"I need more work"

The company that I work for is a large Court Reporting Firm. As the company grew, I was put in charge of the first HR department that the company ever had. We have 25 employees and about the same amount of Court Reporters. We are all learning the do's and don'ts of HR together. I understand that since the Court Reporters are Independant Contractors, I cannot continue to treat them as "employee's" in any way. I use to have files for all the Court Reporters and kept up with any changes, direct deposit etc. The company I work for is a VERY GOOD Company and very little turn over. I know I am very lucky, but I need more to do. Could someone please tell me what jobs an HR Administrator usually does...I am in charge of the Safety Committee, Administer Dental & Health Insurance, Simple IRA, Submit Time Cards for payroll, Keep track of sick, vacation, etc. There has to be more to it. I need more to do.
Thank you all.......:)

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do training (or coordinate) on personnel law for your staff.
  • This would be a great time for you to learn more about the operations side of your business. One of the biggest complaints many companys have about their HR dept is they don't really know the business of business.
  • In your post you mentioned that "the Court Reporters are Independant Contractors", you also mentioned that you provide benefits. If you are providing these independent contractors benefits, you could run into a big issue with dual employment. If you treat them like ees they are ees. Just be careful and read up on all the regulations. When ever I find myself bored, I start reading information about regulations which generally leads to more work. Keeping up to date on regulations is a huge part of my job.
  • We do not offer the Court Reporters Insurance because they are not considered employees. They have to get their own...Thank you for the advice...
  • What about developing and writing an employee handbook, policy and procedures manual, supervisors manual, etc. You could also create and deliver, or research providers for training on time management, goal setting, team building, problem solving, etc. Good luck as you grow your department and yourself! Barbara
  • Thank you for the great suggestions!
  • I'd be happy to hand over some of my work to you! x:D

You can read up on FMLA, ADA, COBRA, FLSA and a bunch of other laws that govern HR. You can also work on safety and workers' comp, employee relations, payroll, benefits administration, HRIS, internal audits and investigations, an employee performance review program, formal policies and procedures, employee handbook or informational benefit booklet for new hires, new hire orientation and training issues.

Good luck and welcome to HR!

LFernandes
  • Thank you! I am finding out that a lot of my work is research, reading and the internet....I just feel like I'm not doing enough and feeling a little guilty....I am use to a HEAVIER WORK load.I use to be in billing and had to have it all billed by the end of the day. It was a challenge. This is a much slower pace for me but I'm getting use to it. The more I become involved with the Safety issues I am finding out there is more work to it than what I was doing. I suppose that will happen with everything I do. I would be happy to help you with your work if I could:)
    I just want to make sure I am doing ALL of my job. I suppose if we had a lot of turn over I would be quite busy, but we don't. Any suggestions is really appreciated. I like being BUSY! Thank you..
    Liz