What's Your Opinion?

I'm just curious - I'm hiring for a position right now, and in the ad asked that people fill out an application and submit it with a cover letter. 99% of my applicants have mailed me a resume, no cover letter, and haven't even bothered to inquire about an application. And the phone calls! I am always inclined to toss aside resumes from people who can't follow directions and call me constantly (even when I didn't put my number in the ad), but some folks around here think that's harsh (I work in a social service agency - go figure). Feedback please - what's your practice?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If I cite specific things that I want in an application package and don't receive them it tells me that the applicant obviously can't follow directions and therefore immediately goes into my "C" stack.
  • If 99% of the applicants are doing it wrong, I wonder whether your ad was confusing to them. It seems confusing that you want an application with a cover letter (that's a bit unusual). They don't have the form for the application. So some may interprete that as you wanting a resume with a cover letter. If it were a lesser amount of applicants doing it wrong, I would ping them. But since so many don't understand what you want, you may want to rethink your ad.

Think about putting in your ad: Resumes will not be accepted.

Good Luck
  • The ad tells them to come in and get an application. We also have a website they can download the application off of. 99% maybe inflation on my part due to my frustration. Aside from that, I'm also interested in what are thoughts on people who call constantly. Am I the only person who gets annoyed by this?
  • I specify in my employment ads that unsolicited resumes or phone calls will not be accepted. Needless to say about 75% of resumes sent to me are unsolicited and are tossed, along with the people who apply and do not meet the qualifications stated. I also get tons of phone calls which I do not return "checking on their resume."

The way I look at it, if they can't follow simple written instructions, then they would probably make a lousy employee.
  • I agree with Theresa that if that many are doing it wrong, something must be amiss in the ad. We all get frustrated with phone calls when it's not part of our process. Sales people are notorious for NOT following instructions, subtle hints or screamed out instructions. They'll tell you every time that "We're trained to be persistent". A lot of it just comes with the territory; however, don't over react and feel free to tell them, "IT IS NOT NECESSARY FOR YOU TO CALL. I WILL BE IN TOUCH WITH YOU IF THE SITUATION WARRANTS". I also have told many people, "We're not going to do a phone interview. I'm reviewing all resumes/apps received and will call you if yours becomes a finalist in our review process."

It is also a fact that lots of people who see your newspaper ad do not have access to the internet and cannot easily download your application. It is odd for you to have them come to your place, cover letter in hand, and sit and complete an application and attach their letter to it and leave. Your process does seem a bit user-unfriendly. Maybe you can tweak it.

On a related note, when I have redesigned applications, I have always bolded the wording, "DO NOT STATE 'SEE RESUME'". I do not want to have to refer to a resume to see if the info asked for on the app is included which is doubtful. Still people will do it. 'C' stack, for sure.
  • Don~

I sometimes wonder if the importance of resumes is overstated. When an
    application says not to write "see resume", the resume itself becomes a moot point. It would be better, in that case - for the ad to say "no resumes
    accepted" !

Chari
  • We are constantly accepting applications and in the past, I could spend an entire day returning calls to people who were checking up on their application. We have now developed a postcard that we send out to all applicants that basically tells them we'll be in contact if we want to speak to them. This seems to have reduced the number of people calling as they are satisfied that they have received an acknowledgement of their application.
  • Excellent idea! I think we'll try something like that.
  • I also get a lot of applicants solicited and unsolicited who leave a message asking me to call them back about the status of their resume. I will not call them back - if I have called them that is different - it is fine to leave me a message asking for a return call.
  • I agree with the others. If directions are clear and they are not followed, their app. goes in the 'C' stack.

If they call on the phone (unsolicited) I will not return calls. If I am in I will take the call and answer questions which could not be answered from the ad. If the question could be answered by reading the ad, I suggest they read the ad to find out that particular answer. This usually cuts the calls pretty short.
  • I used to get tons of calls when we had our assembly lines but I put in an HR Hotline number. It was a regular extension but the outgoing voice mail message informed applicants of what positions were open, where to get applications and what number they should fax their resume to. I instructed my receptionist to direct all the calls there. That phone rung off the hook, but I just turned down the ringer because I didn't need to answer it.

Good luck!

LFernandes
  • It is not that the resume is not important, but our application requires specific dates, salary and other information. It also includes some legal language that the information contained is true and complete, how long aan application is "active", and that incomplete appications, or extra writing or indications not requrested will disqualify them from consideration. Of cours it also says if you falsify it and we find out you are termed.
    We are a merit shop contractor, so this is part of our employment practices. Often between the resume and the application there will be descrepencies. So that allows for an easy legal rejection of an applicant that is not a good fit.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree. I always require both a resume and a fully completed application for any position other than production positions, also require both for maintenance. It's true that each document offers a specific type of information and each meets specific needs of the company. It urks me to no end for somebody to scrawl across the application, "see resume", knowing that the resume answers almost none of the questions required on the application. These forms are NOT interchangeable, ever. Of all the positive thoughts the applicant has about himself, the resume contains those he thinks he wants me to have and that I'll be required to muddle through. The application gives me what I demand to know about them for business purposes. It's a bit of an IQ test to see the words "Do Not State 'See Resume'" followed by the words, "See Resume".
  • One of the reasons we require an application is that part of the application is a "philosophy statement" about domestic violence (we're a shelter). Believe it or not, people will write the most outrageous things on that statement and that helps prevent bad hires. If they don't fill out the philosophy statement - well, that's a clue to their work habits as well. I like having an application for information, and the all-important releases and signatures, but I like a cover letter when I'm hiring for administrative positions to see if they have any writing ability whatsoever.
  • Another reason for requiring the application is that it is SIGNED, whereas a resume is not. If there are misrepresentation issues later, you can always fall back on the information contained on the application.
  • I have to say that although it can get annoying when people call in to check on the status of their resume, I try to take into consideration why they are doing so. It is one thing if you say in your AD NOT to call, but when I used to work for Temp agencies, they told us it looked good to follow up and make sure the potential employer received your paperwork. This puts your name out there, and lets the employer know you are someone who follows through. It could be that this is how they are taught to look for jobs, and keep in mind that in this economy, many are probably desparate for work and aren't meaning to be pests, they just want to make sure all their ducks are in a row..and can you blame them? We also send out status letters (or emails if their email address is listed on the resume) to let the applicants know we received their resumes and will contact them if they are considered. This cuts down on quite a bit of calls as well.
  • We require applications and the resume is optional. The reason we do that is that the application is a "company" document whereas the resume is the individual's document. Our legal has advised us that we have more ground to stand on if the applicant falsifies a "company" document rather than their own prepared resume. I guess we were looking into firing someone after they have been hired because we found out things were untrue. At that time, we only had a resume and we were advised to be very cautious about firing this person. The applications have the applicant's signature with the statement was says that falsification can lead to immediate termination adn we feel better covered under that statement.

(by the way, this person inflated their experience which was quite evident as time went on and they ended up going through the regular disciplinary procedures and was fired anyway, we just had to wait longer than if we had that signed statement).