Payroll Check Pickup

I was just made aware of the fact that the individuals in charge of handing out paychecks allow people, other than the employees, to pick up paychecks without a written authorization to do so. This includes fiances, spouses, children, etc.. I think this is a major problem waiting to happen but am wondering what, if any, policy you guys have in place regarding this issue.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We require that employees have an authorization on file before allowing ANYONE else to pick up their check. We have a pretty small company (150 employees) in a small town, but this is a case where we figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
  • We have a small agency (130 employees). We require employees to give us written notification if they wish to allow someone else to pick up their payroll checks. Usually we ask the employee to give us the persons name and the date this person is coming to pick up the check. We even require notes for employees to pick up other employees pay checks. The agency is trying to be proactive so there will be no chance of any employee stating they never said this person could pick up their check. Our payroll person goes to the extent even the morning payroll checks are distributed and someone comes in with a note, payroll will call the employee to verify this is the correct person. I don't know how strict you are trying to be with your employees but it is best not to leave room for any error.
  • WE ALSO REQUIRE WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION TO ALLOW SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE EMPLOYEE TO PICK UP A PAYCHECK. IN ADDITION, WE DON'T ALLOW ONE EMPLOYEE TO PICK UP ANOTHER'S CHECK.
  • We don't have a policy, but when someone is hired in, we have a form that they are to sign and say where they want their check to go. If they want someone else to pick up their check then they write down the name on this form and only the name on the form can pick up their check. These are monitored very closely when others come in and ask for an employee's check.
  • Thanks for all your responses. I spoke with the company president who was not aware how this was handled and agreed that a policy needed to be put into place. I am currently working on a notice to all employees informing them that if they want someone else to be able to pick up their check, they need to provide that information to us. Only those people will be allowed to pick up a check and will be required to sign a form when the check is picked up. The notice will also state that we are no longer going to allow signed notes from the employees for pick up on a one-time basis as there is no way to verify the signature on the note. I'm sure this is going to go over like a lead balloon but feel this is the safest way to handle this.