Job Analysis, where to begin

I know that this task is a must. However, I have never attempted it before and am procrastinating. I do have some sample forms to collect the info I need. My question is, how will I get employees to take the time to review their work (for the very first time) to honestly and accurately complete the form? Is there another way to conduct a job analysis more effectively for us HR people with serious time constraints? O=*

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have tackled this in the past and I don't know that there is any way to speed up the process. You could try taking the questionnaires to employees and interviewing them (filling them out yourself) - this may speed things up. I also recommend that you give employees and supervisors questionnaires for the same jobs. That way you can find out what the job is supposed to be and what the person actually does. This can lead to some surprises - for management and employees. Good luck - it's a big job.

• >I know that this task is a must. However, I have never attempted it
    >before and am procrastinating. I do have some sample forms to collect
    >the info I need. My question is, how will I get employees to take the
    >time to review their work (for the very first time) to honestly and
    >accurately complete the form? Is there another way to conduct a job
    >analysis more effectively for us HR people with serious time
    >constraints? O=*

RESPONSE:
    I have found that employees may sometimes be intimidated by some of the questions asked on a job analysis form. This is due to the fact that they may not understand the question and therefore do a lousy job in giving the correct information.
    Forms should be user friendly.
    Employees need to know that there is a tie-in or advantage for accurately
    giving the correct information.
    Employees must feel that their pay will not be reduced becuase of the information they give. They should also know that it may not result in an upgrade or salary increase.

Supervisors/Team Leaders should work with the employee to get the inforamtion.
    As a new supervisor taking over a troubled department, I discovered that all employees were rated and classified the same regardless of assignments.
    I sat with each one and interviewed them to get the most accurate analysis I could get and then worked with our compensation department to rate/point the jobs.
    Their titles changed and some did receive a pay increase but the employee morale, confidence and recognition they received was valuable.

Sandra Vega
    HR Generalist