Responsibility when employee reports he/she may be suicidal :-s

An employee has missed a lot of work. When asked about reasons for absences, employee first reported a series of personal health and emotional issues. Then, without being asked, employee reported to supervisor that a) employee has been actively considering suicide and b) employee's sibling previously committed suicide.

I am very concerned for employee. Does anyone have suggestions RE what we can do to encourage employee to seek psych/medical assistance, especially since the information employee has provided adds credence to the possibility of an actual attempt? Employee is covered under company health plan.

Ordinarily, we stay away from anything that might be considered "advice," but I've never faced this situation before.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here's what I think I might do. "John, I'm real concerned about a conversation you had with Robert on Monday. I want you to know up front that you are very valuable to us and the one and only reason that Robert discussed this with me and that I'm talking to you now is because we value you here and I want you to know that we are here to help. I want you to feel free to discuss this with me and I assure you that I will do anything within my power to help you work through this." My opinion is that you can afford to do nothing less than taking some immediate pro-active steps. If you have an Employee Assistance Program, call them immediately and ask for their involvement and guidance. It will help if you craft a way to reassure the employee that we all have personal issues and periodic periods of inner conflict and he is no different. If you don't feel equipped emotionally or otherwise to force a conversation and you don't have an EAP at your company or a professional medical person on staff, you might personally place an informational-request call to the mental health agency in your community, or failing that, to an organization in the yellow pages offering community counseling or assistance programs. If the agency simply advises you to have the employee call them, move on to another one who will give you a more meaningful approach. We do not have a formal EAP but I have found two resource organizations who are the contact point for those companies that DO and they are willing to discuss issues and options with me even though we don't utilize them on a contract basis. Of course they are hoping that we will in the future. Whatever you do, after you have done it, the next time you see the employee talk to him in private to let him know you meant what you said and that your support is genuine. "Hey friend, update me on what we talked about last Thursday." People in crisis don't necessarily shun assistance when they determine it is legitimate and sincere. The very worst of decisions, I think, is to do nothing but stand back and watch to see what might happen. Feel free to shoot this down.....but, these are just my personal thoughts. Don D.
  • In my opinion (and I would never claim to be an expert, but 20 years in Mental Health did give me a little insight), Don's thoughts are better than "personal thoughts" but make very good sense professsionally. I would follow his advice to a T. Do remember that ultimately, it is the employee who will have to make the decisions and choices and despite your best intentions and efforts, this may not have a happy ending. Good luck on this one and keep us updated. It is a tough situation.
  • Both "Dandy Don and Sonny" are right. My education background and 25 years in HR tells me your ee is calling out for "HELP"! I have two personal experiences in both cases the individuals were "quitely seeking out attention" and assurance that they were "someone", that their person and life were of value. I did not learn until after the fact that I was not the only person/friend that heard the call for "help" and did not register the sincere words spoken by the individuals. Both followed through and eliminated their over burdened understanding of the (their) meaning of life. My counseling background tells me to advise you to take some positive action and get the person involved with the professionals. Two close friends lost to me personally is very painful to me and their families. I might have helped had I ask the questions you posted! Follow "Dandy Don's" advice and your chance of personal satisfaction that you helped to the best of your ability and knowledge will be forthcoming.

Good Luck, Pork
  • Don and others - your advice is validating what my gut was telling me. I'll get on it. Thanks!