fired ,and is the reason legal?

firday i called into work to say that I would not be able to make it in. She replied with "well you have to youre the only other closer!" well I was in a car accident (rear ended) back in april and since then i have had chronic back pain and every now and they it flairs up BAD. and that was one of the days. well 5 min after we hung up she called back and said "you know dont bother coming in next week....just come in the pick up your check....i notice you have alot of pain...." blah blah blah. so what i am wonding....was it legal for her to fire me....i mean she implicated my back problem in her litte speech. i had never missed a day due to that....i left early ONCE and that was because of my morning sickness...it had nothing to do with my back. ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ramariz, There needs to be more answers to un-answered questions provided in your post before anyone could give you guidance! But given your posting as it is, I would seek more answers from your boss, who is obviously really upset with the amount of time that you must have had to take care of this medical condition. Absentism, tardy, and leaving work early can all lead to a seperation of employment relationship (FIRING). Your words paint a picture of little prior discussion of your being at work in order to take care of your responsibilities for which you were hired to do. A "closer" means to me you have reached a level of accountability that requires dedication to being there in order the shut the operation down and secure the facilities, if you can not do those functions due to your presence being "gone", then that must be a critical job task done by someone else and it reads like the someone else is your boss and he/she has had to cover for you to many times. Does she have the right to terminate you...that depends on State Law? In "an at will state" the legal question you ask is, yes he/she can "fire" you for no reason or some reason, in some states the answer is NO. You should seek an opportunity to speak with your boss and reconcile your issues! Pork
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-23-02 AT 01:12PM (CST)[/font][p]I have the same general approach as Pork does. There is some informaiton missing and therefore it's difficult to say just what is what.

Your absences....resulting from your back injury and your pregnancy....MAY BE covered under federal Family and Medical Leave Act and California's Family Rights Act and the Pregnancy Disability Leave Act (since you idncate you're in California).

Basically, FMLA/CFRA and PDLA absences may be prohibited from being "counted against the employee" if they meet the following criteria: FMLA and CFRA require an emplyer to have at least 50 employees, and requires the partiuclar employee to have worked for at least one year for the compnay and within the previous 12 months prior to taking the leave, have worked 1,250 hours. PDLA covers a California emplyer who has at least 5 emplyees and there is no time requirement for an emplyee. FMLA/CFRA give up to 12 weeks unpaid leave while PDLA allows up to 4 months. For FMLA and CFRA, the employee must have a serious health condition that is certified to by the physician. There is more definiton to serious health condition, especially if intermittent leave is involved, that you need to look at.

I bring these laws up because it is possible that your back injury may qualify for intermittent leave under FMLA/CFRA if all requirments are met. I'm not saying that it does, but certainly that possibility needs to looked at.

Take a look at the US Department of Labor Website, e-law advisor for FMLA ...
    [url]http://www.dol.gov/elaws/fmla.htm[/url]

Take a look at California's Department of Fair Employment and Housing regarding CFRA ... [url]http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/Statutes/cfra.asp[/url]

You don't say too much about the pregnancy and it's impact on your ability to work.

The basic question of whether it's legal or not for them to hold your absences against you as you have indicated, can't be answered until FMLA/CFRA is looked at and what you told your supervisor at the following the auto accident about your need for time off because of it, why you are taking time off, what the doctor is saying on your need for time off that results from your back injury, whether your absences can fall under intermittent leave.

Did you and your supervisor discuss the need for time off since April and whether FMLA/CFRA would be applicable? Was there any doctor's statement?

The immediate problem is that this is all after the fact. So, it depends on what you and your superivsor discussed when the need for the absences first due to the back injury and the pregnancy and whether or not you gave the supervisor enough information to put your employer on notice that your absences COULD fall under FMLA/CFRA and PDLA. It would have then become your employer's responsibility to discuss those laws and your rights with you (if your employer and you met the requirements) and then determine if your particular medical condition and need for absences due to your medical conditions (back injury and pregnancy).

I strongly suggest you take a look at those websites and get the information as it applies to your particular situation and then talk to your supervisor if it looks like your absences COULD or SHOULD have been covered under FMLA/CFRA and PDLA but weren't because your former employer didn't do what it was required to do. You may need to also talk to a lawyer. The nuances of who said what and when may be important.

• okay im trying to think of any other background that may be needed. I have had physical therapy and there is nothing more that can be tried that hasn't. the only medication i can take at this time is tylenol, which many know, does about nothing in the dose i am allowed to take being pregnant. So as for if i have had time to take care of this problem....i really feel i have done all i can. I do my stretches use the heating pad...cold compress, and they only aid for a matter of hours. A little note on that, i am at this time compileing all my medical records for that case and am pursing it as a legal matter.
    Now, back to the case at point. I have/had never missed a day due to my back pain. I left work 3 hours early ONCE because of my morning sickness, and I had never been late, including back from my breaks and lunch. the thing about this boss is that she does not have the experience that is needed for the position she is in. the assistant managers have pointed that out many times and one did so, to her, just a week 1/2 ago. she is irrisponsible to put it nicely. on my last pay check seh forgot to add 13 hours, and when i pointed it out the THIRD time was when she finally looked into it. she changes schedules at the last min and expects everyone to drop every plan they have. and when she does change the schedules....she does not even tell the person. now i know this is a job and i have a responsibility as a responsible employee to work when i am scheduled, but i am sure that everyone makes plans around their schedules...some you cannot change...how does that make you feel when you suddendly find out you do have to work. (I had a final and my group was only able to meet on monday at 5pm and she changed my schedule so i then had to work from 1-8...I called in and asked if she wanted me to come in from 1-4 and she said NO!) also....BEFORE i was even hired, i told her I had school and what hours i was there, 3 times she scheduled me durring school hours and i had to tell her, she never changed the hours that day she just said "i'll take care of it." is there any other background that you feel i should provide? and i appologize for not giving the full info in the first post....it was 9pm and i was just browsing the web for help in theis matter and stumbled upon this, thanks for the help.
  • Ramirez, are you saying that you've only be absent from work twice since April?...one for the back injury and one for the pregnancy. If so, it sdoens't sound like MFLA, CFRA and PDLA are applicable.

What has your overall attendance been like since you started with the company? Is this the first time that your sueprvisor has said anything about your attendance and your need to be at work?

I think you need to talk to your supervisor and her manager as well as to your employer's HR. Find out what he company's policy is on attendance.

God luck.
  • oh i guess i should have stated how long i have been with the company, sorry, since september. and yes that was the first time i had to call in sick. second time i missed any work. only time it related to my back and only time she refered to my problem. i was waiting to talk with the district manager until i was completely informed and knowledgeable of my rights on this...if any. I do not want to go in the ranting and raving about something i do not know. so are you saying that since i have not been there all that long i have no say in this. I thought that with my attendance record an being that she spacifically seemed to fire me because of my back problem that i could have some say in this. The last thing i want to do is go all sue happy but i would like her punished . this was something that i cannot help. i didnt ask to be hit and if anything i try to tough it out....i had gone into work before in pain but last friday i could not even turn my head or my upper body to either side. so i wouldnt have been able to drive into work being that i couldnt safely change lanes without looking. okay sory im rambling but it just urks me. if theres nothing i can do, i can get over it. but if there is anything, i'll go for it. oh and have a merry christmas.
  • I would consult an attorney who is an expert on FMLA laws in your state. If you've been at your job for a year and have worked 1250 hrs then you could qualify for FMLA if your circumstances permit.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-26-02 AT 01:09PM (CST)[/font][p]Pardon me if my inferences are wrong; but, I think your posts are replete with suggestions that you are struggling to get encouragement and input from others on how quickly, under what statutes and for how much you can sue your employer. And the personal attack on the supervisor does little to shift the responsibility from you to her. You mention 'sue happy' and 'building a legal case' and your primary interest seems to be gathering opinions of support that you should 'go after somebody'. No employer is obligated to accommodate such things as final exams or attendance at night classes or repetitive absences or tardies, even when you can tie those absences (weakly) to your own medical diagnoses and excuses for how you feel physically. Sorry, but employers do have a right to expect performance and maximum work output from employees rather than constant ill feelings and lack of reliability. The employer has a limited ability to operate in your world of unexpected absences and questionable dependability. Nor does she have an obligation to accommodate your schooling schedule unless she agreed to do that. I sense that you are rather young and I hesitate to suggest (but will anyway) that if you don't step your 'work maturity' up a notch or two, you are in for years and years of unhappiness in the workplace, not to mention a long string of job changes. Please seek a way to find common ground and work WITH your employer rather than adversarily. Good luck to you.
  • Don, Ramirez302 does say that she talked to the manager about her schooling BEFORE she started working there. Having kids who work while going to school, I know that many employers are willing to work around schedules. I think our old crumudgeon must be back and the lull we felt before Christmas is gone (at least until next Christmas).

However, I must say that I find it strange that she says she only missed twice (once for her back and once to leave early due to morning sickness) and then goes on to state that she couldn't work one time when she got scheduled to work during finals. Ramirez302, if I was the employer I would consider that a time when you let me down, at least partially, even if it wasn't exactly your fault. Did you try to find someone to fill in for you, or just leave it up to the manager? If you know she changes the schedule around, do you check it frequently to make sure all is ok and you won't be letting the company down if there is a schedule conflict? Having a manager with poor management skills is not an excuse for being a poor employee. Also, I can't help wondering how many other times you weren't there that you DIDN'T count as an absence but your manager did.
  • I hate to nit pick it NaeNae, but she did not 'discuss it' with the manager. In her second or third post criticizing the manager, she states, "I TOLD her I had school and what hours" and "Three times she scheduled me during school...". I see this as a bit different from 'having a discussion' about availability to work what hours and having a frank discussion about the employer being able to accommodate schooling and my ability or lack thereof to work a flexible hourly assignment. All the times my kids worked during school hours, I encouraged them to discuss any such conflicts with the owner or manager, but was sure they understood the decisions of the manager would rule; and would never suggest they sue him for screwing with their schedule. Having reread all the posts on this thread, I am still convinced there's more between the lines than ON them. As you suggest, it would be quite a contrast to read the manager's opinion of what has transpired here. A conversation with a compromise as an objective is still my idea of appropriate action.
  • I agree with you somewhat Don, but if I was a student applying for a job and told the manager when I had classes (again, BEFORE I was hired), I would expect the manager to speak up right then if it was going to be a problem. I guess I am nit-picking, but I would see a manager's silence on this occassion to be an agreement that they would work with me rather than just expecting me to show up no matter how often they changed the schedule. When my 2 daughters worked while going to college, it was always on the understanding that if the manager couldn't work around their schedules, they couldn't work for the manager. Only one time was there ever a conflict, and it was when the manager forgot. In that case, the manager apologized and never did it again. Of course, my daughter saw it as her problem too and worked at helping find a replacement for the period she couldn't be there and worked the part that she could (even though she should have been studying during that period).

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-26-02 AT 03:39PM (CST)[/font][p]I fully understand your scenario. But, I'm willing to bet none of the following took place in your daughter's case: (1) she never considered building a legal case on the manager, (2) She never said anything like "I want this person to be punished for this." or (3) Mama has taught me that to be 'sue happy' is the way to succeed in life. I'm not disagreeing on the points raised in the discussion; but, I can clearly see quite a bit between the lines. We indeed agree to disagree on that. Happy New Year x:-).
  • >[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-26-02 AT
    >01:09 PM (CST)[/font]
    >
    >Pardon me if my inferences are wrong; but, I think your posts are
    >replete with suggestions that you are struggling to get encouragement
    >and input from others on how quickly, under what statutes and for how
    >much you can sue your employer. And the personal attack on the
    >supervisor does little to shift the responsibility from you to her.
    >You mention 'sue happy' and 'building a legal case' and your primary
    >interest seems to be gathering opinions of support that you should 'go
    >after somebody'. No employer is obligated to accommodate such things
    >as final exams or attendance at night classes or repetitive absences
    >or tardies, even when you can tie those absences (weakly) to your own
    >medical diagnoses and excuses for how you feel physically. Sorry, but
    >employers do have a right to expect performance and maximum work
    >output from employees rather than constant ill feelings and lack of
    >reliability. The employer has a limited ability to operate in your
    >world of unexpected absences and questionable dependability. Nor does
    >she have an obligation to accommodate your schooling schedule unless
    >she agreed to do that. I sense that you are rather young and I
    >hesitate to suggest (but will anyway) that if you don't step your
    >'work maturity' up a notch or two, you are in for years and years of
    >unhappiness in the workplace, not to mention a long string of job
    >changes. Please seek a way to find common ground and work WITH your
    >employer rather than adversarily. Good luck to you.

Ummm...here I go...butting in again...but I fell like playing the
    contrarian for the moment: Her employer IS required to accomodate her if the medical condition prevents/interferes with a major life activity and her ability to do the essential functions of her job. Its called ADA. I'm sure you've heard of it?. Seems to me the timing of the discharge would create the inference that the discharge was retaliatory if she had invoked FMLA. Too bad she wasn't there a couple of months longer to trigger an FMLA claim. The inference would certainly defeat any employer's motion for summary judgement. And allow the case to go to trial on an FMLA claim.

As far as trying to get along with coworkers/emploryers, yes that is definately the best advice considering you have to be there 8 hours day. Might as well make it a happy 8 hours. On the other hand, at-will employment does give employers/managers a license to screw around with you and to harass those they feel are vulnerable or ignorant of their rights. Does not appear as common in places where employees are covered by a collective bargaining agreement(aka union) or civil service protection. I can tell you stories that would make your hair curl up on the back of your neck some of the things I've seen employers do
    to their employees for a variety of reasons. Its been my experience that most employers are not concerned with getting the "best" person for the job. Rather, they are looking to find the most "acceptable" person. I speake from personal experience. I consider myself to be the elite at what I do and as such have always gotten exceptional performance reviews. Yet I can show a long history of job changes,layoffs, firings, reassignments (i.e adverse employment actions)

I hate to say that I've lost faith in my fellow man, but I find myself putting things in writing more now than ever before and summarizing oral conversations with coworkers/management via e-mail.

All the Best..
  • Ah, Bubba. Hate to hear that you are somewhat discontented. I have found (finally) that it is far better to make lemonade from lemons than to make a log of how bitter the lemons were. Indeed we all do know the ADA well and how to negotiate that program. I remind you that to complain about feeling bad, miss days due to school schedules, etc. do by no means equate with the intent or procedures of the ADA. Much more is needed in the way of definition, medical documentation, an analysis of affected major life activities and an engagement in discussion with one's employer, not to mention ensuring that the employer is ADA covered in the first place. Absenteeism for schooling and morning sickness do not enjoy ADA protection. And, one cannot 'invoke protection of FMLA' if one is clearly not qualified for FMLA in the first place. Have a better '03. x:-)
  • Bubba: Since this is your first post, I shall refrain from making any comments on your "thoughts" regarding employers. But, I will stay tuned to hear what accomplishments you have made on the road of documentation via e-mail, etc. Please tell me, are you in HR?
  • Thanks, Don! I had composed an answer to this post, and deleted it, but it went along these lines: I'd like to hear the other side of this story, AND, maybe, just maybe, Ramirez could have noted that this is an employER forum, and while I don't like to see someone taken advantage of, this is not the site that she should have stumbled on for advice on how to build a case against her employer.
  • This is illustrative of the old adage: There are three sides to every story -- your side, my side, and the truth.
  • okay, I guess since i started this post, I should speak up here. 1) She told me before I started that she would work around my schedule 2) i said THE LAST this i want to do is to sue adn that if she is in the wrong i want her to know and apologize, if she was to really be in the wrong (illegal actions) i would expect that she would be punished 3)i did talk to her anout the problems i had with her. 3) about the day i could not come in because of finals....this is once again that scheduling thing we had discussed before i was hired.....and i didn offer to come in before or after the time i was busy with my plans and she dais "no that's okay" I just feel i was wrongly treated. If any of you knew this woman, you would see that she does not have the experience for the position she holds. Im not trying to bash here here. I mean you have to start as a manager somewhere to get the experience, I just think that she has this power trip going. and i will say to just forget this post. all i ask for was some tips. i like the feed back i have received and I do thank you all for it, good or bad. it makes me really see what rights i do have. obviously i do not have any legal ground in this matter so I will simply drop this and get over it. in this world there are jerks ( nice word for it) and I PERSONALLY believe she is one...say whay you may. but, once again, if you were to meet her and work with her i really think you would agree. thanks again
  • I am a personnel manager for a university. I have 50-60 students that I manage their work schedules. At the beginning of each semester it is required for the students to submit their school schedules. I then create work schedules. There are many scheduling conflicts. The students must tell me (well in advance if they can not make their work schedule). It does not take long to find out which students are dependable. I would not appreciate a student calling me after the start of his/her shift to say he/she could not work. A car accident or sick day happens. I call other students and they always try to help. One of the key components of scheduling is communication. I agree that there is missing information. I also believe communication/conversation with compromise is the appropriate action.
  • Hey Ramirez### It is time to put your time into getting on with life, this time spent on your computer and OURS in this particular "world of work" is not helpful. STOP POSTING AND GET AN ATTORNEY, I HOPE YOU WERE ONE OF MY EMPLOYEES AND WE'LL SEE YOU IN COURT ALONG WITH YOUR SO CALLED ATTORNEY THAT WOULD BE SO STUPID AS TO TAKE YOUR CASE! END OF POST FOR ME!!!$$$$$PORK