired, it is rarely, if ever, wise to do so. Nothing positive is accomplished and often the remarks can be turned against the employer in the form of a charge of some sort. I have always found it best to just give a bland general statement to all rejected candidates who did not float to the top. Something like, "The company has made a decision regarding the position of Electrical Engineer. We appreciate your interest in Atomic Solutions, Inc, however, another candidate was accepted for this position." If the candidates badgers you on the phone or seems insistent that he/she have a specific answer, depending on the level to which his anxiety/insistence has risen I would say something somewhere between, "We've made an offer and it's been accepted. I appreciate your interest." and "John, I think this is the fifth time you have called regarding the position that was filled a month ago. I've explained that we do not give candidates specific feedback as to how the selection decision was made. Again, there is no need for you to continue calling me about this." Nor should we tell rejected candidates who was hired and what that person's credentials were that led to the hire. There is nothing to be gained by entering into a conversation about the rejection, the successful candidate, the job's content, the candidate's prior experience or a tennis match with him/her.
  • I agree with Don. I never go into specifics with rejected candidates. When I inform them that the search process is over and they were not chosen, I thank them for their time and interest and simply tell them we made an offer to another candidate who accepted. Very few people have challenged me or pressed me for further details, but on the rare occassion they do, I tell them something like, the person we chose was selected because we felt their qualifications were a better fit for our organization. Kind of "vanilla", but hard for them to dispute. I will not get into a discussion over it. As Don said, it could lead to trouble down the road.
  • Thank you everyone....I called all the denied applicants yesterday and did NOT go into any explanations. That was easier than I thought. I did pretty much what Don and Ray said to do and felt good about it. I have a tendancy to try and be honest with everyone and that just doesn't work in this position. You know what I mean? No details....Thank you again for all of your help! You are better than any training in the world! Las Vegas, NV
  • I basically agree with Don and Ray, but have on occasion given a reason. If I have been impressed with a candidate but they lacked something specific such as typing speed or a specific software experience, I have told them that information if they asked.

Re: when we do references, we do them pre-offer.
  • I have done the same thing...I just can't help myself! And we also call for verification pre-offer...Thank you! :)
  • The calls that aggravate me the most are the ones from rejected applicants that want advise. They call wanting to know how to improve their interviewing skills, appearance, resume, education, etc. I find the easiest way to get off the telephone is to tell them that I interview so many applicants that I cannot possibly remember each and every one of them much less to go into specifics. I guess this must be a tool suggested by some outsource companies.
  • Hi Nevada - I'm happy to hear that everything went well for you. If I'm really interested in an applicant and they get a 'ineligible for rehire' I do usually tell them so they can explain/clear things up. If I'm not interested, then I don't and let them know that we are either still looking or have hired someone else. x:-)
  • Yes, Nevada, you can tell an employee that he was shown as not eligible for rehire, if you choose to, but I would not. You will likely burn the bridges you used to get that sort of information if you do that. It is no breach of confidentiality, unless ethically, to reveal something you gained in a promise of confidence to another. I would simply say that a decision was made to fill the position with another individual and thank you very much for your interest and application. I would not get into a back and forth about what references said or why the person was not hired. No one has a right to that explanation unless in a hearing where you are obligated by law to reveal it.
  • I'm so happy that you are on this forum Don D.