Dress Codes

Can you specify to the women not to wear the neckline below your collar bone, no tight pants, and no sleveless tops? The women work in an office that rarely see customers.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Remembering that an employer has the right to set its dress code as it deems appropriate and altho there is the obligation to administer the code in a non-discriminatory manner, the short answer to your question is probably YES.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-03 AT 03:45PM (CST)[/font][p]There is nothing illegal about doing this as long as it applies to everyone in a similar position. In other words don't single her out. Send out a dress code reminder to everyone and if she doesn't get the hint, talk to her.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-03 AT 04:10PM (CST)[/font][p]As mentioned above, you as the employer can make the call. Just be careful when you set a fairly strict requirement such as no neckline below the collarbone, that you enforce it across the board. Someone wearing a plunging neckline can complian if they get written up but someone with a neckline 1 inch below the collarbone (which is average) doesn't. I would venture to say that the majority of appropriate necklines for women at work are below the collarbone. Even a simple v-neck would be inappropriate according to those guidelines.

Our dress codes specifies no sleeveless tops. It also specifies clothing that is too tight, too low cut or too sheer is inappropriate.
  • Ours says:

Specifically prohibited,

a. Revealing attire
    b. Tight-fitting attire
    c. Overly baggy attire
    d. Shorts, unless part of uniform
    e. Sandals in areas where open toe presents a safety hazard
    f. T-shirts, tank tops, spaghetti strapped and/or halter tops
    g. Mini-skirts
    h. Jogging/sweat suits
    i. Exposed midriffs

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-15-03 AT 07:07AM (CST)[/font][p]Years ago our dress code specified sleeveless tops could not have straps less than 3 inches wide. Go ahead take a ruler around and measure straps. It got to be impossible to enforce. When you set objective criteria, such as measurements, how close is close enough, and are you going to enforce strictly or allow some leeway?

Here is a potential scenario:
    Manager - "Your collarbone is showing, that top is against the rules."
    EE - "Are you sure you are looking just at my collarbone and not something else?"
  • Ray: It takes a woman to come up with that kind of dress code as well as to enforce it. There is no way a man can or would come up with those kinds of criteria, nor should he, I suppose. How many inches above the knee, how wide the strap, how revealed the various bones, how strapped the toes, how thick the pancake batter and how long the nails just ain't our purview. Then there's the back pocket, which if present, according to my present understanding, makes the slacks too casual unless there's a button down flap, or do I have this one backwards? Sheeeshhhh!
  • This is definitely a "no win" situation. We also had a rule on skirt length that did not take into account short women vs tall women. I won't even go there.
  • I long for the day when women quit being "fashion slaves" especially in the workplace. Better to adopt a simple, professional wardrobe for work (jacket, slacks, skirt, reasonable shoes) in neutral, mix and match colors and leave it at that. Save the fun, sexy, bizarre outfits for the weekend!

How much simplier life would be!
  • One person's definition of fun, sexy, bizarre will never match another's. In a company of 95% females, I battle individual definitions all the time. Women will go to GREAT lengths to defend their personal style!
  • Thank you very much for the imput. It is as clear as mud, which I assumed it would be. I like the idea to look professional. It looks like we have to be careful of how we word our policy.