Employee Suffering from Personal Abuse

If we have an employee who is being physically abused by her spouse and her immediate supervisor is aware of the situation, does her supervisor or we as a company have a legal obligation to report such abuse?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You do not have an obligation, and further you should be wary about inserting the company in this person's business. You can counsel the EE to take appropriate steps, and certainly work with her in regard to time off, EAP, but filing a police report is up to her.
  • I agree with Crout in that you and the company should be very, very cautious about any involvement other than as he suggests. In some states every person has an obligation to report such things as child abuse, abuse of the elderly in nursing homes and mistreatment of persons in Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities. But, that's not what you have in the stated case.
  • I work for a Domestic Violence shelter, and would ask that although you are not mandated to report the abuse, please offer this woman as much support as possible. Her supervisor should let her know that there are people at work she can talk to. Most importantly, give her the name and phone number for your local domestic violence shelter or similar services. They can help her safety plan, and talk to her about the resources available. She might need some time off if she eventually pursues a protective order. Be alert for her partner coming to the office or calling her on the phone. These are forms of intimidation that batterers often employ. Try to make her workplace as safe as possible for her and the rest of your staff. Again, no one at work should try to council her - the best thing you can do in that area is to provide her with the name and number for the local domestic violence program. I wish this person luck - she will need lots of support. There is a growing trend of businesses coming up with a response to domestic violence - it makes for a safer office, happier workers, and less liability for the employer. You can talk to your local services about developing a policy for your workplace.
  • That was a great suggestion. Thanks for making us all walk in those shoes for just a second. You do great work!!
  • The absolute hardest issue I had to deal with was an assistant with domestic abuse problems. It is not easy -- not only are you dealing with the employee's issues (absenteeism, harrassing telephone calls, inattention to work, emergency calls and on and on) but also with trying to maintain a professional and safe environment for the other staff. And for me, I was dealing with my own issues of "don't you understand you are in danger and your situation endangers all of us as well" and "why doesn't she leave, she is just asking for trouble". They are difficult, difficult issues. The employee was not facing facts, but we purchased some wonderful booklets called "Peace at Home -- Domestic Violence: The Facts" and she later told me it was an eye opener for her. I am glad ours was solved (without bloodshed).