Background check authorization form

We have applicants complete a one-page background check form when they complete the application. It does contain their SSN, date of birth, previous address and drivers license number. The background check form is separated from the app and to the HR department and the application is forwarded to the hiring manager. What is your feeling on the liability or if this is in violation of a privacy issue? My e-mail is [email]DKPayne@theflyer.net[/email] Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My business is in Dental Health Care, we would like to hire an "IT Speialist" who would have access to our software which has private information regarding employees. SS,birthdate,salary etc. I would like to do a background check on this person. First, do I have to get his/her authorization to do this once they apply for position and if hired can I do so after the hiring process? Where can I get the form for the Background check?
    Thank You
  • One question for both posters so far is if your firm intends to do the background check or are you going to give that responsibility to a company that specializes in such checks? We use a company in Tennessee called Kroll Background America, Inc. that is nationwide and their release form is full of legal wording dealing with authorizations and releases, so this subject has potential legal problems for improper methods. Kroll can be contacted at 1-800-697-7189. Their prices and service have worked well for me, but I am sure there are many other firms that specialize in this line of work. My recommendation is to at least check into having someone else do the work and be liable. If you deny someone employment and they really wanted the job or feel discriminated against, you can bet they and their attorney will be looking at your background investigation methods.
  • Are you planning on doing the background investigation yourself or using a firm that specializes in background checks? We use a company called Kroll Background America, Inc., 1-800-697-7189, and they have very good service and rates. Their form is full of legal wording dealing with authorizations and releases, so this subject is full of problems for those who use poor methods and wording. Denying someone employment will open the door to legal challenges, which you don't want. My recommendation is that you check around your area and at least price out having someone do your checks and therefore assume the liability.
  • Sorry for the duplicate post. The system actually told me neither of my first two posts were successful, so I was just coming back to try again later. I can't remember the error message but it said something about contacting Jrobb somewhere.