Identity Theft

I recently received from our payroll service a brief "memo" discussing identity theft. It states that we could elect to suppress ( unless you live in Calif.) the Social Security numbers from the check face and or pay statement stub, or both. My question is has anyone one out there done this?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our payroll service has already removed the ss # from both.

Chari
  • We have been using an employee number rather than the SS# for years.
  • Not only have removed the social security # from payroll checks. We have also gotten our health insurance carriers to issue identification numbers that are different from the social security number.
  • I highly recommend an employee number to identify the individual ee. I am a victim of ID thief and it is a real nightmare with a bad debt credit rating until you spend many hours and letters to all credit rating companies and all the credit card companies and all of the individual shops and markets that were used to my dismay not ready to believe it was not I that applied for the credit card, and that it was not I that used the 16 different credit cards in my name that I did not know I had for almost a year and $83,000.00 worth of bills. I was not getting the bills, they were going to a P.o. Box number unknown to me. The thief would make minimum payments by getting the pre-approved draft checks and would cash a check in my name pay aminimum payments and keep on charging. Once I found out I was able to begin to shut it down, and never found out who the other person was.

Use EMPLOEE NUMBERS AND HIDE, PROTECT THE EMPLOEE SSN LIKE YOU WOULD PROTECT YOUR OWN MONEY AND LIFE!!! PORK
  • Thanks for your input.

Tory