Medical Emergency Policy

I am curious as to whether anyone has a written policy covering procedures on how to handle an employee medical emergency (911 called, etc.). We recently had a situation with an employee who was in need of emergency care, but was quite upset when an ambulance was called. What are our responsibilities as an employer in this type of situation?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This type of information is covered in our Emergency Response Plan as well as our employee handbook. Employees receive training annually on these types of issues.
  • Like LindaS, this information is covered in our employee policy and employee handbook. Recently due to current events in our country, we reviewed the policy with the entire staff. Sounds like you may wish to consider creating a policy for your company.
  • We also cover in our emergency plan and in our handbook. We have gone one additional step and have a vounteer medical response team. We pay for CPR, basic first aid and PDT training. Several people on the team are EMTs. I am the coordinator and I always tell my team, if in doubt call the ambulance and let them make the decision whether it is serious or not. I would rather have an employee upset because we called an ambulance and they turned out to be fine, then not to call an ambulance and have them die.
  • For those of you who have responded....thank you! I am curious as to whether you could share some of the wording of your policy with me. We are trying to develop one currently. My direct email is [email]christil@fbcu.com[/email]. Fax is 574-534-0768. Thank you!